Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1992ish Mitsubishi Pajero - Opinions?

Options
  • 03-08-2006 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭

Need money pretty bad so I'm going to need to sell my car and temporarily (hopefully!) downgrade to something in the 2 - 3k range, I was going to just get an old Fiesta or a Punto or something :( but then thought it would also be handy to have a van or something with a fair bit of room that I could carry stuff as I frequently find myself needing to lug furniture from place to place.
    Was thinkin first maybe a mini-van but then during my browsing a few old (12+ year old) SUVs caught my eye. They've certainly got a fair bit more personality that an old Hi-Ace....

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_detail.asp?CBGID=465376&ID=735569
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=481724
    autotrader

Does anyone here by any chance run one of these, that age or with that kinda mileage? Just want to make sure it’s not a false economy... I need it be reliable and don’t want to end up paying more than its worth in repairs and such. Or am I mad with the idea of 12/13-year-old Pajero to begin with?

Otherwise, any other suggestions for something cheap and spacious enough that I can move some stuff around in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I reckon they predate the term "SUV". :)

Farmers around here have trashed them for years, and they have stood up well. I have seen some pretty abused examples, and they took it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

I've got a 97' Pajero 2.8 SWB Manual. I've had it for 2 years now and so far its lived up 2 its reputation of being very reliable. Mine is a commercial so I get cheap road tax and insurance but the downside is an annual DOE costing about e120,heavy on the diesel (26mpg) and has to be servicred every 10000 km. Its as fast as you need 0-60 is about 14 secs and it tops out at 105mph.

West End motors seem to have stock in good condition,if you're buying a jap they'd have a good selection of high quality pajeros. If I was you I'd avoid buying an automatic as they tend to be more troublesome than the manuals. And people say that the 2.8 is a better engine to go for as it is a lot more powerful and is chain driven not belt driven like the 2.5. The MK2 Pajeros (From 91-99) have the best reputation for reliability. So Ideally you should go for a MK2 2.8 Manual.

Is there anything else that you want to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

How about a Volvo or Mercedes W124 estate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Watch out for gearbox and diff problems, they're well known for giving trouble. How on earth is Westend Garage affording to give warranty on a 16 year old jeep for 2900 euros?? He must be getting them for nothing plus the VRT. One warranty issue with one of these jeeps alone could knock you back 1000 euros alone!!!!:confused:

Advertisement