Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peace Lily plant advice required.

Options
  • 03-08-2006 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

A few months ago i bought a Peace Lilly which had several lovely white flowers. Now there is just one very small one growing at the base of the pot and cannot be seen. Why are there no new flower stalks coming on my plant?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Well Cinamon Girl, it seems like your peace lilly has just about run its flowering course for this year.
    They usually flower spring into summer.
    Peace lillies that have settled into their surroundings can sometimes be expected to flower for longer, but not much longer.
    So until next year flowers appear you must water it when the compost dries and feed it monthly.
    This will aid next years great flowering display.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Cinamon Girl

Well Cinamon Girl, it seems like your peace lilly has just about run its flowering course for this year.
    They usually flower spring into summer.
    Peace lillies that have settled into their surroundings can sometimes be expected to flower for longer, but not much longer.
    So until next year flowers appear you must water it when the compost dries and feed it monthly.
    This will aid next years great flowering display.

Thanks Irish Gardener. It's nice to know that I wasn't killing it after all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Irish Gardner,
    Do some peace lillies give up flowering after a while for no reason and just turn to producing leaves only?
    I have a big peace lilly about 1.5-2ft in diameter. Fabulous big green leaves and appears to be very healthy. Only this year - not one flower!! First time in years.

MargeS wrote:
    Irish Gardner,
    Do some peace lillies give up flowering after a while for no reason and just turn to producing leaves only?
    I have a big peace lilly about 1.5-2ft in diameter. Fabulous big green leaves and appears to be very healthy. Only this year - not one flower!! First time in years.

Is any of the following true....
    Did you move it this year, especially just before bloom time.
    Did the light levels change.
    Is the plant pot-bound, has it been repotted in the time you have had it.

Another possiblity is that the feed you are giving it is too high in nitrogen.
    Nitrogen is for leaves and you have "Fabulous big green leaves"
    The element of potash is for flowers and you have none.
    Consider applying a feed high in potash from next year onwards.

'Fabulous big green leaves'

- sounds soooo pretentious! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

:D when I write my weekly gardening columns I use phrases way more pretentious than 'Fabulous big green leaves'.

Exibit A. from an article about the perennial Rudbeckia
    "A member of the daisy family, this is illustrated by its daisy-like flowers but unlike the daisy its petals exibit a vibrant and golden yellow hue" ;)

:D when I write my weekly gardening columns..
    Where can I read your weekly gardening columns?

I don't really want to hijack a thread or break forum rules by self promotion.
    So I will wait for a nod from a moderator on that one, MargeS :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I don't really want to hijack a thread or break forum rules by self promotion.
    So I will wait for a nod from a moderator on that one, MargeS :)
    No problem here on that front as it is within context.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

delly wrote:
    No problem here on that front as it is within context.

Delly, do you mean its OK to make business plugs within the context of posting/replying to a post?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Delly, do you mean its OK to make business plugs within the context of posting/replying to a post?
    No, I mean the original q has been answered and MargeS had a follow up question relating to a similar q. MargeS then asked where she could read his columns as opposed to Irish Gardener pimping himself straight out. Its kinda like the way a link to your own website is aloud once its not a pimping session etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

delly wrote:
    No, I mean the original q has been answered and MargeS had a follow up question relating to a similar q. MargeS then asked where she could read his columns as opposed to Irish Gardener pimping himself straight out. Its kinda like the way a link to your own website is aloud once its not a pimping session etc.

Any casual observer will spot that Irish Gardener and others are 'pimping' on a regular basis, it doesn't bother me, but I think most would prefer to be neutral, otherwise where will pimpming lead ?

I mean if all it take is any strap line, well that's pimping in my books. It's like sex, bets done in private, unless you're a hooker and well you'll do the walk for the job!:confused:

Any casual observer will spot that Irish Gardener and others are 'pimping' on a regular basis, it doesn't bother me, but I think most would prefer to be neutral, otherwise where will pimpming lead ?

I mean if all it take is any strap line, well that's pimping in my books. It's like sex, bets done in private, unless you're a hooker and well you'll do the walk for the job!:confused:
    I've read your post a few times but the second part is kinda hard to figure out.

Anyhow there is line and if users cross it then they can expect sideffects.

Advertisement