Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What sealant/adhesive can i use as air tight gasket?

Options
  • 03-08-2006 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hey!
    I posted earlyer today with a problem that turned out to be a problem with the carb on a mk3 golf. I sprayed some GT85 at the base of the carb when it was running idle to see if there was a problem with the seal which turned out to be the case. Now i don't know if this is usual but there is not gasket as such, the carb sits on top of a rubber mat if you will thats not replacable, there is however the remains on the base of the carb of what seems to be a sealant or an adhesive of some kind. What is this and is there something i can get to solve my problem. The engines takeing in air and as a result shakes and rattels to bits with this been the issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The rubber mounting plate IS replaceable - go to a main dealer and they will supply it for you - I used to sell VW parts and sold hundreds of these things.

Most sealants will get dissolved by petrol........................eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

I bought today a tube of Loctite Instant Gasket Flange Sealant 5962. Its blue in colour and from reading the back it sounds like just the ticket. It takes up to 24hrs to be fully cured so ill post back latter should anyone be in the same situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

You should also be able to get plain sheets of gasket material and cut your own gasket to suit.

Not sure if that Blue Liquid gasket material is dissolved by gar os not, however if you have gobs of it overhanging the inside of the carb bore, the could end up getting getting injested by the engine. so if you can see and reach through the carb, check and remove (use a vacuum) any overhanging extruded gobs.

Also, if this engine has an O2 sensor, that blue glue typically kills them if used as you have. Unless it states the material is O2 sensor safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I recently replaced the carb on my car, and I also used the blue Loctite stuff. Does the ticket alright, once it's fully dry, the overhanging 'gobs' usually stay and rarely break off.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

God dam it! The blue gasket seal did work ok but it wasn't the carb as such thats the problem, its the rubber mounting plate onto which the carb sits thats the problem. The carb itself is now air tight and there is a little difference in running but as soon as she settels down to 900rpm she rattels and hums. I can't pin point where on the rubber plate the problem is but when you go right down close to it you can hear a hising like you would from a slow puncture. Crosstownk said that this rubber mounting is replacable, at which i take his word for, but i can't see how as theres no way to release it and theres four rivet like bolts holding it down, also i think its sealed to the gasket head. I have a look in the local scrap yard and see what they have to say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Crosstownk said that this rubber mounting is replacable, at which i take his word for, but i can't see how as theres no way to release it and theres four rivet like bolts holding it down, also i think its sealed to the gasket head. I have a look in the local scrap yard and see what they have to say
    Talk to your local VW dealer. Failing that PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

:D:D FFS OP, buy the bloody seal, and keep your brother away from the car.

It could take all of a days wages to put things right otherwise :D

Advertisement