Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AM2 or Conroe

Options
  • 03-08-2006 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

dilemma... i dont know which one to choose.

Conroe is the big thing atm but Am2 seems like it will last longer.

which should i choose? all advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

For a new rig? Conroe at the moment but come the new year and AMD's K8L chipset, who knows? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

so am2 is pointless atm then. conroe would be the best option? then next year switch to am2?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

If you have that kind of money then sure, why not...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

but i dont lol... i need something thats not too costly but will last, thats why i thought am2 was a good choice.. but now with this new chipset im all conflustered..... IM 15 GODDAMMIT WHY DOES THE WORLD HATE ME *crys in a corner* :) only jkn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Druid

In an effort to "future proof" your rig I would go with Conroe. Wait off as long as possible to see which Motherboard is the best 'bang for euro'.

If money is an issue I would go with AM2 with the x2 5000+

Needless to say spend money on the other important aspects such as HDD, Ram, Motherboard and case. (in that order, 10K RPM HDD - noisy but good)

HTH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You're forgetting POWER SUPPLY!!
    So damn important, yet some people neglect to mention it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭mac_leinn

I found this review very interesting: Real Gaming Benchmarks

Now this came out after I went with AM2 so it didnt influence my decision (impatience did that:)) but it might interest you.

The winner was, obviously, Intels Core 2 Duo but I was supprised at how close the X2 5000+ was.

I mean, this is Intels brand spanking new cpu architecture being given a good run for its money by a fairly old (in computer terms) architecture.

The two cpus were priced similarly and clocked similarly (although the amd did have an extra 200MHz).

So imagine what amd's k8l could do or the new opterons.

Im sure I sound like an amd fanboy and Im not trying to start a flame war. Does anyone have any other take on the review?

Oh and the world doesnt hate you :).
    This is actually the best time in a long while to build a pc because you have a lot of options. Intel vs amd, nvidia vs ati (GPUs and chipsets), some great mobos out now

Also AM2 is supposed to be forward compatible with AM3. However, whether you will require a new chipset/new revision mobo (a la conroe) I dont know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

mac_leinn wrote:

I mean, this is Intels brand spanking new cpu architecture

conroe is based on pentium m architecture which is based on pentium 3 architecture so its not new.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    You're forgetting POWER SUPPLY!!
    So damn important, yet some people neglect to mention it...

Every post you make is about power supply's!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

mac_leinn wrote:
    I found this review very interesting: Real Gaming Benchmarks

Now this came out after I went with AM2 so it didnt influence my decision (impatience did that:)) but it might interest you.

The winner was, obviously, Intels Core 2 Duo but I was supprised at how close the X2 5000+ was.

I mean, this is Intels brand spanking new cpu architecture being given a good run for its money by a fairly old (in computer terms) architecture.

The two cpus were priced similarly and clocked similarly (although the amd did have an extra 200MHz).

So imagine what amd's k8l could do or the new opterons.

Im sure I sound like an amd fanboy and Im not trying to start a flame war. Does anyone have any other take on the review?

Oh and the world doesnt hate you :).
    This is actually the best time in a long while to build a pc because you have a lot of options. Intel vs amd, nvidia vs ati (GPUs and chipsets), some great mobos out now

Also AM2 is supposed to be forward compatible with AM3. However, whether you will require a new chipset/new revision mobo (a la conroe) I dont know...

I wouldn't exactly call the benchmarks close. The conroes outperform am2's by quite a large margain in a lot of them. This is not even mentioning the huge overclocking potential that the conroes have. You won't get much more speed out of an am2. You will be looking at a 50-75% overclock out of those conroe's on air though from the tests i've seen. I know what i'd be getting :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Every post you make is about power supply's!!!
    Yeah, well you would want a quality PSU for overclocking OH GOD I'M DOING IT AGAIN! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

conroe.
    tbh.

shít quick.
    Versatile.
    Massive O/C potential.
    Cool (see above).

Advertisement