Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Boards.ie

Options
  • 03-08-2006 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

Right lads, we hijacked Kingps' thread so I think this needs one of it's own. We are thinking about setting up a boards 11 a side team and will be recruiting around 15 players. It costs €1,500 ish so it'll be €100 a head.

If your interested post your name, position and if possible an email address.

We'll need a manager and/or an organiser who will collect the money, sort registration etc etc. If the person fancies the workload it can be one of the players doubling up.

Should it take off, this thread will be used to give team updates, scores etc.

AFAIK the games are played on a weekday night.

I'll put my name on the list first.

Stephen Kelly
    Anywhere across th eback 4 or as a DM also sub keeper.
    stekelly AT iolfree.ie

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Hijacked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'd be interested. Can play left back or right back and also on the wings. What league would u guys be playing in and also whats the standard like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

would be interested myself. can play anywhere across the midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

cant do it because of work commitments but best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

What league are you entering?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

irish1 wrote:
    What league are you entering?
    The League of Gentlemen of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I would suggest entering www.astro.ie div 1 or 2 matches are on thursday nights in 3 Rock or James gate on 11 a side plastic pitches *pm 9pm and 10pm ko (you only get a few 10pm ones).
    Match is 60 minutes and through the highest scientific testing at University of Kdjac you will run more and cover more ground in that 60 min than 90 on grass (step counter i got free in coco pops)

Decent standard of player in the league, some very good players in it. Rules are no slide tackles and the pitch is split into 3 3rds your only offside in the last 3rd, rolling subs and yellow card is sin bin for 5 minutes.

Game speed is seriously fast, a poor 1st touch and you have lost the ball before you got it, the offisde rule ensures no long balls and each team has to pass it to get in.

More info on the website www.astro.ie and i can get a kit made and sponsored with boards.ie on the back and company i work for on the front.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Looks good, I think we might need more than 15 though to ensure we have a team every week. Are they full size pitches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭soupie

The astro league applies a no offside rule. Well it has done for the last 4 years atleast.

Best of luck with the team cant commit as I plat Sat soccer and train mid week. The lower the league in Astro the higher the Standard seems to be.

the top leagues are full of company teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jebusmusic

I'd be interested in this.

Can play CB, RB or DMC.

When/where would you train?

Email: crowbar0@hotmail.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yes!

I'm interested.

As stated earlier, I'm a mix of Roy Keane, Ronaldinho and Franco Baresi - but less about my looks!

I'll play Centre Mid or Striker. I can spot a good pass, and can make the run to make it a good pass, but not both together.

Jaysis but, a hundred euro a man? I better get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

god id love to do this. dont think i would be able to. was good as a youngster but cant run for too long now without dying. only 20 as well :rolleyes:

my physical size could also be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Great Idea, im playing thurs nights already. pity. saying that its probably just as well with my two left feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

evad_lhorg wrote:
    god id love to do this. dont think i would be able to. was good as a youngster but cant run for too long now without dying. only 20 as well :rolleyes:

my physical size could also be a problem.

If I'm doing this then so are you!

I'm 20, unfit and two left feet. I cant play in any position but I cant cant play
    as a keeper. :D

It all depends on the time and location though. I don't have a car so I would be
    relying on public transport or a lift from my parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jebusmusic

I'm 20, unfit and two left feet. I cant play in any position but I cant cant play as a keeper.

Alex Ferguson will be wanting to hear from you so, about £18mil sound right?

:)

He already has as world class midfielder in John O'sh**e so he would not want
    another one.

John and myself in midfield for Ireland. At least both team fans will be entertained
    on one level or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

jebusmusic wrote:
    Alex Ferguson will be wanting to hear from you so, about £18mil sound right?

oh we have a comedian ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

after a few years out of the game I played Astro.ie to get back into it and it is great. The organisation tends to be quite good and in the Div 1 & 2 the standard can be quite good.

There is no offside and no sliding tackles, yellow card is 5mins in the sin bin, other than that the rules are the same.

The only problem is that the pitches can vary in standard, the 3Rock Rovers hockey ground is exactly that and it plays very fact, you need a great first touch. The AUL is my favourite pitch, plays as close to grass as you could want.

As for the 60minutes, due to the nature of the pitches the play is non-stop and you will get a good work out !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Asi said in the hi-jacked thread, im in! Play striker, big John Hartson style up-front!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i'll provisonally say i'm in too but due to the shift work nature of being a nurse I couldn't guarantee every game.....
    pretty out of condition but a few weeks of playing and a bit of training and i'll be alright. generally play RB/LB but can play as DM too

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Is this a 5 aside team or a full team?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

by the look of things you're gonna have a team of 9 defenders and one solo striker :)

One more defender and we have a team! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Would be interested if it was on a grass pitch, 11 aside and if the competition wasn't too tough or serious. Not a great player but can pass and control the ball well. Have to practise dribbling etc. Don't have €100 yet but would deffo be interested.

Where would the games take place? what league?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Would love to do it, but would the games be in Dublin every week or what?

(I'm a striker by the way, but sometimes play right-wing)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I understand why, but... no slide tackling.... ugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I understand why, but... no slide tackling.... ugh

Do more damage to yourself then the other player, its actually good forces players to stay on their feet.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

i'd be up for it too, can play any centre/right of defence and centre/right midfield, working my way back to fitness, too many years sitting in front of a pc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Can girls play? **Sniffle** :o

Advertisement