Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Fridge: How long before plug-in?

Options
  • 03-08-2006 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

At the store (Harvey Norman) the man told us leave the fridge 24 hours before plugging it in, to let it settle.

The delivery guy said that the new fridges don't need 24 hours, just 2 or 3, then plug in and away we go.

Don't want to mess up a brand new fridge, but also would like to have it functionning as soon as possible!

Does anyone know who is right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If I understand correctly it is only if they have been jolted around or laid down flat that they need to be left for 24 hrs as the oil can move around and give trouble to the compressor.
    I had mine stored upright for ages before I plugged it in.
    My friend brought his down in a trailer and plugged it in and the fridge never worked right, what harm in leaving it for 24 hrs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

I used to deliver for an electrical shop, 2-3 hours is grand imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

tw0nk wrote:
    I used to deliver for an electrical shop, 2-3 hours is grand imo.
    Not trying to sound rude, but how many of the fridges you delivered did you ever have to use.
    2 to 3 hours coiuld be ok, but 24 definately is.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Thanks for the replies guys. Went to give fridge a wipe down, and one of the gliders for the crisper is broken. Raging.

Another day fridge-less!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I also work in an electrical store, and CJhaughey is right to an extent. Though, for warranty purposes, we recommend everyone leave the fridge off for the 24 hour period. Particularly US Side-by-Sides, as these would be a nuisance to pull out and fix! :)

Garth, what's a crisper? Is that the Veg box at the bottom? Could they not just arrange somebody to fix the gliders/crisper? Be handier than changing the entire fridge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Jesus - I never heard any of this before. Any fridge I ever bought I just plugged in as soon as it was delivered. :eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Jesus - I never heard any of this before. Any fridge I ever bought I just plugged in as soon as it was delivered. :eek:
    Ever been to Cherry Orchard :D

delly wrote:
    Ever been to Cherry Orchard :D

???? The only thing I know about Cherry Orchard is that it is near Ballyfermot and there used to be a fever hospital? there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

???? The only thing I know about Cherry Orchard is that it is near Ballyfermot and there used to be a fever hospital? there.
    Thats the one, but its known as a hospital to go to if you have food poisioning ;)

delly wrote:
    Thats the one, but its known as a hospital to go to if you have food poisioning ;)

Ah yes, I'm with you now. (I've been lucky then so :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭hughm

I spent 2 weeks in Cherry Orchard hospital with food poisining 18 years ago......Now I know why, I'm gonna kill my parents for not leaving their new fridge for 24hrs:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Me too!
    Never heard of this.
    Delly I'm working in the Cherry Orchard Ind. Est. so I'll just have to drag my dying body across the road.
    *Phew*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

Me neither and I'm still alive........after 4 fridges and 5 freezers...:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

most manufacturers manuals say this but the truth of the matter is the gas only fully "settles" after it's been running for about 1-2 weeks regardless of how long you leave it standing there.

thats what all the gurgling / cracking noises are on a new fridge it's the high pressure system of the fridge settling

Advertisement