Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feral cats

• 03-08-2006 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭

Went for the usual evening stroll with Mr Beretta in the adjoining farm, seemed to be very few bunnies around.
    Hunted downwind for a while and then made a big circle back to the starting point when I see a black shape scratching around under a row of trees, as I stalk back upwind I can see that it is a feral cat and a big one at that.
    I quickly walk up to where I saw it last and it has moved about 30 metres away down along another stand of trees.
    I close to within 20m and let rip with 34g of Eley maximum.
    The cat disappears down the row of trees at speed and enters the ditch next to the trees.
    The ditch is full of brambles and elderflower and is quite overgrown and I can see and hear nothing.
    Not wanting to get entangled with the cat I lob a stone into the ditch, the cat emerges and runs back the way it came at high speed, I use another of the 34g Maximums and the cat hardly slows even though I can see it is hit.
    after what seems like an age but is only 1 or 2 seconds the animal falls at the side of the path and waits for the coup-de-grace.
    Obviously I would have preferred to finish the cat with one shot but #7 shot is not enough for tough wild cats.
    What size shot would you use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

BBs and upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Just a question, what is a "feral" cat???
    And if it is just a "wild" housecat, why would one feel the need to shoot it?, unless it had attacked chickens etc.....

I am not criticising you im just wondering is all!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Feral = Wild.

When domestic cats run around procreating madly, the result is large numbers of wild cats. These are very bad for anyone with poultry, and local wildlife in particular, along with causing a general health hazard.

They are also very tough to knock, so I'd agree with the BB thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

bb's is the way to go unless you want to go down the rifle route. I shot two huge f*@$#rs last summer. the first one i got with 36g remmy shurshot at maybe 35yards and it covered nearly 300yards before it stopped. My Britney found it face down in a field of barley, if she had'nt do so i would have reckoned i had missed. the second fellow got wise and i could never get near him so the swift was called into action. About 3 weeks and a dozen of my doves later i put 1 in his right ear at a little over 200yards

Hezz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Newby.204
    There is a big difference between Feral and domestic cats, Feral cats carry some pretty nasty diseases including toxoplasmosis which was recently responsible for the death of a child in Donegal.
    I see shooting feral cats the same way as any other type of vermin control, wild cats do an inordinate amount of damage to bird/game populations and they are also eating "My" Rabbits.
    I have shot 3 this year so far 2 with the shotgun and 1 with the .22wmr.
    even with the .22 magnum it still took 2 shots to kill as I couldn't get a headshot.
    They are tough animals I will get some BB and maybe AAA shot to see if it makes a difference ;)
    I will add that I am using a Turkey choke which is equivalent to an extra full choke.

• Advertisement

That seems fairly logical alright thanks for clearing that up......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

CJhaughey wrote:
    Newby.204
    There is a big difference between Feral and domestic cats, Feral cats carry some pretty nasty diseases including toxoplasmosis which was recently responsible for the death of a child in Donegal.

Funny how nobody commented on the fact that the child was seriously neglected, filthy, skinny and full of nits when she was admitted to hospital. Her mother blamed the cat. Social services, I've heard, had other ideas.

All cats carry toxoplasmosis if they aren't wormed regularily.

You're just fumbling for excues to kill stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭Leax

Second Garth's info, all cats can potentially carry toxoplasmosis, it is shed in faeces and after 24 hrs the parasite becomes active and at that point must be ingested by a human in order for it to cause infection. A human is much more likely to catch toxoplasmosis from handling raw meat.

Also there are no indigineous wild cats in ireland, the term feral is really referring to strayed and abandoned domestic cats and each 'feral' cat can be traced back to a strayed and abandoned cat through its ancestry.

Whatever reasons are used, at least let them be based on fact.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

There were no inaccuracys posted by anyone, no fumbling and no excuses.

Any domestic animal that has been for two generations in the wild or without human domesticy,is considerd wild.The only reason that they are called feral is to differantae them from the genuine wild animal.Pity that we dont have the real wildcat over here.Their main prey is for some reason their domesticated brethern.

• Advertisement

Garth wrote:
    Funny how nobody commented on the fact that the child was seriously neglected, filthy, skinny and full of nits when she was admitted to hospital. Her mother blamed the cat. Social services, I've heard, had other ideas.

All cats carry toxoplasmosis if they aren't wormed regularily.

Sorry, if I neglected to mention the whole story but I really thought this was a shooting forum and to diverge too far from the thread makes a thread irrelevant.
    Oh and you are the first person to call me a fumbler :)
    Obviously you are not a shooter or indeed a hunter of any make and model otherwise you would be more concerned at the damage Feral cats do to the indigenous species of this island.
    So my question to you is; What are you doing here in the shooting forum if what is written offends you?
    edit:
    even the ISPCA agrees that feral cats are a problem.
    News Release, 6 April 2005

The Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ISPCA) are calling on members of the public to take a proactive role in reducing the huge numbers of stray and unwanted pets in Ireland.

Feral cat populations are soaring throughout the country and in particular in our capital Dublin where in excess of one million cats are roaming and breeding uncontrollably. These feral cats live in groups throughout the country, scavenging for food and most of them have various health problems including cat flu, cat leukemia and FELV (the feline strain of the AIDS virus). While these diseases are not transmittable to humans, they are to domestic pet cats and all of these diseases can have fatal consequences often resulting in a painful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

em i stumbled across this by accident so I wont get too involved but I think the ISPCA arent particulalry fond of hunters so wouldnt be advocating shooting any animals - by proactive role Im pretty sure they mean spaying and neutering and I doubt if theyd be too impressed with being quoted on a shooting forum!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Garth wrote:

Personally, I never fumble for excuses to kill stuff.

Any time I kill an animal,
    it is for a very good reason,

Because I want to.

Dvs.

subtle as ever Dvs subtle as ever..............:D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Really we're all a bunch of sicko's who get enjoyment out of killing stuff and have no appreciation for anything, obviously we're not to be trusted. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

I must admit I rarely hunt, I'm a target shooter.

But I must admit there is a certain satisfaction shooting a crow/magpie (with an Anschutz 2013 ALU stock - which looks a bit silly to be shooting crows with but thats another story) as they are sneaky to the extent that its a battle of wits to try and shoot one.

Me against the crow usually ends up in the crow winning, you could do a jig and point a brush shaft at a crow screaming *BANG* at him, he will sit there unconcerned.

Rattle the keys of the gun safe at him and he's away like a shot.

Maybe thats just the more intelligent crows we get in the north :D (cue abuse)

Please dont feed the Trolls lads,they just multiply.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Just for the record, here's where this thread was brought to the attention of the more general audience-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054972171

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Jotter wrote:
    by proactive role Im pretty sure they mean spaying and neutering

How are you supposed to do this to wild animals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

holy **** we stirred up a right wasps nest over there on pets forum, even the moderator is screeching like shot cat:D :D
    excellent post newby.204 over yhere

• Advertisement

What harm do feral cats do just so i can get my facts straight

What harm do feral cats do just so i can get my facts straight
    Look, I am not posting to antagonise anyone, as you can all see from what I asked of the two who posted in response to my original post, basically they haven't got a clue.
    I would guess that they are urban dwelling people who don't really understand what life is like outside a city.
    Did any of them ask do I or my family have a cat?
    Did they ask whether we felt fear for the health and well being of the family pet?
    Did they ask whether my <2 yr old son was at risk of toxoplasmosis from encountering cat faeces where he plays in the back garden?
    Did they ask whether my pregnant wife risks our unborn child while gardening because of cat faeces in the vege garden?
    The simple answer is no they did not, because these people believe that they know everything and that what they believe is right; is right.
    They claim that what I did was cruel, would I have followed up and dispatched the cat if I was cruel?
    They hope that my shotgun is turned against me someday, Is that the voice of reason?
    They wonder whether I know the difference between a feral cat and a domestic cat?
    These people have obviously never seen a cat suffering from various diseases where the hair has fallen out in patches and the teeth are black, and they still wonder how I know the difference between a well cared for domestic animal and this one?
    I know the difference alright would they?
    I am a bloodthirsty sick piece of **** that gets pleasure from killing things and I am always on the look out for things to kill.
    This is what has been posted about me.
    If I was just looking for things to kill would I not just blast away at swallows that swoop around the fields near my house? Would I not be content with blasting a few loads of shot at the tame robin that my son enjoys looking at?
    Would I not finish off the thrush and other songbirds that feed in the back garden?
    The answer is I wouldn't because I a not a sick sadistic killer, contrary to what these people have dreamt up in their fevered imaginations I am a normal human being that happens to live in the country and as such I see myself as part of the countryside as much as any animal.
    I take pleasure in watching and listening to songbirds in the morning, as does the rest of my family.
    Perhaps the people that attacked my honesty and integrity would do well to spend some time in the country and ask a sheep farmer or two about feral cats sometime.
    Somehow I doubt it, they seem to have all the answers already.....

Sorry i didnt mean to strike up an argument with you i am a shooting man myself and totally agree with your cause of action. I just have no experience with feral cats and was wondering what damage they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Tyrone

CJhaughey, Them dang City folks just don't understand what it's like to be a country boy.

Most folks I know just drown the damn cats when they become a problem or club them. :)

Hell, I shoot coydogs every deer season. Come to think about it, I just about shoot everything that comes on my bait pile. Skunks, Coons, Porcupines, squirrles, rabbits, you name it, I kill it. Killed me a couple Black bears too.
    One shot, legs flop, they drop. I pride myself on one shot kills.

Kinda like when your out hunting and you hear someone shoot, one shot, Yea!
    Two shots, Maybe, Three shots, No Way, time for that boy to go back home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Tyrone wrote:
    Kinda like when your out hunting and you hear someone shoot, one shot, Yea!
    Two shots, Maybe, Three shots, No Way, time for that boy to go back home.

or if your near me you will see 3 rabbits in my hand tis the way i get most of my kill quick sucession shooting all heads(just incase i get flamed)

maglite wrote:
    or if your near me you will see 3 rabbits in my hand tis the way i get most of my kill quick sucession shooting all heads(just incase i get flamed)

maglite, You the man! Quick Kill is the way to go.

I dumped 5 deer in 4 seconds one morning. Had to finish one off with a second shot. It was the first one I shot and I hit him in the neck, dumped him but he was still alive, Felt bad about that one. Oh well, they filled my freezer and a couples of friends freezers too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

CJhaughey wrote:
    I close to within 20m and let rip with 34g of Eley maximum......
    I use another of the 34g Maximums and the cat hardly slows even though I can see it is hit......
    Obviously I would have preferred to finish the cat with one shot but #7 shot is not enough for tough wild cats.
    What size shot would you use?

I am from a rural area, I am a pet owner and I am a vet. I myself am not a shooter/hunter but my father, uncles and brother are. I would say I have a reasonable experience of this issue from many points of view.

I think that the Trap-Neuter-Return system, altered to Trap-Neuter-Euthanise, would be more humane and efficient than shooting and COULD be implemented on a cost-effective basis as in other countries. However, I agree that at the moment, shooting feral cats, when you are certain that is what they are, is probably the only viable option for farmers at this time.

My issue with this particular argument is that the OP chose to go ahead and shoot the cat when he knew he did not have the appropriate shot for dealing with it. Fair enough he did manage to finish the cat in the end but this may not have been the case. He may have been unable to locate and finish the cat. I have seen several cats, mainly wild but some pets, in the course of my work that have been shot but not killed and had managed to struggle on with unbelievable injuries. These animals, vermin though they may be in some eyes, had suffered needlessly due to poor, irresponsible shooting.

I'm sure you will all claim to be responsible, capable shooters, and I really hope you are. But unfortunately many are not .

Nando
    You seem to be a little more balanced than other individuals that have posted on this board.
    I agree that #7 is not enough but I can only go on what I have previously used on feral cats.
    The first wild cat was easily disposed of with 1 No7 shot.This cat was in poor condition and was probably not as strong as the third.
    The second took 2 rounds of .22 Magnum which is quite a lot of lead considering that the muzzle energy of .22wmr is nearly twice that of .22Lr.
    The last cat which I posted about took 2 rounds to finish, I didn't need the third as the cat had already gone down but as I am a humane person I used another round to finish it off.
    So going on my previous experiences I found No7 to be adequate for shooting cats I did not set out with the intention of wasting 3 rounds of ammunition as I usually pride myself on my marksmanship.
    However I now realise that I will need to get a heavier grade of shot in order to deal with cats ergo this post.

I think that the Trap-Neuter-Return system, altered to Trap-Neuter-Euthanise, would be more humane and efficient than shooting and COULD be implemented on a cost-effective basis as in other countries. However, I agree that at the moment, shooting feral cats, when you are certain that is what they are, is probably the only viable option for farmers at this time.
    The only problem with this is cost efficency and effectiveness.WHO fills the bill???? The humane societies are always short of money,the councils ? Or ultimately the taxpayers of this country??OTOH you have a service being done for free,maybe disagreeable for some animal lovers ,but a service that is effective and humane as possible.

• Advertisement

CJ,
    dont take what the animal nazis say about you to heart.It is like trying to argue with Bin Ladin that there might be a few faults in the Koran,and the fellow pointing it out is GWB!!
    Hey,Ive accepted it along time ago that I am an animal abusing,wife beating,daughter screwing,illlierate,who cant string a coherent sentence together, sadist who was abused as a kid,who has a sexual problem[just goes to show that those anti gun nuts never read Freud properly] who needs an ersatz penis in the shape of a gun.Who lives in a run down trailer,drives a pickup and wears a baseball cap,and have a mouthful of tomb stone teeth.And all we want to do is kil,kill,kill.:D :D
    Funny enough,if they went and applied steryotypes to gays,or our coloured bethern,these very same people would be howling for blood.Guess we arent politically correct us shooters.Glad I am a shooter in that case,and will stay so till the day I die.:D F$%K PC!!!!

Hey Clare gunner! Eyes lives in a old trailer, drives me a beat up pickem-up andt have a mouthful of rotten teeth andt all eyes wants to do is drink me's beer andt shoot everything width fer legs. It's a Red Neck thing Ya Know :)

Old trailer with t'internet eaaahhh!! ;)

Tyrone wrote:
    Hey Clare gunner! Eyes lives in a old trailer, drives me a beat up pickem-up andt have a mouthful of rotten teeth andt all eyes wants to do is drink me's beer andt shoot everything width fer legs. It's a Red Neck thing Ya Know :)

Datys Fur Shyure!I am in fuerl Akgeemyent wid youre on une tayng dem City folks syrue don now a gude tyme if it bit dem on de ass outsyde in de fammly one holer!!:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WallysWorld

Datys Fur Shyure!I am in fuerl Akgeemyent wid youre on une tayng dem City folks syrue don now a gude tyme if it bit dem on de ass outsyde in de fammly one holer!!:D :D

Cue theme tune from deliverance!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 PAIMEI

As far as I'm concerned the only answer to antis is this. I dont do anything outside the law when I'm shooting, if they ban all types of shooting and hunting I'll give up (Not without a fight however) now if I'm not doing anything outside the remit of the law then I dont need your anti hunting/shooting arguement rammed down my throat. I dont drag you out in a field and make you shoot things so you mind your own business and I'll mind mine. Simple as, I've used it quiet a few times and when they come back with their "its cruel, its barbaric" I'm normally answer back with "so is bombing innocent women and children and thats happening all over the world".

• Advertisement

I recall many, many, years ago walking down a country road with my gun in one hand and a dead rabit in the other. Some women stops while passing by and starts to give me crap about killing the poor bunny. I simple said, Do you eat meat lady. She shut up and drove off. Ya gotta love those people!

Thanks for the support.
    Don't worry I am not taking anything to heart, especially not from posters that only come on and troll and do not reply to my posts ;)
    I argue my point and they cannot argue rationally so it doesn't get anywhere.
    Fascism is alive and well in the animal rights brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Look CJh . Havnt really be following this thread i have more important things to do .

My problem with you is that you seem to take more pleasure in killing the animal than simply pest control .

Grimes
    Where did I say thatI enjoyed killing the cat?
    I don't recall posting anything about enjoyment.
    All I posted was a question about the best calibre to use on these animals, in return I had death threats and personal abuse levelled at me.
    Quite frankly I can see just how animal rights activists have a bad name.
    and Grimes if you aren't following this thread because you are busy with Lego then I suggest you read it before coming and levelling more accusations at me which you cannot back up.

Grimes, I would not worry about CJhaughey too much.

All Serial Killers have three things in common. Its called the Triad.

One is cruelty to aminals, the second is fire starting, and the third is wetting the bed after the age of 12.

If you consider killing a feral cat cruelty to aminals then thats only one point of the triad.

So I guess you safe for the time being :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Grimes

will you just go back to your stamp collection or whatever it is that rows your boat and us to our tobacco chewin. A truly wise man only comments when in posession of all the facts on any given topic.

CJ

Keep on doin what a do best and try to ignore the midges:D

Hezz .

I take pleasure in shooting, hunting and killing!There,making no bones about it.What you animal Nazis going to do about it????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Its in the way you type and the words you use. I find it offensive and for the record im not an animal rights activist or anything like it. I also dont think remarks to the forum I mod are constructive or smart thank you.

I take pleasure in shooting, hunting and killing!There,making no bones about it.What you animal Nazis going to do about it????

Yea its called being sarcastic grimes:D For people who quite OBVIOUSLY are our BETTERS,because they dont engage in ritual satanic animal slaughter, they seem to be quite naive and well city yupees who know **** all about what the coutry is like. You know those gimps who wnat to get away from it all then when they find out we do be making noise with are them there shooting sticks, go and **** it up for us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GET A LIFE

CJ, good man looking after you and yours keep it up!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Lads, back off on the personal stuff. No more warnings.

Nice tio see diversity of opinion and freedom of speech being respected .:mad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    BTW Grimes I HAVE NOT posted on your forum.I couldnt be arsed argueing with animal nazis anymore. Sticks and stones and if you cant stand the heat, and all that.:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

CJhaughey wrote:
    I would guess that they are urban dwelling people who don't really understand what life is like outside a city.
    Did any of them ask do I or my family have a cat?
    Did they ask whether we felt fear for the health and well being of the family pet?
    Did they ask whether my <2 yr old son was at risk of toxoplasmosis from encountering cat faeces where he plays in the back garden?
    Did they ask whether my pregnant wife risks our unborn child while gardening because of cat faeces in the vege garden?.

Hilarious! Proof that rural Ireland is getting more and more like America! "out of my cold dead hand"

CJ, I guarentee you, statisically, there is a bigger chance of your 2 year old kid blowing your unborn baby away with one of your guns than contacting toxoplasmosis.

Still, I have to admire you... "those dangerous cats" walking around with a gun! Brilliant...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

lightening wrote:
    CJ, I guarentee you, statisically, there is a bigger chance of your 2 year old kid blowing your unborn baby away with one of your guns than contacting toxoplasmosis.

Actually not in Ireland, accidental gun deaths are a tiny figure.

I think people time would be better spent worrying about the people that club and drown cats and dogs.

I warn you all to keep this a civial debate or you will get a ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I have to say this is a joke.

feral cats, fox, mink, crow, magpies etc etc are vermin and should be controlled by any reasonable means at our disposal. No shooter on here is proud of or condones causing animals un-necessary pain or suffering.

Would the animal rights activists prefer that vermin be given free reign? Or would you rather someone go around and put crows, magpies, fox etc "to sleep"

The grey squirrel wipe out the red.

Fox numbers soar and thin out wild bird numbers, lambs, chickens.

Also humans have hunted for thousands and thousands of years, do you think those animals hunted with clubs, rocks and sticks met a slower or faster death than animals hunted with guns.

Only in the last 250'ish years have humans had guns to hunt with.

Sure no one needs to hunt in the modern day but then again no one needs to eat meat either.

Like if you have any leather clothing, drink milk, eat eggs, use butter or eat meat then you are helping to fuel industries that enslave thousands of animals world wide. If you have anything in your house made of timber that once could have been home to an array of creatures.

Large milk farms in america have over 1 thousand cattle which rarely if ever see the light of day.

So on the grand scale of animal cruelty hunting must be way down.

I have decided not to post in this thread anymore, far too much trolling going on for my liking.
    All the negative posts bar one have been poorly constructed arguments that do not hold up
    It would be far better if the people that are so upset and righteous about me shooting feral cats instead channel their money and time into providing a trapping service or making sure that pet owners are responsible enough to neuter their pets so that this situation does not occur.
    Until then I will do what I have to do to make sure the problem is not going to impact me or my family.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement