Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crash tests on youtube.com

Options
  • 03-08-2006 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭

There are a lot of car crash test videos on youtube. One that I've picked out is a Volvo estate rearending an Opel Ascona at 109 km/h. Opel crumples up dramatically.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQPca-aTlL0&search=volvo%20crash

A few comments on this
    -a modern Opel would fare better in this crash
    -if the Opel rear ended the Volvo instead of the other way around the Volvo would likely fare better than the Opel did
    -it is difficult to see if there is another vehicle in front of the Opel when it gets hit. If there is it is not surprising that the Opel crumples up so much as being sandwiched between two cars while being rear ended is a very dangerous situation.

There is another very similar crash test to this where a Renault 25 rear ends a Ford Orion, again the car that gets rear ended is completely destroyed. I don't know if this video is on youtube. It was shown during a road safety feature on the Late Late show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Makes a positive case for SUV's there doesn't it. I know a man who had an Opel Ascona and was rear ended like the one in the video and couldn't get out of the car because the doors jammed when the shell crumpled. A deathtrap of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

junkyard wrote:
    Makes a positive case for SUV's there doesn't it.

Eh, no. If safety is paramount, buy a large saloon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

A large saloon will burn just as much fuel as an SUV and its more than likely the saloon will run on petrol rather than diesel which most SUV's run on. Anyway I have an SUV and a few large cars so I'm safe if I get rear ended.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Those cars are donkeys years old. Any up to date tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

junkyard wrote:
    Makes a positive case for SUV's there doesn't it. I know a man who had an Opel Ascona and was rear ended like the one in the video and couldn't get out of the car because the doors jammed when the shell crumpled. A deathtrap of a car.

Yeah, jesus, I wish I had an SUV after watching that. Oh wait, it was a volvo estate that was hardly damaged. You don't need to get a large saloon to have a safe car, a medium sized one that is well designed will be as safe as an SUV. I see you are buying into the perceived safety of an SUV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Just to back it up a little bit, euro ncap ratings are here:
    http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/ratings.php?id1=2

BMW X5 and Citroen C5 both get 5/5 for adult occupant safety. C5 is a pretty big saloon, comes with a diesel engine though. C4, which is a small family car, also gets 5 stars.

I think this sums it up extremely well, from the euro ncap faq: http://www.euroncap.com/content/answers/faqs.php
    20. Are large cars safer than small cars?
    In frontal impacts between cars, the occupants of the heavier car or the one with higher structures tend to fare better than those travelling in lighter lower cars. It should be noted though that higher vehicles tend to be less stable and consequently more likely to be involved in accidents, particularly those involving loss of control, where overturning or an impact with a roadside obstacle may occur. These effects are currently impossible to overcome. As most people decide on the size of the car to buy for other reasons, Euro NCAP only makes comparisons within size categories. The rating of a car within its size category is a function of the quality of its safety design.

Advertisement