Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scan

Options
  • 03-08-2006 7:24pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Me and Mrs Dub13 are having our third baby,she is due in mid Oct.She went for a scan last tuesday and one small thing is bothering her its not a big deal but you know woman especially when they are pregnant.The problem is we have never found out before what sex the baby is as I think it ads to the excitement on the big day.At the scan she has convinced herself that she seen female on the screen.

She is a bit disappointed not that its a girl but by the fact that she found out this way.I am no expert in this but I don't think they would have the sex of the baby on the screen but I could be wrong.

So can anybody confirm if they have the sex of the baby up on the screen...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ok how far a long is she cos really it can be hard to tell and it does take a trained eye to spot the difference.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Thaedydal wrote:
    Ok how far a long is she cos really it can be hard to tell and it does take a trained eye to spot the difference.

She is due on Oct 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Leax

Is it that she saw what she thought were female bits on the baby, or she saw the word female written on the data part of the screen? If the latter this just denotes that your wife is female, it's a bit of obvious info entered on the computer for foetal ultrasounds :0)

if it's the former just ignore me:rolleyes:

Sorry I should have been a bit more clear,she thinks that she saw the word female written on the screen.I cant imagine many males getting a pregnancy scan so why would they need to put in that MrsDub13 was female...?

If the girl who carries out the scan (not sure what there job title is) spots the sex of the baby I cant imagine that they would input this info on the screen for all to see,this would not be a good work practice.

ah that is not the sex of the baby but the sex of the patient the scan is being used on.
    The machines have different setting for males and females.
    In order to sex the baby with the ultra sound/scan the operator has to many many sweeps to try get a 'look' between the baby's legs.
    This can be very difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Leax

Yup, it just states the sex of the person having the u/s

Thanks I will let her know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Just to let you know....

I had a scan done around 26 weeks (so not as far along as your wife, or maybe around the same), and I CLEARLY saw female genitalia.

Now, my bf thought I was imagining it. We wanted to know the sex anyways, and, hey presto, it was a girl. The sonographer even looked at me and said "Sure, it came up really clearly on the scan earlier but I didn't say anything just in case ye didn't want to know."

Most people believe that generally, its only ever fully clear when its a boy (easier to spot male genitalia on ultrasound, some people think), but that really isn't the case at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Dub13 wrote:
    .At the scan she has convinced herself that she seen female on the screen.

I can clear this one up with ease. She definitely DID see "female" on the screen. The reason for this is that your wife is female. stfu I hear you say....but ultrasounds are used on men too. :) They're not just for loooking at babies. A friend of mine had a good few ultrasounds before he had a kidney transplant.

Anyway....the same thing happened to a friend of mine....he saw "female" on the screen at the scan with his wife and got freaked out. After consulting a nurse friend of theirs, she cleared things up for them. Apparantly they use x and y (as in chromosome) to denote sex, so as to hide it from prospective parents who don't want to know. The nurse said that there is _no_way_ they would make a f*ck up like that.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks Khannie thats great help,.

On a side note I hear they don't like telling you the sex of the baby these days as there has been a few cases of them getting it wrong,if there any truth in this.

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote:
    On a side note I hear they don't like telling you the sex of the baby these days as there has been a few cases of them getting it wrong,if there any truth in this.

Thats true.

I was attending Our Lady of Lourdes in Drogheda, and they refused to tell me the sex. I only found out when I went for a private 3D scan (the one where they give you the DVD).

Having said that, at my 20 week scan at the hospital (which was before I had the 3D scan), I clearly saw female genitalia but said nothing.

Sorry to hijack (think dub13 is sorted), but could you tell me where you got that 3d scan done, how much it was, and if you think it was any good / worth it?

Khannie wrote:
    Sorry to hijack (think dub13 is sorted), but could you tell me where you got that 3d scan done, how much it was, and if you think it was any good / worth it?

Hiya Khannie,

I got the 3D scan done in a private clinic in Rathgar.

All details can be found here http://www.paulatunney-ultrasound.ie

I thought it was definitely worth it... normal ultrasound scans are grand, but this scan was amazing. I could see her face clearly, the shape of her lips, nose etc.. and when she was born, I had the scan pics with me... it was amazing seeing just HOW her features were all in place at 26 weeks gestation and didn't change much at all.
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e318/embeee/ba153b20.jpg

You'll get about 6 printouts, and a DVD copy of the scan.

Nice one. Thanks embee. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

GF just had a 24ish week scan for number 3. We asked for the sex, as we did with the previous 2. They will tell you but do say it is never 100% accurate, though it has been so far!

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

We got the 3d scan done as well. They also have an office in Swords now. Well worth it.

Khannie wrote:
    I can clear this one up with ease. She definitely DID see "female" on the screen. The reason for this is that your wife is female. stfu I hear you say....but ultrasounds are used on men too. :) They're not just for loooking at babies. A friend of mine had a good few ultrasounds before he had a kidney transplant.

I can confirm that this is true as Mrs Dub13 had a boy over the weekend.Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭dubgirl

Many congratulations to you both Dub13!

Congratualtions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Congrats mate.

• Advertisement

Thanks all.

I have had a crazy few days,I am a changed man after seen what goes on in labour I have two girls before our recent arrival but I missed the both births for various reasons.I think I may need counseling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Congratulations. When I was expecting my second I asked if they could confirm if it was a girl, the midwife replied no that it was a boy and that you can see it blowing in the breeze ;)

One of my friend's asked her consultant if she was having a boy or girl on her fifth pregnancy, He said he could guarantee his wages on it being a girl, she had a boy.

They do make mistakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

deisemum wrote:
    One of my friend's asked her consultant if she was having a boy or girl on her fifth pregnancy, He said he could guarantee his wages on it being a girl, she had a boy.

They do make mistakes
    So did she pay him? Same thing happened my brother, and they had the girl's name ready for the birth. There was a bit of a mad scramble to come up with a boys name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

The consultant didn't pay up

Dub13 wrote:
    Mrs Dub13 had a boy over the weekend

:D Congratulations! :D

Advertisement