Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buckfast Lane

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Nah, think I'll abstain tbh. Me and my mate had an encounter with a group chavs there one Saturday night and they were carrying bottles of them. If that's what it does I think I would prefer the Tesco brand vodka. tbh.

I remember years ago now on a saturday afternoon two days after getting our final year college results sitting down by the canal going from wolfe tone bridge to the salmon weir drinking glorious bottles of buckie, and mothers and kids walking by with a look of disaproval on all of their faces, and we in possession of three honours degrees in electronics and potentially future captains of industry. We thought it hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

danniemcq wrote:
    then i discovered mixing it with red bull. :D

It was Fahy that told me first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

mix buckfast and nobleman and you get buckelman , once knew a guy that beer bonged a bottle of bucky :eek: quickest I ever drank one was 19 seconds must try that white rabbit drink sounds deadly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

It was Fahy that told me first!

yes i have to thank paddy for that one too.

and them many many hangovers i recieved after

danniemcq wrote:
    and them many many hangovers i recieved after

Hahahaha... Worth it though

*actually no!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

so back on topic rather than a oh lets see what we can do with bucky thread ummm has anyone got a proper pic of the sign???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭sgthighway

From a previous post but the original pic is gone:
    http://images.google.com/images?q=bu...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

But use your imagination and try and think of a picture of this fella http://www.travelwiseni.com/walk.jpg walking with a stagger and holding a bottle. The man was in yellow on a brown background with Buckfast Plaza wrote on it in white. I know who made the sign and where it was made (professionally done to EC Standards). I believe the sign is still in an apartment in Galway so if you know where it is put it up and make an anon call to Joe Shaughs to take a pic. It was great craic.

If the sign is not in the apartment I think it is; its down in the Council Yard at the back of Sandy Rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

All this talk of buckie makes me long to be back in galway (even though I was in galway at the weekend and drank a bottle of buckie).

I just wanted to say that I know 3 doctors who drink buckfast regularly, one of whom can knock a bottle back dangerously fast. I dont believe in mixing buckie with anything but maybe that's just a sign of my age (ie i'm really sensible now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

How much Bucky does it take for Knacker Dwarf to get locked?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

How much Bucky does it take for Knacker Dwarf to get locked?
    KD is immune to Buckfast. He does however get leathered on meths.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I dunno if I should feel sorry for him or jealous...

Robbo wrote:
    KD is immune to Buckfast. He does however get leathered on meths.

He also gets high on people's fear... He ingests it... like soup, slurping and gasping as he goes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

That sign was in sisters appartment in the spanish arch after it was taken down. That's going back 3/4 years now I'd say. I dunno if she still has it, but I've a picture of it somewhere. I'll take a look for the pic and post it if I find it. It was so funny at the time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

*Bump*

did the sign ever turn up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

There was a picture of in (I think) the Galway Advertiser If anyone can get access to back issues. Try early April from c 2000-02 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

when did buckfast first come to galway and how did it become so popular?which offys sold it originally and cud they also claim to be top 3 vendors in the world if the city is rated 3rd??i remebertalk of a possible ban 5 years ago,crazy talk!!i used to love it but think a bottle every now and again will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sword of light

I have a theory how it became so popular with the kids. I definitely remember this happening on the Eastside of the city. About 20 year ago, the only place you could get Buckfast was in a chemist because it was a "tonic" and something old people drank. A medicinal glass of "sherry" if you like, that doctors unofficially approved of. Basically, in those days you could do a message for your Gran/Grandad and pop to the pharmacy with a note from them saying;
    -it's Mrs So-and-so, give the lad my "medicine", I can't be bothered getting up to you in person.
    Don't forget this was a time when people trusted people and the neighbourhood would be on first name terms with their chemist/shopkeeper. It eventually got to the stage where the note wasn't needed because of familiarity, and then one brainwave later, all of a sudden Granny is upping her dosage to three or four bottles a week (without visiting the chemist) unbeknownst to her!!
    And as we all know, once you get the taste for tonic............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

galwayrush wrote: »
    apparently equal place with Glasgow for most sold worldwide.:eek:
    gre_soul wrote: »
    yeah spot it in the film trainspotting?

p.s. Trainspotting was set in Edinburgh not Glasgow

Most of the Edinburgh scenes were filmed in Glasgow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Heard a while back that Galway is not the place with most Buckfast consumed per capita, it has slipped to second place. The honour is now held by Monaghan.

For Shame lads, for shame. We have been letting down the side. We all have to get our drinking hats on and hit the bottles of B until we reclaim the crown! I shall see ye at slopeytown under the Quincentennial Bridge at nightfall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Davyhal wrote: »
    Heard a while back that Galway is not the place with most Buckfast consumed per capita, it has slipped to second place. The honour is now held by Monaghan.

For Shame lads, for shame. We have been letting down the side. We all have to get our drinking hats on and hit the bottles of B until we reclaim the crown! I shall see ye at slopeytown under the Quincentennial Bridge at nightfall!

Presumably that's why this major accolade was lost. Serious bush drinkers don't watch the clock, or wait for the cover of darkness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I dunno when it really started but i remember Thunderbird was drank before Buckfast became big. That was back maybe early 90's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

It even had its own dedicated periodical in UCG in the late 90s; Buckfast Supernova! :D

Advertisement