Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Please

Options
  • 03-08-2006 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I wanted some parent's ideas on this. I run martial arts classes for kids. I'd like to know a couple of things please.
    1. What would stop you from sending a child to martial arts? What concerns do you have?
    2. What would encourage you to send a child to martial arts classes?

That's pretty much it. I know I've a great class and any parent who has a child in them has sung the classes praises. I'd like some outside perspective on this as well, to make sure I'm appealing to parents and children in the right manner.

Feel free to check out the site, www.cleverlittlemonkeys.com

Thanks,
    Colm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What would stop you from sending a child to martial arts? What concerns do you have?
    Based on my own experiences of 5 years doing Shotokan in my early teens - my primary concern would be whether I trusted the instructor(s) or not. Not just with my child's physical & mental well-being, but I'd also be concerned whether or not my child was being taught in a responsible manner.

My club was started by a couple of guys who had a real sense of purpose about them in the development of the kids & gave us great insight into the disipline required & the responsibilities that came with learning the martial arts. They were also bloody good fun. Subsequently, the club was taken over by a money-grubbing dour git who couldn't have cared less what way people behaved inside or outside the dojo.
    What would encourage you to send a child to martial arts classes?
    I'd consider the mental & physical discipline that would be learned would be an asset. Also, instilling in a child the responsibility that comes with martial arts is important. For the child to have clear goals & rewards (depending on how hard they want to try) by way of gradings is also good.
    At the end of the day - the pluses are getting physical & having the craic with your mates & learning something that could save you or someone else from a beating.

Best of luck with your club.

Advertisement