Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Latest 'Clampdown'

Options
  • 03-08-2006 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭

OK, so the Gardaí say they're going to be out in force this weekend. I'd be interested to see everyone post how many miles they cover from now until Tuesday morning and how many checkpoints the encounter. That might give us a reliable 'average miles per checkpoint' number

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Im headin from dublin to kerry on sat mornin, I could be the first person to clock up the 12 (i think) penalty points on a one triper to be banned!!
    Only have to get caught speeding 6 times on the trip maybe make d odd mobile call :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

OK, so the Gardaí say they're going to be out in force this weekend. I'd be interested to see everyone post how many miles they cover from now until Tuesday morning and how many checkpoints the encounter. That might give us a reliable 'average miles per checkpoint' number
    Out in force doesnt have to mean check points, ya know? They may be patrolling around catching knobs who cant use roundabouts/hog the over-taking lanes/break red lights/use the fone constantly, etc. Why, does it bother you if you dont see many checkpoints. :rolleyes:
    Theres not much positive road safety being done through checkpoints. A person may have all their tax/insurance/nct disks and license to show at a check point and let through to continue on their incompetent manner. What goods your little checkpoint their?

Check points should only/mostly be outside pubs where they can double up as drink driver detectors and tax collectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Nuttzy wrote:
    Theres not much positive road safety being done through checkpoints. A person may have all their tax/insurance/nct disks and license to show at a check point and let through to continue on their incompetent manner. What goods your little checkpoint their?

Perhaps if there was a realistic probability the around the next corner there would be a checkpoint/speedtrap/garda car in a layby, etc.., people might drive in a more responsible manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Nuttzy wrote:
    Theres not much positive road safety being done through checkpoints. A person may have all their tax/insurance/nct disks and license to show at a check point and let through to continue on their incompetent manner.

Sorry, I meant speed checks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Shouldn't they be doing these checks everyday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Darando

tbh I will bet that the number of drink driving offences with the random tests will be quite high this bank holiday esp if its sunny- beer gardens etc...- isnt it the 1st bank holiday since its introduction.

And for one I hope that they catch as many as possible. no excuse for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've about 400km to do at the weekend - between 1930h and 2100h and again between 0100h and 0300h on both Friday and Saturday. I'll be drinking but the driver will be as sober as a judge. I'll be heading out on Sunday evening too - wife will be driving as she's pregnant. It'll be interesting to see how many times I encounter An Garda Síochána.................. I'll post here on Monday evening.

Maybe I should talk to Paddy Powers first!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

OK - I'm back from all the driving. We were stopped on Friday evening at 2100h on our way into Tullamore. Big Garda presence. 2 Bikes and 2 cars. and about 7 or 8 Gardaí. It was an obvious 'presence' stunt. The driver of our van was approached by a trainee Garda (nice looking lady and very pleasant, btw). No random breath test. That was it - no more checkpoints.

I've a bit more to do around Dublin tomorrow evening, but ony about 20km and I'll report my findings - if any............

Advertisement