Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Senna To ManU: a move up, across or down?

• 03-08-2006 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭

Firstly can I just specify that this is not a thread for news or speculation abuot this possible transfer.

Secondly this is not me having a go at Man Utd, it's just a question I wanted to pose to the soccer board.

As the Senna to Man U speculation increases I'm wondering what people think as regards what kind of a move this woudl be for Marcos Senna.

Basically when you read about it in the English(and sadly Irish) papers they generally give the impression that this would be something Senna would want, i.e. if he stays it's because Villareal wanted to keep him. This is standard as they tend to overrate all British teams. Now I know he handed in a transfer request but would Manchester United be a choice destination for him.

The negatives for going:
    -He's 30, regardless of how it goes this move would more then likely be his last to a big club.
    -As far as I know he doesn't speak English, he's got Spanish citizenship but is Brazillian and neither of these nationalities have a history of doing well in the premiership.
    -Villareal, despite a poor finish this year are a club on the ascent. Their direct Rivals for a CL place this year, Seville, Valencia and Celta Vigo have all lost key players while Osasuno will probably come nowhere near their achievement of last season.
    -They've a good sqaud (Rodríguez, Riquelme, Forlán, Enrique, Tacchinardi, Sorín, Josemi, Pires who will probably do well as he'll be given much more time on the ball and Nihat who's gotten a goal in every two in La Liga)
    -While I don't agree that ManU are a club in decline they're one poor season away from being just that. A bad year and he could find a new manager with new ideas and he'll be 31.
    -He's currently first choice for Spain, this will probably take a hit if he goes abroad.

The positives for going:
    -Man Utd can easily be called the biggest club in the world
    -mucho dinero $$$$$$$$$$$
    -Man Utd also have an excellent squad(I won't list them)
    -Man Utd can offer champions league football
    -Villareal can't offer Europe(maybe interbobo but not sure)

Well WHADAYA THINK?????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I think we should discuss this in the transfer thread where it has already received some coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

could someone please move it then if possible???

apologies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Can I firstly say that I'm not a Man Utd fan but of course he's taking a step up.

Villareal are a very small club with a small fan base and little history. The reason for their current success is thanks to being bankrolled by a rich owner.

United on the other hand finished second in the Premiership, are in the Champions League, are one of the biggest clubs in the world and have a respectable chance of winning the league this season.

In decline or not they're going to hanging around the top 4 for a few years yet. So, yes, it's a step up.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ballons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

gosplan wrote:
    could someone please move it then if possible???

apologies

Not taking a swipe, I just dont feel like watching this discussion in two threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's like moving from the Leeds or Chelsea a few years ago that got to the CL semi's and then had mediocre seasons to a team like Barca/Real.

Playing abroad hasn't hurt Fabregas or Garcia for Spain, or Beckham for England, its all dependent on how good the player is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Not taking a swipe, I just dont feel like watching this discussion in two threads.

ah, no worries,

I should have put it there in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

use the big 50 billion page thread for these things, hes a good crab :D

kdjac

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement