Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Many X's?

• 03-08-2006 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Right, so this firend of mine, got to know her a few months ago. Was under the impression she fancied me, so I kissed her anyways, but I got it wrong, she just wanted me as a friend, grand, better to regret something you did, than didnt and all that jazz. Were still friends anyway. Aint seen her for 3 weeks as she was on holiday.

Day after she comes back she calls over for a quick chat. Anyway, I text her later telling her some news on was waiting on earlier when she called around. She reply's back with count them, 14 "x's"

Now I know girls are into there ending text messages with x's, and it's prolly just the way she is, but FOURTEEN? she just got an itchy trigger finger, or is she interested again? Seems kinda odd she'd call over almost as soon as she got home.

I'm prolly wrong, just a little confused i guess.

Anyone think that she is sending confusing signs?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Maybe she was just padding out the message. U know if u waste all your credit with a two word text, the next time u get credit u are like "Right, no matter what, I am using every damn character space I can in this text."
    Fourteen is too arbitrary a number to read anything into. Now if it was 23 you would probably be having sex right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

^lol.

I think the fact there was 14 x's means she is trying to tell you something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

why don't you ask her about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I don't think its much to look into tbh, OP. If you think theres more to it then ask your friend what she meant by all the xxxx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

are u sure she wasnt replyin back callin u some swear word, but was nice enough to "X" out the swear word? like **** <--- see

actually, im jsut thinkin. if i fancied a girl, but was goin on holidays, i'd say the same. wouldnt wanna be tied down while on holiday! consider that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

But if I ask her, she'd prolly get freaked all be all "I told you were just friends" everyone sends loadsa x's-kinda response.

and god damn it, if it was only 23!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Grem

Its a bit weird.

Dont read anything into it. If she likes you now, she'll let you know in some other (hopefully CLEARER) way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I'd say she was just thumb-happy when writing that message. I have female friends who have boyfriends, and still put strings of x's after each message to *everybody*. If you think she's interested in you, then ask her about that specifically, and don't tell her you were just reading into a text message. I know people can be subtle, but that's much too subtle I think if she's genuinely interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

14 X's? what kind of twat writes FOURTEEN x's?? She wants your knob.

Nick. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Advertisement

She has a history of sending confusing messages, she never makes it clear!

Damn women and their lack of being clear. (I know that statement is too general but meh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Nick wrote:
    14 X's? what kind of twat writes FOURTEEN x's?? She wants your knob.

Nick. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'd agree with this. Anyone who puts so many x's after their message wants your knob.

chump xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

I would take it as a positive sign! It takes time to type all those x's and you couldnt do that by accident! Maybe the holiday gave her a bit of perspective and she is seeing you differently now.... maybe dont say something out straight but if she does it again reply to her with x's too. She may have to bring it up then...

Defo a good sign tho IMHO

Thanks for the advice, but I feel uncomfortable sending a message with the x's, untill I know whats going on in her head like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

As a girl,I can tell you now,it probably means absolutely nothing.

A lot of girls seem to just put a fcuk load of x's at the end of texts,letters etc. In fact,I have a friend in Finland and every time she emails me she puts roughly 30 x's at the very end.

It's like a signature tbh.

And you said you told her some news or something? Maybe she was happy for you/sad for you (I dunno what the news was so this is just a guess) and wanted to show her support/excitement for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Were they upper case or lower case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Peace wrote:
    Were they upper case or lower case?
    What difference would that make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Uppercase X's are with tongue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Aard wrote:
    I'd say she was just thumb-happy when writing that message. I have female friends who have boyfriends, and still put strings of x's after each message to *everybody*. If you think she's interested in you, then ask her about that specifically, and don't tell her you were just reading into a text message. I know people can be subtle, but that's much too subtle I think if she's genuinely interested.

^^

exactly that. You shouldn't try to read into everything she does (I know it's hard sometimes not to). Just be cool. Don't think too much. Not everything has a hidden meaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Nick wrote:

Yup, and if there was 14 upper case X's then she probably groaped you as well.

Man women are impossible to firgure out, you'll have to a little more ground work than reading some x's on a text to know if she's up for it or not. I'd be subtle though, she's already knocked you back and if she has to do it again she won't be impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

If she has decided she likes you then let her do the chasing this time.

She can speak right? Let her come tell you she likes you if she has changed her mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

She may just have sat on her phone. To be honest, I put kisses after most texts to most people (nearly did to my boss in a text when I texted in hungover saying I was going to be late this morning lol:D ) and it doesn't mean anything. If texting someone I REALLY like I tend to refrain. So no, if she said she' not interested, wouldn't waste my time. Don't worry.;)
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Miss Fluff wrote:
    She may just have sat on her phone. To be honest, I put kisses after most texts to most people (nearly did to my boss in a text when I texted in hungover saying I was going to be late this morning lol:D ) and it doesn't mean anything. If texting someone I REALLY like I tend to refrain. So no, if she said she' not interested, wouldn't waste my time. Don't worry.;)
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

OP, this women wants sex ^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Millie1

Whats difficult about it? All the women who have posted responses have said it and I'm gonna say it also. Women do that type of thing. It doesn't necessarily mean anything. I put x's on the end of everything... I don't count them, its as many as turn up before I remove my finger from the button! U cud get 2, u cud get 22....doesn't mean she is in love with you. If she is, u'll know, there'd be better signs than kisses on a text!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭mossieh

Nick wrote:

:D:D:D nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

there was me reading this for 10 mins thinking it was about 14 ex partners. not 14 "X's" at the end of a text.

I have to stop looking here stoned.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

This is why I hate text messages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

depending on her phone she could have that many x's in her personal dictionary thingy for predictive text. you know you hit the 9 key 4 times and it finishes off the rest itself.

i had that on my old phone. hit 9 the 4 time and i got "XxXxXxX".

:D then again i'm propbably wrong and she can't wait to rip your clothes off!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bill Andrex

And how is this a personal issue?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

And how is this a personal issue?? :confused:

Bill
    Please read this forums charter with regards to unhelpful comments
    B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I don't think you should read anything into it. On the other hand, x is a lot easier to type than (i) :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Easy way to find out, text her back and ask what you did to deserve so many kisses. Then cheekily say something along the lines of "can I cash those in at some point?" but make it clear enough that you're saying it light heartedly and jokingly. She can then read into it what she wants and her reply will either let you know a little more or it'll end your speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Posted by The_b_Man:

actually, im just thinkin. if i fancied a girl, but was goin on holidays, i'd say the same. wouldnt wanna be tied down while on holiday! consider that.

Oh, so then that would make the gal you turned down second best to the complete unknown? I'll bet not many gals are standing in line then!

OP, you may want to consider this carefully if that is the case. She put you on hold just in case she found someone she likes better? I find that to be a bit heartless and rude! She either likes you or she doesn't. There is no need for games. Don't settle for being second best. Move forward and find someone who thinks you ARE the best!

L4L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

^ I wouldn't do that (dar83's post). That'll just end up in one person reading into something written by somebody who was reading into something else. A web of confusion is no way to start a relationship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

It's already confused as its gonna get. He obviously doesn't have the heart/bottle to ask her straight out, so it's a nice way of probing the situation. It's forward, but in a light hearted way.
    It's worked in the past for me (a long time ago though), it either goes down the flirty route and you progress from there, or she'll distance herself from the flirty route straight away and you know where you stand. It's quite a nice method to seperate the two possibilities, (if you dont have the nerve to just talk to her about it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

thats just weird on her part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

14: her thumb went onto spasm due to the effect of the JR

Advertisement