Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Bush a Fascist yet?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

"Hegel remarks somewhere that all facts and personages of great importance in world history occur, as it were, twice. He forgot to add: the first time as tragedy, the second as farce"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

oscarBravo wrote:
    Enough. Discuss the topic at hand, not whether other posters are whining.

At the risk of further chastisement, banning, and so on and so forth....I believe there is a (badly put) case to make that they are one and the same thing.

The labelling of Bush as a fascist is not - in my opinion - because Bush is a fascist. Similarly, the US is not a fascist State, nor is the US government a fascist-oriented government.

There are some points of similarity, I grant you, but if Bush is more totalitarian, why don't we say "Bush is taking the US in an undesireably totalitarian direction", rather than the more-commonly offered line of reasoning which "totalitarianism is a facet of fascism (amongst other things), and Bush has exhibited some totalitarianistic tendencies.....therefore Bush is a fascist!!!".

Increasingly, when I see labels being applied my immediate reaction is to suspect that the label will be used to attack whatever has been labelled. Its as though Bush's specific actions aren't a suitable line of attack....we have to label those actions as being fascist in nature, and then attack him for being fascist.

I dunno...maybe its our 5-microsecond attention spans that are to blame. Maybe people would stop paying attention if we actually discussed the relative merits and drawbacks of individual actions. Maybe it would require too much knowledge. Maybe its intellectual laziness, or frustration at "the other side" using such tactics to great success.

Regardless of the reason, it seems to me (at least) that discussion like this typically serve one purpose, and thats to simplify the manner in which a target is complained about. Why worry about the details when we can just decry everything and anything as "more fascism from the fascist Bush".

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Mick86 wrote:
    In 2009, GWB will be an ex-President. That never happens to fascists.

Unless he changes the laws? :) Seriously, hes lied and ignored/steamrolled over so many laws I just wonder how far he could push it before US citizens actually tried to remove him from his position.

I'd put even money that if he was to say he would remain in power and got the backing from the rest of the republican controlled areas of government that your average US citizen would still sit on their ass. They might moan about it but all in all do feck all.

Anyway thing with with the US is that you end up with two people to vote on and if you delved deep into Bush/Kerry for example you would find they agree on a lot of things.

And the two party system is so bad that in the Kerry/Bush presidential debates two of the other runners for president actually got arrested trying to turn up to debate.

Hobbes wrote:
    Unless he changes the laws? :) Seriously, hes lied and ignored/steamrolled over so many laws I just wonder how far he could push it before US citizens actually tried to remove him from his position.

In fairness, I can't see SCOTUS rolling over and playing a good little doggie on any such change.
    I'd put even money that if he was to say he would remain in power and got the backing from the rest of the republican controlled areas of government that your average US citizen would still sit on their ass. They might moan about it but all in all do feck all.
    And I'd put even money on a return bet that regardless of what Joe Q Sixpack did at home we'd still see something like the following.

Bush : "I am the Decider, and I've Decided that I need to remain in power for top-secret reasons that I can't tell anyone. But seeing as I'm in charge, I get to make the decisions."

Supreme Court : "Go **** yourself, Mr. President. This is one area where you most certainly aren't the decider, we are. And we've decided that you are limited to two terms like the law says."

What would be really interesting is to see what would happen then.
    Anyway thing with with the US is that you end up with two people to vote on and if you delved deep into Bush/Kerry for example you would find they agree on a lot of things.

This is, at least partly, the voters' own fault. By retaining a steadfast belief that it is a two-party system, and that a vote for anyone else is a wasted vote, they doom the system to remain two-party.

And god forbid anyone suggest that voters do what they always criticise politicians for, and stop looking at just the next term of office. If it takes 50 years to build up momentum in terms of people voting for a third party, then it takes 50 years. Sooner started, sooner done.

jc

bonkey wrote:
    In fairness, I can't see SCOTUS rolling over and playing a good little doggie on any such change.

I can see them disagreeing and Bush just saying "So what?". Or changing the laws to bypass them as that is what is happening with gitmo.
    What would be really interesting is to see what would happen then.

Joked about this one time. But imagine you where the president of the United States and you wanted it to become a dictatorship.

First up you would have to control most of the government and enact enough laws to protect yourself.

Second you would need the Army on your side. But failing that you would just need the majority of the army on your side. If there was a way to move any possible resistance force out of the country (say a few wars) you could leave a core group of "Royal Guard" as it where.

As long as joe sixpack is kept happy most people will be like sheep. Americans are very into "My constitutional rights" so as long as you dance around that (either laws or a bug-a-boo like terrorists) they will pretty much fall into line.

After that is businesses. Big businesses you give kickbacks while using protectionism to make it feel like this isn't all one big mistake.

Lastly embezzle as much as you can from the country (rape it clean) and then finally leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

bonkey wrote:
    At the risk of further chastisement, banning, and so on and so forth....I believe there is a (badly put) case to make that they are one and the same thing.

The labelling of Bush as a fascist is not - in my opinion - because Bush is a fascist. Similarly, the US is not a fascist State, nor is the US government a fascist-oriented government.

There are some points of similarity, I grant you, but if Bush is more totalitarian, why don't we say "Bush is taking the US in an undesireably totalitarian direction", rather than the more-commonly offered line of reasoning which "totalitarianism is a facet of fascism (amongst other things), and Bush has exhibited some totalitarianistic tendencies.....therefore Bush is a fascist!!!".

Increasingly, when I see labels being applied my immediate reaction is to suspect that the label will be used to attack whatever has been labelled. Its as though Bush's specific actions aren't a suitable line of attack....we have to label those actions as being fascist in nature, and then attack him for being fascist.

I dunno...maybe its our 5-microsecond attention spans that are to blame. Maybe people would stop paying attention if we actually discussed the relative merits and drawbacks of individual actions. Maybe it would require too much knowledge. Maybe its intellectual laziness, or frustration at "the other side" using such tactics to great success.

Regardless of the reason, it seems to me (at least) that discussion like this typically serve one purpose, and thats to simplify the manner in which a target is complained about. Why worry about the details when we can just decry everything and anything as "more fascism from the fascist Bush".

jc
    labels are a function of language, they are necessary in order to communicate concepts in the most efficient manner. If i say the word 'Chair' it doesn't describe any particular set design, it could have 2 legs, 4 legs, it could hang from a tree, it could have a back or no back, it could be a bucket shape or a bench shape, but if it's function is for use as something to sit on, then it is a chair.
    Sure you can argue about whether it's a stool or a seat or a swing or a bench, but that's just pointless semantics, if I say chair, you know it means something people can sit on.

The use of the word Fascist here is another shortcut to communicate the idea of someone to the 'far right' with 'totalitarian' tendancies who supports the idea of a police state and who uses his power and influence to promote the interests of big business above the welfare of ordinary citizens.
    Of course, in that last sentence, there were also a number of other labels, 'far right', 'Totalitarian' 'police state', 'big business' which could all be argued based on semantics, but which are generally understood to have certain connotations by those who are politically aware. As different labels are used together and in context with each other, we arrive at a communicable idea that is more than just the ideas taken individually with no context.

Bush might not fulfil every single criteria necessary to be labled a fascist in the strictest sense, but in terms of putting across the idea about the kinds of things he is capable of doing, it is a useful label.

Bush here is used to describe his party and the rest of his administration, it is arguable that George Bush himself is in charge, or if he is merely a figure head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Hobbes wrote:
    As long as joe sixpack is kept happy most people will be like sheep. Americans are very into "My constitutional rights" so as long as you dance around that (either laws or a bug-a-boo like terrorists) they will pretty much fall into line.

Most voting Americans also have a healthy disregard of government, particularly on a federal level. Increased federal powers would not be welcome to many here. Especially amongst the Republican/Libertarian types.
    And in America, there is no powerful church like there was in Italy or Fascist Spain....

Don't believe it for a moment. Perhaps church groups are somewhat decentralised, but keep in mind that there are entire Southern and Midwestern states that vote along lines dictated by the Christian Coallition (and there are Northern states that will heavily support their local labour union).
    Bush : "I am the Decider, and I've Decided that I need to remain in power for top-secret reasons that I can't tell anyone. But seeing as I'm in charge, I get to make the decisions."

Supreme Court : "Go **** yourself, Mr. President. This is one area where you most certainly aren't the decider, we are. And we've decided that you are limited to two terms like the law says."

And that's exactly how that scenario would play out. Well put.

Akrasia wrote:
    labels are a function of language, they are necessary in order to communicate concepts in the most efficient manner.

Yes, but it doesn't follow that all uses of labels are accurate, nor even necessary.

Labels are only efficient when there is no question about what the label signifies - when they are accurate.

When there is doubt and/or the meaning of the label is open to interpretation, then the use of a label does not communicate a concept efficiently (in fact, it adds to the inefficiency). At this point, one should question what the purpose of using the label is....which is what I am doing.
    The use of the word Fascist here is another shortcut to communicate the idea of someone to the 'far right' with 'totalitarian' tendancies who supports the idea of a police state and who uses his power and influence to promote the interests of big business above the welfare of ordinary citizens.
    If you set out by clarifying what you meant fascist to be at the start, then there would be no question that you see Bush as a fascist.

The question then, however, would be whether or not your definition of what constitutes a fascist is a generally accurate one. If not, then your use of the label would be removing efficiency and would therefore have to be questioned.

Its a bit like when I get into conversations about ID, or various conspiracy theories. I take a very critical view of anyone misapplying the label "scientific". They (i.e. those using the label) may well believe what they are labelling is, in fact, scientific, but its not a label thats open to much interpretation and its not about personal belief.

Once its clear there's a difference of opinion on the suitability of a label all efficiency-based arguments for using the label are gone. If it is not efficient nomenclature, there must be alternate reasons for people persisting in its use at this point. I can think of three :

1) They're correct and can show it to be so without question
    1) They're incorrect, but refuse to admit it.
    2) They're incorrect but wish to utilise the association with other traits of that label, regardless of correctness.

Note, that when two people disagree on the suitability of a label, only one of them (at most) can fall into the first of these categories.
    Bush might not fulfil every single criteria necessary to be labled a fascist in the strictest sense, but
    No buts. Either he's a fascist or he's not.

If he doesn't meet all the criteria then he's on his way to becoming a fascist, or he exhibits some traits common to those of fascists, or whatever...but he's not a fascist.
    in terms of putting across the idea about the kinds of things he is capable of doing, it is a useful label.
    Sure its useful...it draws associations with Italy circa WW2, Mussolini and other aspects of history that will help cast him in an even worse light. Thats my point.

Utility and accuracy aren't the same thing. If - as you admit - the label isn't strictly accurate, then why not use a more accurate one? The answer is clear - the utility of the less accurate one is greater.

Isn't putting utility over accuracy a trait of the Bush administration? Is it really something we should be arguing in favour for?
    Bush here is used to describe his party and the rest of his administration, it is arguable that George Bush himself is in charge, or if he is merely a figure head

Then why not use a more accurate label, such as "the Bush Administration"?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

bonkey wrote:
    This is, at least partly, the voters' own fault. By retaining a steadfast belief that it is a two-party system, and that a vote for anyone else is a wasted vote, they doom the system to remain two-party.
    Coupled with this, first-past-the-post electoral systems tend to copperfasten two-party systems.

If you don't vote for a lizard, the wrong lizard might get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I think people are putting a little too much emphasis on Bush. Why would the current republican administration risk the backlash of a failed move like trying to get Bush in for a third term when all that matters is that a neo-con gets the job? So long as a neo-con gets elected its business as usual. I don’t think the actual person matters a whole lot (once elected) as it’s the administration combined with its business backers who make the decisions. The president is just the public spokesperson of the larger more important group.

I seriously doubt GWB is pulling the strings or even if he has any meaningful input on policy over the other prominent neo-cons in the administration and the business world. Bush was simply the man most likely to get elected. Now its time to pick the next neo-con most likely to get elected. No need to do anything silly like get Bush a third term when it’s not necessary, especially with a Democratic Party unwilling or unable to put up a serious fight. I think fear, nationalism and choicepoint have the next election in the bag for the neo-cons regardless of who they put up. As for the question of is Bush a Fascist, I don't think you are going to see a text book example of a Fascist government in America but I think they are getting as close as they can to a modern acceptable hybrid they can get away with under the guise of freedom and liberty.

• Advertisement

dave2pvd wrote:
    Most voting Americans also have a healthy disregard of government, particularly on a federal level. Increased federal powers would not be welcome to many here.

True, but what are they going to do about it? A couple of protests maybe and then back to watching the boobtube and day to day life.

It would take some serious crap to polorize Americans to do anything about thier government. Especially when you look at all the crap he has done to date.

Hobbes wrote:
    ...back to watching the boobtube and day to day life.

Well now....impressive stereotype. Must have taken a while to capture the caricature just so.

Keep in mind that when you generalise, you may be thinking Homer Simpson, rather than the voting classes/masses. There is quite a difference. Many of the voting types are somewhat informed. Joe Sixpack, on the otherhand doesn't vote.

I agree with posters suggesting that Bush is simply a puppet with strings pulled by others. This is very evident, especially now. The Senate/Congress have found the puppet to be remarkably expendible. A couple of months ago he seemed to be of lame duck status already - shockingly early for a US presidential term. He does not tend to enjoy congressional support for bills proposed by his administration. They are distancing themselves greatly from him.

dave2pvd wrote:
    Well now....impressive stereotype. Must have taken a while to capture the caricature just so.

Well to be fair, take a look at what he has gotten up to date and what has been done in response to that. If Clinton had done one tenth of what Bush has done so far he would of had his head on a pole.

If it had been anyone except the president they would of been looking at a long prison sentance.

It was your stereotype of Americans I was referring to.

Anyway, enough: back to Bush the Fascist Yeti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

clown bag wrote:
    As for the question of is Bush a Fascist, I don't think you are going to see a text book example of a Fascist government in America but I think they are getting as close as they can to a modern acceptable hybrid they can get away with under the guise of freedom and liberty.
    However this comparison fails as it is nowhere near “as close as they can to a modern acceptable hybrid”. This thread was begun with a commentary on a move that would, one can argue, reduce the power of law and move the US towards a more totalitarian system. To say that he is moving towards Fascism on the basis of this is as valid as saying that he’s moving towards Communism, or Theocracy, or absolute Monarchy, or any other system that will tend towards totalitarianism.

This is the problem with the very premise of this thread; it’s based upon a false analogy - a cliché.

This is the problem with the very premise of this thread; it’s based upon a false analogy - a cliché.
    Agreed, I think any further debate will just be bogged down in semantics and statements which could be equally true or false but sure we'll have a go anyway.

However this comparison fails as it is nowhere near “as close as they can to a modern acceptable hybrid”. This thread was begun with a commentary on a move that would, one can argue, reduce the power of law and move the US towards a more totalitarian system. To say that he is moving towards Fascism on the basis of this is as valid as saying that he’s moving towards Communism, or Theocracy, or absolute Monarchy, or any other system that will tend towards totalitarianism..

Based on the narrow parameters of the OP, (i.e. one decision in isolation) it would of course be impossible to argue that the U.S. is moving towards Fascism but leaving aside the restricting of ourselves to the Original Post and instead looking at it as part of a definite pattern of events there is a debatable case on the direction of the U.S. government.

I think the level of influence and power in decision making at a political level of corporate bodies would rule out any kind of call for the “workers of the world unite” or a change towards a “dictatorship of the proletariat”. Profit is very much the motivator as opposed to a centrally planned economy. I know you like to cross your t’s and dot your i’s but I seriously doubt America is moving towards any kind of communist egalitarian system. Like I said it’s unlikely that there will be a text book case of anything seen in the past, all you can do is call it as it is and point out similarities or leanings to past systems in an attempt to put a direction on the current administration.

What we have in America today is a self styled neo-conservative government. Anything we do in this thread trying to put a past label on them is simply pointing out similarities. It is a very right wing government who believe strongly in neo-liberal economics and aggressively push that agenda world wide. They have an effective control on their citizens, using fear and nationalism to push through authoritarian big brother type laws and use it to increase military spending and pre-emptive military action abroad while encouraging its citizens to spy on each other and report anything they feel is “un-American” or against national interests. Propaganda, surveillance and fear are widely used by the government to monitor and influence its citizens. It’s not hard to see why the Fascist label gets thrown around as there are similarities but it is not the same thing IMO.

Many people will come up with many definitions of what fascism is and why one government is or is not fascist. Most of it is semantics, arguing as to what degree a government must go to in order to earn the label fascist. Ultimately each person is going to decide for him/herself on what they decide to call fascist as I don’t think there is one generally accepted definition which hasn’t being challenged on what qualifies as a fascist state. People will argue as to what degree corporatism must take place and what the intention of that form of corporatism is. People will argue about what is deemed authoritarian and also to what degree democracy has been eroded. I personally think America has a lot of fascist characteristics but I think that the corporate influence is more designed for private individualistic gain more so than to fulfil a grand State controlled regime. It just so happens that the state is exerting more control as a necessity to secure the corporations goals. It could be viewed as an opposite ideology or as achieving the same ends despite having a different agenda. Is corporatism enough or must the goals of corporatism be examined.

Some commonly accepted characteristics of fascism: corporatism, authoritarian government, dictatorship, racism/ intolerance, use of fear and nationalism as a way to control citizens, an emphasis put on the state as opposed to the individual, crushing of any opposition usually through force.

Are economics central criteria for a fascist state or is fascism a loose term applied to a state which roughly fits most of the commonly held characteristics I outlined above?

Is the Mussolini model the only correct form of Fascism and if so how likely is it ever to be replicated exactly?

If the Mussolini model was the original but not strictly the only form of Fascism then to what degree can the conditions be different but still fall under the term “fascist”?

If you believe the Mussolini model to be only one form of fascism, why do you believe that other models can also be described as fascist? What are the criteria and are those criteria universally accepted or even commonly accepted to be fascist?

I’m sure you the Corinthian will have your own view which you will no doubt lay out in a very logical and definite manor but inevitably someone else will challenge your view and my view and come up with their own definition. This definition will in turn be challenged by someone else and people will argue about what aspects of the current American administration fit their own definition. I am happy enough to say that America is not a fascist country in the same way as Fascist Italy or Nazi Germany but I am comfortable in saying that it does share some fascist characteristics (more so than most countries) and that the question of whether America is becoming a fascist state depends entirely on which criteria you lay down as once achieved is deemed fascist.

This was Mussolini’s definition of fascism which he wrote in 1932 for the Italian Encyclopaedia.
    Looking at that definition semantics, pedantry and personal opinion will play a large part in applying parts or all of it to the current American administration.

clown bag wrote:
    People will argue as to what degree corporatism must take place and what the intention of that form of corporatism is.
    It would help if you knew what corporatism was. I’ve already pointed out how the simplistic definition of corporatism as a form of plutocracy is factually incorrect.
    Some commonly accepted characteristics of fascism: corporatism, authoritarian government, dictatorship, racism/ intolerance, use of fear and nationalism as a way to control citizens, an emphasis put on the state as opposed to the individual, crushing of any opposition usually through force.
    Most of those ‘accepted characteristics’ could be attached to Communism - certainly authoritarian government, dictatorship, use of fear and nationalism are alive and well in North Korea or Cuba today. Also racism was only a characteristic of Nazi-influenced Fascism. Up until Italy became politically dominated by Germany it was no more racist than Britain or France. Spanish and Argentinean Fascism likewise.

But even if your ‘accepted characteristics’ were correct I would find it bizarre that you would try to apply them to the US. The present reality is so far removed - even if you are claiming that things are moving in that direction - that it makes the analogy preposterous.
    I am happy enough to say that America is not a fascist country in the same way as Fascist Italy or Nazi Germany but I am comfortable in saying that it does share some fascist characteristics (more so than most countries) and that the question of whether America is becoming a fascist state depends entirely on which criteria you lay down as once achieved is deemed fascist.
    Then by your same logic, Cuba can be said to share many characteristics with National Socialism and Chavez with Hitler.

As I said you are simply applying your own views to your own definition and questioning other definitions. I can't argue with that to an absolute and neither can you. - Semantics.

What is a true definition of fascism, who decides?
    Are North Korea and Cuba communist, who decides?
    Is racism a characteristic of fascism or simply a tool employed when necessary but its absence is not important, who decides?
    What were the differences between German, Italian, Spanish, Argentine and Chilean fascism? Where they all fascist or did some of them fall short of the criteria.

I don't actually think we have a difference of opinion here as I am asking what exactly is fascism and what is necessary to label a country fascist. If you can provide me with an absolute universal definition of fascism then we can easily match or dismiss the relevance to the current American administration.

The belief in fascism that history is not a collection of class struggles would rule out the likes of Chavez and Castro as fascists. Also the use of direct democracy and worker controlled co operatives would rule out fascism but again it all depends on which criteria you choose to hand pick and apply to a situation while leaving out others. When is something simply totalitarian and not fascist and again to what degree and for what agenda must corporations play a role in the running of the state for that state to be deemed fascist. What is the cut off point between personal freedom and state control?

I’ve read your wiki link to corporatism which a few posts later you then said you didn’t entirely agree with. Again it comes down to interpretation and which bits you choose to apply to a given scenario. Is the fact that corporatism takes place at a limited level or as an absolute relevant and if so at what point is it deemed fascist or of having fascist characteristics or of been similar but not the same as fascism.

I repeat again that to call America a fascist state is pushing it a bit and is somewhat a weak definition of fascism but IMO it does have similar characteristics to previous fascist states more so than other countries. This does not make it fascist and it is probably way off been fascist but again without a clear definition which is universally accepted there is no way of saying absolutely either way, just as we cannot say absolutely with other states either. It all depends on your interpretation of what fascism is.

I would be interested to know what your accepted characteristics of fascism are, and I don't mean that as to use a stick to beat you with but rather just out of interest to add to the many other definitions I've read from various other sources. Is it a rigid system or is it open to interpetation.

clown bag wrote:
    I don't actually think we have a difference of opinion here as I am asking what exactly is fascism and what is necessary to label a country fascist.
    The definition of the former (fascism), and the illustration that a country meets that definition should be the what is necessary for the latter (labelling a nation).

The thing is that if we use some loose cuddly definition of fascism, then sure...we can make pretty-much any nation out to be fascist. Of course, this doesn't mean much, and associating them all together under one umbrella becomes meaningless.

Its like saying that we can call all totalitarian leaders "Hitleresque", and that we can say Bush qualifies because he's leaning in a slightly totalitarian direction. Of course, at that point, it becomes clear that our definition is so loose that we're desperately just trying to associate anyone we don't like with Hitler....and that little if anything should be read into the grouping.

There is (rightly or wrongly) a general belief that fascism is a Uniformly Bad Thing. Most typically, it seems to stem from WW2 roots. It is rare to see someone labelling anything as fascist where the intent is anything other than to draw parallels to Germany/Italy in the 1940s.

So to go back to the original question - Is Bush a fascist? No. Is the Bush Administration fascist? No. Is the US fascist? No.

In all cases, the answer is No unless we use a definition of fascism which is so loose that we should be obliged to say "yes/maybe, but not in the same sense that Italy was fascist in the mid-20th century" as opposed to "yes".
    When is something simply totalitarian and not fascist
    Such questions are exactly why I believe the use of the label is invalid in terms of providing a handy method of classification/grouping. If you have to ask such questions in order to understand what, exactly, is this short-cut description supposed to be a shortening of....then the benefit of it is lost.
    I’ve read your wiki link to corporatism which a few posts later you then said you didn’t entirely agree with. Again it comes down to interpretation and which bits you choose to apply to a given scenario.
    Only if you can show that the definition you're working off is at least arguably accurate as well.

I could say, for example, that Tikopia is the perfect embodiment of my understanding of corporatism. Of course, my understanding is based on me making up a definition and then saying that its just as valid as anyone else's, whereas TC seems to be arguing from a far more solid basis of being able to provide a simple-to-reference definition which - while not perfect - is a good starting point.

Thus far, everyone disagreeing with him has offered as much clarification of why their understanding of what corporatism is as I have (if you ignore that i've admitted I just made mine up).

I find it difficult to accept as a valid argument the notion that its really just down to what you think it means, unless you can show that yoru understanding is at least derived from a widely-accepted definition of the term.
    Is the fact that corporatism takes place at a limited level or as an absolute relevan
    The fact that it occurs needs to be first established.
    t and if so at what point is it deemed fascist or of having fascist characteristics or of been similar but not the same as fascism.
    I would say that one would need to show a correlation with the degree that ir occurs/occurred in other fascist states, or explain why such a correlation is not needed.
    I repeat again that to call America a fascist state is pushing it a bit
    Its amazing how often you hear it though....do you think that a huge number of people simply have a fundamental misunderstanding of what fascism is?
    but IMO it does have similar characteristics to previous fascist states more so than other countries.
    Really? I'd question that, to be honest.

To me, its like people calling the US a police-state. Sure, it is correct to say it has characteristics of a police-state, and moreso than some other nations (say, Ireland) does....

Its also correct to say that a burn caused from oil spattering from the cooker has more in common with losing a limb from 3rd-degree burns than a slight dose of sunburn does. In this case, however, the distance from what two things are being compared (oil-splatter burn and sunburn) and our frame of reference (limb-loss through third-degree burns) is clear...and clearly ridiculous.
    This does not make it fascist and it is probably way off been fascist but again without a clear definition which is universally accepted there is no way of saying absolutely either way, just as we cannot say absolutely with other states either. It all depends on your interpretation of what fascism is.
    Without a universally-accepted definition, then one can say with authority that it does not meet any univerally-accepted definition of fascism.

jc

However this comparison fails as it is nowhere near “as close as they can to a modern acceptable hybrid”. This thread was begun with a commentary on a move that would, one can argue, reduce the power of law and move the US towards a more totalitarian system. To say that he is moving towards Fascism on the basis of this is as valid as saying that he’s moving towards Communism, or Theocracy, or absolute Monarchy, or any other system that will tend towards totalitarianism.

Can you point to the sentence in the first post that indicates that his proposed bill was the only factor in determining that Bush was a fascist? I never suggested that his desire to eliminate the principles of fair defence and justice before law was the only reason i believe his administration to have fascist tendencies, it was just the latest move in long and always downward spiral.
    Do you accept the 14 point indicator of fascism that Milton Mayer wrote about Germany in 1955? (or are you going to go off in a tangent about Germany not being fascist because they were Nazis instead)
    those 14 points are:

Powerful and Continuing Nationalism

Fascist regimes tend to make constant use of patriotic mottos, slogans, symbols, songs, and other paraphernalia. Flags are seen everywhere, as are flag symbols on clothing and in public displays.

Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights

Because of fear of enemies and the need for security, the people in fascist regimes are persuaded that human rights can be ignored in certain cases because of "need." The people tend to look the other way or even approve of torture, summary executions, assassinations, long incarcerations of prisoners, etc.

Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause

The people are rallied into a unifying patriotic frenzy over the need to eliminate a perceived common threat or foe: racial, ethnic or religious minorities; liberals; communists; socialists, terrorists, etc.

Supremacy of the Military

Even when there are widespread domestic problems, the military is given a disproportionate amount of government funding, and the domestic agenda is neglected. Soldiers and military service are glamorized.

Rampant Sexism

The governments of fascist nations tend to be almost exclusively male-dominated. Under fascist regimes, traditional gender roles are made more rigid. Opposition to abortion is high, as is homophobia and anti-gay legislation and national policy.

Controlled Mass Media

Sometimes the media is directly controlled by the government, but in other cases, the media is indirectly controlled by government regulation, or sympathetic media spokespeople and executives. Censorship, especially in war time, is very common.

Obsession with National Security

Fear is used as a motivational tool by the government over the masses.

Religion and Government are Intertwined

Governments in fascist nations tend to use the most common religion in the nation as a tool to manipulate public opinion. Religious rhetoric and terminology is common from government leaders, even when the major tenets of the religion are diametrically opposed to the government's policies or actions.

Corporate Power is Protected

The industrial and business aristocracy of a fascist nation often are the ones who put the government leaders into power, creating a mutually beneficial business/government relationship and power elite.

Labor Power is Suppressed

Because the organizing power of labor is the only real threat to a fascist government, labor unions are either eliminated entirely, or are severely suppressed.

Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts

Fascist nations tend to promote and tolerate open hostility to higher education, and academia. It is not uncommon for professors and other academics to be censored or even arrested. Free expression in the arts is openly attacked, and governments often refuse to fund the arts.

Obsession with Crime and Punishment

Under fascist regimes, the police are given almost limitless power to enforce laws. The people are often willing to overlook police abuses and even forego civil liberties in the name of patriotism. There is often a national police force with virtually unlimited power in fascist nations.

Rampant Cronyism and Corruption

Fascist regimes almost always are governed by groups of friends and associates who appoint each other to government positions and use governmental power and authority to protect their friends from accountability. It is not uncommon in fascist regimes for national resources and even treasures to be appropriated or even outright stolen by government leaders.

Fraudulent Elections

Sometimes elections in fascist nations are a complete sham. Other times elections are manipulated by smear campaigns against or even assassination of opposition candidates, use of legislation to control voting numbers or political district boundaries, and manipulation of the media. Fascist nations also typically use their judiciaries to manipulate or control elections.
    And here is a link that shows the Bush administrating enthusiastically embracing each one of those principles
    http://oldamericancentury.org/14pts.htm

• Advertisement

clown bag wrote:
    As I said you are simply applying your own views to your own definition and questioning other definitions. I can't argue with that to an absolute and neither can you. - Semantics.
    We’re actually arguing facts and not semantics.
    The belief in fascism that history is not a collection of class struggles would rule out the likes of Chavez and Castro as fascists.
    No, because you have by your own reasoning ‘cherry picked’ those characteristics that are Fascist and labelled a country accordingly. You’ve ignored, for example, the fact that the US is a representative liberal democracy, which would also rule out Fascism, so you’ll forgive me if I get to ‘cherry pick’ for the purposes of doing my bit of labelling too.
    I’ve read your wiki link to corporatism which a few posts later you then said you didn’t entirely agree with. Again it comes down to interpretation and which bits you choose to apply to a given scenario. Is the fact that corporatism takes place at a limited level or as an absolute relevant and if so at what point is it deemed fascist or of having fascist characteristics or of been similar but not the same as fascism.
    I don’t dispute the principle definition, only conclusions in the extended article. However, repeatedly people in this thread have made a simplistic and asinine association that because it’s called corporatism it must be about business corporations. It’s not in theory and it wasn’t even in practice.

Corporatism was the enfranchisement of interested groups in Society. Not simply businesses, not even the wealthy, but different and varied groups.

Italian corporatism included numerous groups that had nothing to do with business corporations. Argentinean fascism even nationalised the business corporations as part of the process. And the Irish adoption of corporatism even includes trade unions and universities. And FYI, the Italian word from which corporatism is derived does not mean corporation in the English sense - which is where this misconception comes from.

All as an attempt is to mislabel plutocracy as corporatism, so as to create a tidy parallel. It’s the same logic that made Saddam a Hitleresque character.
    I would be interested to know what your accepted characteristics of fascism are, and I don't mean that as to use a stick to beat you with but rather just out of interest to add to the many other definitions I've read from various other sources. Is it a rigid system or is it open to interpetation.
    Your earlier ‘accepted criteria’ could be used as a simplistic guideline to describe classical Fascism with the exception of racism, which was present in only one of its branches, namely National Socialism. Racism as an ultimate extension of nationalism was specific to National Socialism and the Fascist movements that were satellites to National Socialism. It was not present elsewhere - at least no more as even the liberal democracies were racist at the time.

One thing you curiously ignored was the planned economy. Fascism was essentially Keynesian (indeed, he was famously a fan of Germany’s economy). The US economy would fail this criterion for Fascism abysmally.

As for the other ‘accepted criteria’, these can also be found in numerous other ideologies, including Communism. Even racism, which I would reject as a criterion, could be found in other political systems - most famously with Apartheid. The only thing that would probably differentiate classical Fascism from other political movements was corporatism, and shifting control to business corporations and the rich is not corporatism, it’s plutocracy.

Akrasia wrote:
    Can you point to the sentence in the first post that indicates that his proposed bill was the only factor in determining that Bush was a fascist?
    Why don’t you give us the other factors then? Or are you suggesting we should take your word on the basis of one example?
    Do you accept the 14 point indicator of fascism that Milton Mayer wrote about Germany in 1955?
    No, I don’t.
    (or are you going to go off in a tangent about Germany not being fascist because they were Nazis instead)
    I’ve never said that.

Why don’t you give us the other factors then? Or are you suggesting we should take your word on the basis of one example?

No, I don’t.

I’ve never said that.
    if you follow the link at the end of my last post you will see numerous examples of Bush's policies that point towards his fascist politics.

But you don't seem to accept that anyone can be fascist unless their name is Mussolini, Franco or Hitler so all the examples in the world wouldn't satisfy you.

Akrasia wrote:
    But you don't seem to accept that anyone can be fascist unless their name is Mussolini, Franco or Hitler so all the examples in the world wouldn't satisfy you.
    Dreadful rubbish. I’ve already pointed out in my last post to clown bag what could realistically be labelled as Fascism and I have never suggested so narrow a definition as you’re accusing me. As for you it pretty much equates to anyone you don’t like politically and that you don’t actually understand the ideologies involved is seemingly irrelevant as long as you can bandy around a few labels.

Read up on the subject and then come back.

Dreadful rubbish. I’ve already pointed out in my last post to clown bag what could realistically be labelled as Fascism and I have never suggested so narrow a definition as you’re accusing me. As for you it pretty much equates to anyone you don’t like politically and that you don’t actually understand the ideologies involved is seemingly irrelevant as long as you can bandy around a few labels.

Read up on the subject and then come back.
    so you believe America is a plutocracy, but plutocracy only describes one specific aspect of America and says nothing about other dominant aspects of modern american society. Plutocracy only describes who gets to make the decisions and the level of economic and social mobility, but it doesn't say much about what kinds of decisions are made.
    As such it is incomplete on it's own.

In relation to fascism, you reject all the characteristics of fascism that are common with other political systems as irrelevent in a definition of Fascism. but in diagnosis of anything, you include all the symptoms, even if those symptoms are not exclusive to the condition at hand. If I go to a hospital and I have a fever, the doctor doesn't ignore that because a high temperature is a symptom of more than one illness.
    Racism is a feature of fascism because extreme nationalism is inherently racist (the implication is that the citizens of one state are inherently better and more valuable than others).

Your narrow definition of Fascism as an authoritarian form of Corpioratism, as you choose to define it, while it might be strictly true, the term fascism has evolved to mean more than that.
    Fascism is defined by what it is, but also what it is against. Vehemently anti Communist, vehemently anti liberalism. Bush's government is reversing a huge amount of the 'American liberalism' philosophy upon which the american nation once stood. Whether or not the country ever truly practised the ideals it preached, under Bush's government those ideals are being implimented in reverse at an alarming rate. Roosevelt's 'new deal' is being dismantled further by every action of this government

Fascism was essentially Keynesian (indeed, he was famously a fan of Germany’s economy).
    Can you back up that claim that Keynes was a fan of nazi economic policies?

Argentinean Fascism likewise.
    Akrasia wrote:
    But you don't seem to accept that anyone can be fascist unless their name is Mussolini, Franco or Hitler

Which one of those three was the ruler of Argentinia again?

"Why nationalize industry when you can nationalize the people?" - Adolf Hitler :eek:

Akrasia wrote:
    so you believe America is a plutocracy, but plutocracy only describes one specific aspect of America and says nothing about other dominant aspects of modern american society. Plutocracy only describes who gets to make the decisions and the level of economic and social mobility, but it doesn't say much about what kinds of decisions are made.
    As such it is incomplete on it's own.
    I never said America was a plutocracy, I said you were incorrectly labelling plutocracy as corporatism.
    In relation to fascism, you reject all the characteristics of fascism that are common with other political systems as irrelevent in a definition of Fascism.
    I did no such thing. I said that a generic and simplistic definition that could be applied to numerous other political ideologies cannot be used as a definition for one ideology.
    but in diagnosis of anything, you include all the symptoms, even if those symptoms are not exclusive to the condition at hand. If I go to a hospital and I have a fever, the doctor doesn't ignore that because a high temperature is a symptom of more than one illness.
    Neither will that doctor jump to a conclusion and diagnose a disease based upon a high temperature, as high temperatures and other common symptoms are caused by different diseases; often requiring radically different treatments. Any doctor that jumps to a conclusion based upon a few common symptoms that could denote any of a number of ailments would be incompetent.
    Racism is a feature of fascism because extreme nationalism is inherently racist (the implication is that the citizens of one state are inherently better and more valuable than others).
    That’s not actually true and I’ve already given historical evidence how even in Fascism this was not typically the case. Either you factually reject that or you can get off your pulpit.
    Your narrow definition of Fascism as an authoritarian form of Corpioratism, as you choose to define it, while it might be strictly true, the term fascism has evolved to mean more than that.
    Strictly true? Are you for real?

You accept that you’re factually wrong, yet you persist in clinging to this fantasy of yours? Is it so more important than the truth?

• Advertisement

Can you back up that claim that Keynes was a fan of nazi economic policies?
    A quick Google got me this, to begin with. There's an essay by him also where he compliments the Nazi economy, but I've not managed to dig it up.
    "Why nationalize industry when you can nationalize the people?" - Adolf Hitler :eek:
    Source? All I can find is a claim by Robert N. Proctor, but not where he got it.

Advertisement