Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5000 dogs slaughtered in Yunan - Animals Asia needs your help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Hmmm ...I don't know ...

Obviously I'm against all forms of animal cruelty and obviously I'm abhorred at the thought that there are people out there farming dogs and cats for eating ...

BUT

To me this whole thing just smacks a tiny bit of western superiority ...teaching "our Asian friends" the "right values" kind of thing.

As long as the western world dresses itself in fur, eats mass produced eggs from caged hens for breakfast, tortures mice,rats, rabbits, dogs & monkeys for cosmetics research, keeps millions of pigs and cattle in industrialised sheds for meat and milk and breeds its "pets" into degenerative, sick, pityful fashion accessories ...

...we might be better off sweeping in front of our own doors and trust other cultures to sort out their own (animal related) moral issues on their own accord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Jesus couldn't agree more
    This country is a disgrace when it comes to animals and animal welfare.

Not saying for one minute I am not shocked by that but we do need to look to our own country before telling others how to do what we can't do ourselves - I know what I mean :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

This is bad, but how is it any different from the slaughter of chickens, cows and pigs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

It is very easy to say: "Ah, we can´t tell them what to do" - and do nothing about anything that goes on cross borders. Perhaps it is not different from how chickens get their heads chopped off and all that but that´s hardly the point. The point is that animalsasia.org is at least trying to get some rights acknowledged for animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If you find a a non-militant organisation / website that promotes better rights for animals in Irish law ... I'll support that in a flash.

But I'll let other nations handle their own affairs ...at least until such a point in time when I can rightfully point to this country and say "This is how it should and could be done"

And what is more cruel / morally wrong ...breeding dogs for slaughter or breeding them for titilation (i.e. greyhound racing) ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

5000 dogs slaughtered in Asia??
    At least they are using them for a "purpose" albeit food.

How many dogs a year are un-nesscesarily(sp?) slaughtered over here just because the owners dont want/cant keep/dont have time etc etc for the dog any more.

Id be more concerned with looking after our own animal welfare policies than bitching about some Asian one where dogs and cats have always been a food source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

What about HUMAN rights in Asia?

Life is all about priorities and it appalls me to think that anyone would care more about animals than people.

Curious that for an "Asian" organisation, only one of its offices is in Asia. As an earlier poster stated, we need to get our own house in order before we can start to impose our western "values" on them. Just because we see dogs as pets, it's not for us to judge their perspective.

After all, if I go to a farm and see a lamb, in my mind I'm looking at a tasty Sunday roast.

Advertisement