Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible Last Mile is thwarting my connection?

• 03-08-2006 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

Its strange, but I have noticed in the last 2 weeks or so that any of my P2P programmes are lousy in download speeds, whereas my general surfing connection seems to be (more or less) unaffected. Is it possible, does anyone know, if Last Mile (or even any other ISP, out of curiosity) are able to cap the bandwidth on P2P programmes remotely somehow? Its pissing me off that they're slow enough already. I'm just waiting for the remaining 2.5 months to go, then my contract is up and I can go with a faster landline provider for less money than these showers...

Seanie.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Prioritisation of certain traffic along with traffic shaping is technically possible , yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Jeeze, that was a quick reply Spongebob! Don't get out much? :P

Would you mind elaborating a bit more on that for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Seanie M wrote:
    Would you mind elaborating a bit more on that for me?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_shaping

Foxwood wrote:

Thanks Foxwood. I like the Traffic Shaping and BitTorrent bit... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

M0n0wall is a common enough firewall used by Isp's to throttle down p2p stuff.

• Advertisement

Is there anything I can do to try and regain my full speed bandwidth at all?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

vpn bittorrent

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

try changing your port from the default to a custom one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Try encrypting the torrent protocol... should be in the options of the latest versions of Azureus & uTorrent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Seanie M wrote:
    Its strange, but I have noticed in the last 2 weeks or so that any of my P2P programmes are lousy in download speeds, whereas my general surfing connection seems to be (more or less) unaffected. Is it possible, does anyone know, if Last Mile (or even any other ISP, out of curiosity) are able to cap the bandwidth on P2P programmes remotely somehow? Its pissing me off that they're slow enough already. I'm just waiting for the remaining 2.5 months to go, then my contract is up and I can go with a faster landline provider for less money than these showers...

Seanie.

hi seanie, im in the same boat as you mate only i have to stay with the cowboys as ill never get landline bb:mad: and yes i found that in the last 8 weeks or so my p2p programs Are crap, getting download speeds of 1kbps to 10kbps. if only there was an alternative to these fcukers for people who live outside towns they would be out of business over night.

• Advertisement

Lads you cannot have full blown p2p programs running on a wireless network or any other network for that reason either. If an isp did not block them or use a firewall no one on the network would have a good connection. P2P programs on a network are unforgiving, they just "gobble" up bandwidth if allowed. It's just pure fact, it would not work out. And from what I have heard about the bad connections recently from lastmile, if they did not have some sort of a firewall in place with speeds the way they are....well you can just imagine what it would be like then.

I appreciate that fact bigpaddy, but if there are a couple of subscribers on the same connection e.g. 3, doesn't that mean I will only get a third of the incoming last mile bandwidth anyway? And if so, should my p2p not be getting its full thrid share from my end anyway, making my own local connection while surfing other sites suffer?

I guess, with their methods of managing the bandwidth, I would have too much of a problem if their conection was faster again anyway, know what I mean? (on a 512Kb connection with last mile... throttling of my connection would not appear so bad if I was on e.g. a standard 1Mb connection on a landline)

Seanie.

slave1 wrote:
    try changing your port from the default to a custom one

I'm not accustomed on how to make such changes.

Try encrypting the torrent protocol... should be in the options of the latest versions of Azureus & uTorrent.

Don't use either. Just using the standard ones of Limewire and Beashare.

Wireless is unlike dsl where a provider can provision say 20 people an a dedicated 1 meg line. But when you are on wireless, everyone is on the one dedicated line so to speak. The whole wireless network is connected together. The only thing that can be done to an over subscribed network is to add more backhaul. I do no though that if you buy a subscription to limewire which is about €50 a year, lastmile will not be able to block it on you. I have hands on experience with this working even if the relevant ports are blocked.

I do no though that if you buy a subscription to limewire which is about €50 a year, lastmile will not be able to block it on you. I have hands on experience with this working even if the relevant ports are blocked.

Handy information to have. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Wireless is unlike dsl where a provider can provision say 20 people an a dedicated 1 meg line. But when you are on wireless, everyone is on the one dedicated line so to speak. The whole wireless network is connected together. The only thing that can be done to an over subscribed network is to add more backhaul. I do no though that if you buy a subscription to limewire which is about €50 a year, lastmile will not be able to block it on you. I have hands on experience with this working even if the relevant ports are blocked.

im not sure about that, i paid a subscription to mp3 rocket ( almost the same as limewire) and my speed over the last 8 to 9 weeks is crap, as i said im only getting 1 to 9 kbps when i was getting up to 70 kbps. dont really know what you mean about the ports?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 declans

Hi

I must defend Lastmile , I am 16 KM by road from my Lastmile Base Station (No DSL or even ISDN available where I live and I have no Land Line)
    and I get the Home Package , Speed Tests Indicate that my Package is 512/512 and not 512/128 as advertised , Anyway I have Windows Media Center PC set up with SKY etc and extenders in 2 rooms (XBOX 360's) all running perfectly , On a recent trip to the states I picked up a Sling Box for €120 http://www.slingmedia.com/us/ , This slingbox alows me to view the content on my media center PC from anywhere using the upload from my lastmile connection , It allows me to listen to music , view previously recorded programmes and also view Live tv with the ability to Pause etc , I just watched derval o'rourke's race live on BBC1 from my desk at work , My sister who lives in Sydney can log into the Slingbox and watch the news and soaps during her daytime while we are all tucked up in bed as the Media Center is set to record them all , She is able to watch them full screen on her 19" Montior.
    This would not be possible with a 128K (1MB DSL)or 256K (2MB DSL) upload , A DSL connection with 512K upload cost 160 or 170 a month.
    I say good on lastmile they are young company with 2 seasoned pros at the top and I dont think they are going anywhere soon.

My 2C if you will

Edit - I forgot to add I also have a Vodafone 3G card which allows me to view all the same content anywhere I get a 3G signal , Example - Luch in Moate yesterday , In the car with a Panini and Diet coke and Laptop on the Passenger Seat with SKY News no probs,

Hi declans,
    thanks for posting a positive response. But I'm still not convinced by your own experience! After all, your package costs €70 a month, and IT IS STILL A BASIC SMALL CONNECTION. Even if I (as original grumpy poster of this thread) was on Last Miles Enterprise connection and achieving 2 Megabits down/1 Megabits up, I'd still be unhappy because I'd be paying through the nose (€250!!!) for it!

Last Mile are milking it for all they can, regardless of the quality of their service, in areas where there is no other option available. And like you have pointed out, you are (respectfully) just another schmuck that got suckered into paying for it too!

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 declans

I am on the Residential 512k/128k €33.05 ex VAT,
    I am also using Blueface with acceptable not always perfect quality. They are only company Interested in providing broadband to outlying areas , where are eircom , smart , Digiweb , IBB , They are only interested in the low hanging fruit in urban areas , I am 500 yds from my nearest neighbour and still able to get broadband - I aint no schmuck but a lucky punter with Lastmile to thank for a decent broadband connection.

• Advertisement

declans wrote:
    I am on the Residential 512k/128k €33.05 ex VAT,

So for €40 a month, they have hooked you up the €70 a month package? You got lucky! Sounds like a mistake on their part! Again, if thats the case, I stand by the "Last Mile are cowboys and cashmongers" stance I currently have!
    I'm on a not so bad 512/128. But for the same price (€40 a month), I will be getting 3Mb on my BT service when my last mile expires in October.

THAT's what gets me about Last Mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Seanie M wrote:
    I stand by the "Last Mile are cowboys and cashmongers" stance I currently have!
    I'm on a not so bad 512/128. But for the same price (€40 a month), I will be getting 3Mb on my BT service when my last mile expires in October.

THAT's what gets me about Last Mile.
    And why did you go with LastMile in the first place, if your BT package is such a good deal?

Advertisement