Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whos Better? Snakebite or Celestial Ring?

Options
  • 03-08-2006 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Rich_Why

Price wise I think snakebite might be like 5 euro less and hour, but where as the better artists. I'm starting to make my mind up on the tattoo I want and its looking like it will take about 10 hours or so. Which one do you guys recommend I go to?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Depends on the style of the tattoo, what are you thinking of?

Oh and as far as I know all the different artists have different rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

I wouldnt be too keen on the tattoo artists in Celestial Ring to be honest,
    Ive seen the pictures they hang up outside the place and some of them look awful, great place to get pierced though!

Couldn't tell you about Snakebite

Celestial ring has some fantastic artists, the stuff in the window is old. You need to ask to see the artists personal portfolio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 13_adi_13

Not enough info! Give us more details on the style - you need to choose the best artist based on the style of work. Don't tie yourself to any particular studio. Maybe the best guy (or girl) for the job is in one of these studios, maybe they're elsewhere........
    BTW Snakebite are 95-100 per hour and Celestial Ring are 100 per hour (but I reckon if you're getting a big piece you'll probably get a better deal!)
    Not sure what Garth_V means about the "awful pictures" in CR - are you talking flash or portfolio? And do you mean that they are badly executed pieces or just not to your taste?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 freckled fairy

mick in stigmata did a class tattoo for me it took over an hour and it cost 120 euro. it was my first tattoo and he took lots of time with me everyone is amazed at how beautiful and detailed it is even people who dont like tattoos. i hardly bled and i didnt scab just a small bit of peeling a few days later it was healed in a week not sore getting it done or after. . amazing couldnt recommend him enough cathal and wally are supposed to be good too. they have a web site.www.stigmata-tau.com. spotless place. they are in swords co. dublin you should check them out:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lorri_L

I have to say I have no experience in Snakebite but I wouldn't go to celestial ring. I had an appointment with one of the artists there and i showed up 5 minutes late. because of traffic. When I went up and asked for him I was told that he had to go home. The guy then walked out of the back of the shop and was really rude to me as if I let him down. W****r!

In his defense though, his work that I saw is amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭obrien_pa

mick in stigmata did a class tattoo for me it took over an hour and it cost 120 euro. it was my first tattoo and he took lots of time with me everyone is amazed at how beautiful and detailed it is even people who dont like tattoos. i hardly bled and i didnt scab just a small bit of peeling a few days later it was healed in a week not sore getting it done or after. . amazing couldnt recommend him enough cathal and wally are supposed to be good too. they have a web site.www.stigmata-tau.com. spotless place. they are in swords co. dublin you should check them out:)

I'd have to agree with everything freckled fairy said about Stigmata Tau. I've had tattoos done in Bren's, Dragon and Zulu tattoo shops in town - no complaints with any of them..but Cathal and Mick in Swords are two of the best artists I've seen and they are dead sound as well. Their shop is well worth a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Rich_Why

Cheers for all the recommendation guys. I think swords is just to much out of the way. I went into Snakebite yesterday with some pictures of what I'd like done and they told me it will take about 5 to 6 hours at about 90 an hour. Its a kind of Aztec Tribal sleeve, shoudler to wrist, Black-Grey-Red.

Rich_Why wrote:
    Cheers for all the recommendation guys. I think swords is just to much out of the way. I went into Snakebite yesterday with some pictures of what I'd like done and they told me it will take about 5 to 6 hours at about 90 an hour. Its a kind of Aztec Tribal sleeve, shoudler to wrist, Black-Grey-Red.

..That sounds cool. 5-6 hours seems relatively short to get a whole sleeve done though? Is that for the drawing, outline and shading and everything?

obrien_pa wrote:
    ..That sounds cool. 5-6 hours seems relatively short to get a whole sleeve done though? Is that for the drawing, outline and shading and everything?

I'm not sure, I'm just quoting what the chap from Snakebite said yesterday. I ****ing can't wait to get it started! Whenever I get the cash together! I'm heading to a couple of festival over the next month as well, so better to wait until their out the way I guess.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 SaladFingers

Definately Celestial Ring. I get everything done there are they are fantastic and i love them all.
    I've only ever visited snakebite briefly though...but really...celestial ring is the only place for me!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭sideFX

Lorri_L wrote:
    When I went up and asked for him I was told that he had to go home. The guy then walked out of the back of the shop and was really rude to me as if I let him down. In his defense though, his work that I saw is amazing!
    I had a similiar prob. had an apponitment, took a half day from work, went down to be told the chap wasn't in. another bloke was gonna do it but said there was nothing he could do (it was a cover up). tbh he was quite rude and very unhelpful. but in fairness to one of the other blokes he said i'd be better off waiting. anyway, they squeezed me in 2 days later, another half day from work. Have to say it was a great job and i'm glad i waited. all's well that ends well but they had my mobile no. and shoulda really rang me to tell me the first time. i was livid, what a waste of a half day holiday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I think you need to follow an artist and not a studio as someone else has already said, the standard in CR is too up and down though, they have some of the best artists but without a doubt they also have some of the worst, if you dont know what you are looking for then the chances of getting stung in CR are better than in Snakebite, but that said I would tend more towards heading to other studios anyway.

Blub2k4 wrote:
    I think you need to follow an artist and not a studio as someone else has already said, the standard in CR is too up and down though, they have some of the best artists but without a doubt they also have some of the worst, if you dont know what you are looking for then the chances of getting stung in CR are better than in Snakebite, but that said I would tend more towards heading to other studios anyway.

Definitely agree that you need to go by artist rather than studio, but don't agree that some of CR's guys are dodge - reckon some are better than the rest, but the studio standard is pretty good, actually don't know of any studio where everyone is on a uniform level - who do you reckon doesn't make the grade there (and elsewhere)?

13_adi_13 wrote:
    Definitely agree that you need to go by artist rather than studio, but don't agree that some of CR's guys are dodge - reckon some are better than the rest, but the studio standard is pretty good, actually don't know of any studio where everyone is on a uniform level - who do you reckon doesn't make the grade there (and elsewhere)?

I dont want to name names, but there was discussion of one of the CR artists (SG branch) here a while back (he's always "at it again"), he couldn't tattoo his way out of a paper bag, and the fact that someone is allowing him to tattoo actually writes the studio off for me cos it means the CR owners dont actuallygive a **** about the standard of their artists and dont care if people get ****ed up.
    I've also heard stories here and there but dont know for a fact so I'll keep those ideas to myself too.
    I dont want to destroy anyones livelihood and I dont know when I might see them personally on a convention or that, so make your own mind up, I'd rather someone asks about someone specific rather than me picking names to judge.

I dont know how the likes of wally or Mick would work alongside some of the others, cos it's damaging their reps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Isadora

Blub2k4 wrote:
    I dont want to name names, but there was discussion of one of the CR artists (SG branch) here a while back (he's always "at it again"), he couldn't tattoo his way out of a paper bag
    Everybody knows who you're talking about. Anytime CR is mentioned in a posting you get your dig in about Trevor Magee.
    Well, despite "not wanting to damage anybody livehood" you'll to glad to hear that due to personel problems Trevor Magee has not worked as a tattooist in CR nor anywhere else since last January.
    By the way, he was brought into CR by Mick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ninel

Blub2k4 wrote:
    I dont want to name names, but there was discussion of one of the CR artists (SG branch) here a while back (he's always "at it again"), he couldn't tattoo his way out of a paper bag, and the fact that someone is allowing him to tattoo actually writes the studio off for me cos it means the CR owners dont actuallygive a **** about the standard of their artists and dont care if people get ****ed up.
    I've also heard stories here and there but dont know for a fact so I'll keep those ideas to myself too.
    I dont want to destroy anyones livelihood and I dont know when I might see them personally on a convention or that, so make your own mind up, I'd rather someone asks about someone specific rather than me picking names to judge.

I dont know how the likes of wally or Mick would work alongside some of the others, cos it's damaging their reps too.

Hmmm, aren't you contradicting yourself here? I absolutely agree with what you say about recognising artists and their abilities as separate entities from the studio they currently work out of - but you seem to have ignored your own advice and written off this studio because you don't like one of the artists there. You make a lot of valid points, and give out good
    (if sometimes sarky :) )advice to newbies, but you seem very biased about this particular subject.
    Obviously, it would be very unfair to start naming names and might result in losing someone their livelihood, but aren't you in effect doing precisely that to all the guys working there by continually beating this particular drum about CR? I really don't think Mick's or Wally's reps've been damaged at all - they are both great artists, and any post I've read about Stigmata is always 100% positive (and rightly so).
    Wouldn't you do better to take it up with the artist and/or studio concerned rather than always going on about it in this forum? it gets a bit tired, and detracts from my opinion of an otherwise sound and sensible member....

Isadora wrote:
    Everybody knows who you're talking about. Anytime CR is mentioned in a posting you get your dig in about Trevor Magee.
    Well, despite "not wanting to damage anybody livehood" you'll to glad to hear that due to personel problems Trevor Magee has not worked as a tattooist in CR nor anywhere else since last January.
    By the way, he was brought into CR by Mick.

Fair enough, he's not there anymore, I'm not the only one who held that opinion.

Well with all advice/arguments taken on board. Does anyone, after reading the description of what I'm looking for of course, recommend a particular artist who maybe known for their particular skill with tribal tattoos?:confused:

Rich_Why wrote:
    Well with all advice/arguments taken on board. Does anyone, after reading the description of what I'm looking for of course, recommend a particular artist who maybe known for their particular skill with tribal tattoos?:confused:

I reckon John in CR or Wally in Stigmata are best for that work - whoever you decide,do a show & tell after you've had it done?

With ref to Blub2k4 - yeah, I reckon we need to focus on the positive here - c'mon and post on a new thread 'Show & Tell' about your favourite artist(s)

• Advertisement

Again thanks for the advice, but whenever I get it done (i.e. can afford it) I think the pics are been reserved for the "I'll show you mine, if you show me yours" thread. Its the place to be man

13_adi_13 wrote:
    I reckon John in CR or Wally in Stigmata are best for that work - whoever you decide,do a show & tell after you've had it done?

With ref to Blub2k4 - yeah, I reckon we need to focus on the positive here - c'mon and post on a new thread 'Show & Tell' about your favourite artist(s)

I've seen some of John's work, he's an amazing artist, I can't wait to get a piece from him.

Ninel wrote:
    Hmmm, aren't you contradicting yourself here? I absolutely agree with what you say about recognising artists and their abilities as separate entities from the studio they currently work out of - but you seem to have ignored your own advice and written off this studio because you don't like one of the artists there. You make a lot of valid points, and give out good
    (if sometimes sarky :) )advice to newbies, but you seem very biased about this particular subject.
    Obviously, it would be very unfair to start naming names and might result in losing someone their livelihood, but aren't you in effect doing precisely that to all the guys working there by continually beating this particular drum about CR? I really don't think Mick's or Wally's reps've been damaged at all - they are both great artists, and any post I've read about Stigmata is always 100% positive (and rightly so).
    Wouldn't you do better to take it up with the artist and/or studio concerned rather than always going on about it in this forum? it gets a bit tired, and detracts from my opinion of an otherwise sound and sensible member....

Ok, so I stay quiet about CR so the fans and the desk jockies dont have to listen? I dont think so, I will keep the opinion that CR is the McDonalds of the Dublin tattoo scene, you can hold your own opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Blub2k4 wrote:
    I will keep the opinion that CR is the McDonalds of the Dublin tattoo scene, you can hold your own opinions.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ninel

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Ok, so I stay quiet about CR so the fans and the desk jockies dont have to listen? I dont think so, I will keep the opinion that CR is the McDonalds of the Dublin tattoo scene, you can hold your own opinions.

Keep your knickers on sweetheart - my, my you really do have a hard-on for Celestial Ring don't you? Are you being paid for your opinions or is it just a hobby for you? Well I guess if you're going to be such a reactionary dickhead, we'll have to consider all your opinions with a big truckload of salt...

Ninel wrote:
    Keep your knickers on sweetheart - my, my you really do have a hard-on for Celestial Ring don't you? Are you being paid for your opinions or is it just a hobby for you? Well I guess if you're going to be such a reactionary dickhead, we'll have to consider all your opinions with a big truckload of salt...

Hey, everybody's entitled to express an opinion. No need to get into name-calling!! I personally think it's the artist that matters, no matter what studio he/she works from - but at the same time - good studios gain a reputation by taking on good artists. One bad tattoo by an artist can wreck the reputation of a whole studio and reflect badly on everybody working there..maybe that happened in CR?!?

obrien_pa wrote:
    Hey, everybody's entitled to express an opinion. No need to get into name-calling!!

Think Ninels going a bit overboard there, but actually I agree in essence with what he's saying. i think that Blub2k4 tends to go a bit OTT too where CR is concerned - and besides didn't someone say that the guy in CR he didn't like had left ages ago? I think there's underlying personal issues between these guys and/or between Blub and CR. Maybe it's time to take it outside guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Karona_Marona

As we are talking about Celestial Ring, im gonna put my 2 cents in...

When i was pricing my tattoo in different studios i headed over to Celestial Ring and the guy there (not naming names) literally laughed in my face when i showed him what i wanted,:mad: i didnt think that was very professional, anyhow, when i was telling him what i wanted he started singing to some song on the radio and his eyes were all red and bloodshot which looked to me like he was after doing some hash.

Anyhow, i walked out of there very disappointed, so i went to Zulu and Paul there was so lovely, he gave me a price for it and booked me in with Sean who was very helpful and have gone back to since.

A friend of mine came home from England to get a tattoo done in celestial ring and after much begging from me telling her not to go there (i heard lots of stories since i got my tattoo) she went against my advice and she is utterly disappointed with her tattoo and is already thinking of getting a cover-up even just after 3 weeks of getting it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I got my upper right arm tattoo done in Snakebite ..but i can't seem to recall the artists name (been over 3 years now :p) ..If i recall correctly it started with an 'R' ..maybe if somebody posted up the names of the artists it'd jog my memory.

Charged me 270 euro for 3.5 hours work, it's all black/shading and to be honest i think it's superior to the work i witnessed in artists portfolio's in CR and Zulu.

But as everybody says, it's just my two cents and my opinion ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Isadora

Karona Marona "Anyhow, i walked out of there very disappointed, so i went to Zulu and Paul there was so lovely, "

Ahem!! Would that be the same Paul who works in Zulu AND Celestial Ring?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement