Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

indicators only work some time

Options
  • 03-08-2006 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi

I am driving a 1996 Seat Ibiza. Some of the time when i press the indicator stalk the indicator lights wont come. Then other times it works perfectly.
    Any ideas what could be causing the problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd hazard a guess at either the flasher unit or the switch. It's hard to know which. Flasher unit is cheapest to replace so maybe start with it - this is a plug in relay so you can DIY it. If the problem persists then maybe you'll need a new switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

crosstownk wrote:
    I'd hazard a guess at either the flasher unit or the switch. It's hard to know which. Flasher unit is cheapest to replace so maybe start with it - this is a plug in relay so you can DIY it. If the problem persists then maybe you'll need a new switch.

You need to be more specific, eg is your indicator flasher on dash working , presumably yes? in which case, check (a) fuse and (b) bulb for loose connection or replacement if blown, you might need to check with alternative bulb. If bulb ok then check wiring behind connector block. If that's OK its either flasher unit/switch, more likely flasher unit to go before switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You need to be more specific, eg is your indicator flasher on dash working , presumably yes? in which case, check (a) fuse and (b) bulb for loose connection or replacement if blown, you might need to check with alternative bulb. If bulb ok then check wiring behind connector block. If that's OK its either flasher unit/switch, more likely flasher unit to go before switch.
    Flasher unit aka - Indicator Relay, Turn Signal Relay etc. It is the unit plugged into the relay plate that controls the 'flashing' of the indicators - both those on the vehicle's perimiter and on the dash. Older vehicles used a bi-metallic strip but newer vehicles use a simple digital time control. Put your hand on all relays to 'feel' which one is working as the indicators flash - assuming you can get them to work

The light on the dash is usually on the same circuit as the perimiter indicators. Depending on manufacturer, the dash turn signal indicators flash in tandem with, or alternate, to the perimiter signals.

This used to be a common item to fail on VWs so its worth checking out. But I think it may be the switch - usually if the flasher unit fails it will stick 'on'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Cross is right here

The ticker switch as I call it :D

In the Astra its located beside the fuseboard inside the car, two yellow boxes one for right and left sometimes with age they come loose.

Advertisement