Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feral cats

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

[
    It would be far better if the people that are so upset and righteous about me shooting feral cats instead channel their money and time into providing a trapping service or making sure that pet owners are responsible enough to neuter their pets so that this situation does not occur.

Nah! It's easier to bitch &moan about somthing you dont approve of ,than arising of ones arse and going out and doing somthing to rectify the situation.
    Fact is;NO One wants to put their hand deeper into their pockets to pay for it. Not even the Animal Nazis,considering that one was suggesting that if you were bothered by them,catch them in a humane trap,pay to get them neutered!Then return them to your property,and worm them occasionally!!!!SHEESH!!! Take a wild animal with the teeth of a shark and the morals of a psychopath to the vet and get it neuterd NO thanks.A 12 GA oo buck cartridge is cheaper. I dont want them around my house or property neuterd or otherwise.
    Also it isnt very effective,considering it has been tried in Aussie where the feral house cat is now actually endangering some of AZ natural species,like snakes,lizards,kola bears ,etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Rew wrote:
    Actually not in Ireland, accidental gun deaths are a tiny figure.

I think people time would be better spent worrying about the people that club and drown cats and dogs.

I warn you all to keep this a civial debate or you will get a ban.

So are cat related deaths.

I didn't mean to be uncivil, just making a point, sorry if I upset anyone.

I still reckon there are more gun related deaths in Ireland than cat related deaths, was a kid up the north not shot in his playground last year?

I have seen lads out in the backroads of Roscommon in cars leaning out the windows, shooting accross the roof of cars at crows, passing the unbroken loaded gun to each other in the car. That has to be more dangerous than cats, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

sorry Clare gunner but .....
    feral house cat is now actually endangering some of AZ natural species,like snakes,lizards,kola bears ,etc.

are they like the penny sweets you used to be able to by :D

I've found the solution to all this squabbling by the way... FCSHAP (Feral Cat Sexual Health Awareness Programme) and cat condoms (similar in size to what most ....... oh don't go there!!! :p )

Sheesh my family and friends have to put up with that sense of humour ---^ the whole time !!!

And back on topic a 36gr #6 is also an insufficient load for big ass feral cats...I mean I was a fool to think it would do... I've shot smaller foxes :eek: shoulda used a 2 or BB...currently low on ammo though
    anywho couldn't find him after that even with the dog searchin for close to an hour....but the dog has been trained not to follow cats... domestic cats that is... but he is stupid and doesn't know the difference, sheesh! who can't tell a domestic cat from a feral cat :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

[
    I still reckon there are more gun related deaths in Ireland than cat related deaths, was a kid up the north not shot in his playground last year?

Err somthing like FIVE last year!!Compared to how many boy racer deaths????
    Also said kid recoverd,and NI is NOT included in the Irish republic stats,it is still UK domain,wether it is liked or not.
    I have seen lads out in the backroads of Roscommon in cars leaning out the windows, shooting accross the roof of cars at crows, passing the unbroken loaded gun to each other in the car. That has to be more dangerous than cats, no?

Yes,that is stupid behaviour.But no one claimed that we are ALL angels.Go to any walk of life and you will find ar£e holes in any group,including "animal lovers".As to what your point is between bad gun manners and disease carrying cats is,I fail to see?Enlighten us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Vegeta wrote:
    Also humans have hunted for thousands and thousands of years, do you think those animals hunted with clubs, rocks and sticks met a slower or faster death than animals hunted with guns.
    Are you insane?
    Yes humans have hunted for *food* for thousands of years, but there is a huge difference between hunting for food and hunting for "sport".
    You come on *my* land, and do somthing to hurt my possesions, can I kill you? nope, all I can do is at most restrain you till the situation can be dealt with properly.
    The death penalty for humans was abolished a long time ago for many reasons, including the possibility of innocence, the (finally)understanding that there are other means of restricting a danger from the public.
    IMO, there is a basic need for power in anyone who uses a gun on an animal that cannot defend itself, the person wants to see themselves as an executioner and knows there is nothing stopping them.
    Trapping and killing are very different. Shooting is not the only way, nor is it a humane way to get any animal off your property should you wish to.
    Vegeta wrote:
    Only in the last 250'ish years have humans had guns to hunt with.
    Yep, and before that we managed our land quite well, and usually humanely. And often *gasp* with a respect for the wildlife surrounding and on it. Indeed, cats were often encouraged by farmers to stay on their land to control rodents that they saw as vermin, these farmers obviously weighed up the pro's and con's of keeping cats, and decided they were a useful animal.
    But now, there are other ways of controling rodents, so farmers dont need cats anymore so there ya go, shoot em all, typical.
    Vegeta wrote:
    Sure no one needs to hunt in the modern day but then again no one needs to eat meat either.
    Like if you have any leather clothing, drink milk, eat eggs, use butter or eat meat then you are helping to fuel industries that enslave thousands of animals world wide. If you have anything in your house made of timber that once could have been home to an array of creatures.
    Large milk farms in america have over 1 thousand cattle which rarely if ever see the light of day.
    So on the grand scale of animal cruelty hunting must be way down.

That is a ridiculous statment, aside from anything else, the things you talk about are (usually) monitored and have by law at least, to be conducted in a humane way.
    Any by the way, butter / cheese / milk, / producing eggs does not have to harm the animal, no clue where you got that one from.
    As for these "Large milk farms" whos cows never see the light of day, they are not operating according to the law and can be dealt with. Their ignorance has repurcussions on them, they can be held accountable through the legal system.
    Show me how a cat, feral or otherwise, gets such a good deal when being shot or injured by an mis-informed amateur with a god-complex.

Not all gun owners are awful horrible cruel people, some of them would never dream of killing unless it was an absolute emergency with NO other way of dealing with it, but the licence laws and the monitoring of how they are being used needs desperately to be re-evaluated.

Lets see, if you think shooting cats is fine, put a cheap cctv camera on your coop (or whatever is being "damaged) then take a record of each one you shoot (size, color, markings etc), was that the cat? If not, you have killed an animal that did you no harm whatsoever. The fact that that is accecptable to you says a lot about you.

b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Are you insane?

Personal attack, poster banned, thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement