Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

lol.

I'll try pop along to the pro tourney K since PHB wont be there:p (he got lucky)

I don't seem to play half as good on Astro as I do on grass, not that that's any good anyway but still.

Does the astro league have different divisions? I know one guy who plays on it and he's really good.

How good are team boards.ie gonna be I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

while left wing would be a great position id like to play i think i failed to explain fully my level of fitnness. it has probably been 7 years since i last played a team sport. gettin fit would take a while so my preferred position except for the last 5 or so minutes (id get the goals though;) ) would be as illustrated:D

http://canid.com/pics/jbm_playground8.jpg

Stekelly wrote:
    Is it too late toorganise a get together and maybe a kick about this thurs evening? Around 8?

I'm up for a kick about any time and pretty much any where:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ste

Maybe start a new thread with possible meet up?

kdjac

evad_lhorg wrote:
    while left wing would be a great position id like to play i think i failed to explain fully my level of fitnness. it has probably been 7 years since i last played a team sport. gettin fit would take a while so my preferred position except for the last 5 or so minutes (id get the goals though;) ) would be as illustrated:D

http://canid.com/pics/jbm_playground8.jpg

ahw, but you're a bit young, no? :D

I think if we could all meet up for a 2 hour game it would give a great idea of everyones fitness level and could give the organisers a good view of who is good in what positions etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Right If we can get a min of 10 definates for a meet on thurs it should go ahead.

I'll be fiirst to put my name i n for the inaugural meet of Boarderpool.ie :) (Team Boards.ie) On thurs at 8. Would the pheonix park be a good starting point?

KdjaC wrote:
    Ste

Maybe start a new thread with possible meet up?

kdjac

Will Do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Stekelly wrote:
    Right If we can get a min of 10 definates for a meet on thurs it should go ahead.

I'll be fiirst to put my name i n for the inaugural meet of Boarderpool.ie :) (Team Boards.ie) On thurs at 8. Would the pheonix park be a good starting point?

Yeah sounds poi-fect for me. I've a mate who is on boards and would also like to play but isn't currently in the soccer forum. Is it a case of...

1/ Getting a certain number (say 16 for example) and sticking to it, or
    2/ Getting a good few people down and seeing what we've got to work with. (and in this case who will call the shots?)

We could elt the normal posters be our managers, they know everything anyway :p

I be bringing a keeper, **** on crosses tho.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    kdjac

Great, we could call him Jesus.

Or maybe Dracula if he's afraid of crosses.

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:

kdjac

The left anf right fulls will just have to make sure none co me in so,

Hes a decent shot stopper but doubt him on crosses.

kdjac

Phoenix at 8 is fine for me, where abouts in the Phoenix? The pitches near the pope thing?

On another note. I got ordained online the other night so I will double up as team chaplain. (didnt think it'd comeinto play this quick) I'm waiting on the ministry pack I bought to arrive and I'll have all my parafinalia (sp?) to preform weddings etc. Hopefully the last rites wont have to be done.

Stekelly wrote:
    On another note. I got ordained online the other night so I will double up as team chaplain. (didnt think it'd comeinto play this quick) I'm waiting on the ministry pack I bought to arrive and I'll have all my parafinalia (sp?) to preform weddings etc. Hopefully the last rites wont have to be done.

LOL, gettin flashbacks of the Fr. Ted priests over-75's game.

- Father, he's dead.
    - So there's absolutely no way he can play then?

And of course...

"Canus, deus, Costacurta, Baggio..."

Stekelly wrote:

Wtf?

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Wtf?

kdjac

It's surpriseinly easy to become ordained. I did it at 3 in the morning while drunk, but it still counts.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

haha that is brilliant. how much did it cost?

evad_lhorg wrote:
    And is it Fr. Kelly now?

evad_lhorg wrote:

Free to be ordained then $40 (dollars) for the ministry pack (i have to kill my credit card :) ) that gives me a cert and licences etc.

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    And is it Fr. Kelly now?

That or I was thinking of maybe Fr. Ste, to be down with the kids (in the old sense of the term from before pedeophiles were invented :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

KdjaCL wrote:
    Its made of plastic :confused:

www.astro.ie

have a mess about on the site, i reckon the team should enter that league as it can be mini or full season and as its mid august a mini may suit us.

kdjac

I can walk to this place :-D

Its an amazing pitch. Never played with the lights on but they look great too if
    we do need them.

The pitch itself is plastic blades of grass. I used to be able to wear boots on
    it so I presume nothing has changed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I hate astro picthes =( , they feel so wrong, the balls moves funny over it and bounces funny! that said you can wizz in shots and there is no friction =D.

But

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

you can't wear boots, astro runners or normal runners only. Strongly recommend Astro runners, especially in the winter league when it gets a bit wetter.

The top 3 divisions in this are pretty tough. All company teams, but those teams are full of top players. I play in Div 2 with DCU and I play LSL Senior 1B

I know at least 30 other players in the league from playing with or against them in the LSL. The BT team for example has 8 players from the top 4 leagues in the LSL.

Would recommend that you start out in Div 6 or 7 and get used to the pitches and standard before moving up. Give you a chance to get a regular club going and make sure that you can fulfill fixtures. DCU have 30 players registered, we're top of the league with 1 game to go and we've struggled to get 11 for the last 4 games. You'd be amazed how many people are away/sick/caught in work/injured/tired/have other plans!!

good luck with it.

Thanks for that Iago. Are you a student at DCU?

I reckon we go for division 7 anyway:D

Are there similar leagues/cups on grass or has Astro become more popular for this type of league?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Not a student, but I knew a few of the lecturers there and I've playing Astro with them and associated others since '98.

The only thing that comes close to this level on grass is the UCL league but you'd need to train mid-week and play saturday or sunday in that one. Astro is better because it forces you to improve your game, you can't afford to have a bad touch, you have to improve your passing. It's good craic as well, but Div 6 or 7 should be fine until you find your level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Played up in the Astro.ie league a few times for different companies. Standard is pretty good, played in the Second Division, and lost a few games. Played up on the Three Rock pitches, excellent facilities.
    If people do pay the 100e, I reckon there shouldn't be a problem with people not turning up. I'd have to agree with joining the 7th division, we could probably win a few games, and wouldn't be as de-moralising as getting a few hammerings.

Sounds good alright.

I think Div 7 would be a good starting point too:D

Probably be looking at around €200 if we'd have to invest in some astro boots too. What's the story with a kit?

cormie wrote:
    What's the story with a kit?

I see Ste morrow and if he says we going to astro, then i try get the kit sorted.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ansan

Stekelly wrote:

So is there gonna be a kick-about in the pheonix park tonite? cos i'd be up for that!

:)

Advertisement