Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest outside Iranian Embassy?

Options
  • 04-08-2006 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭

I attended the protest at the American Embassy against the fuelling of the brutal war in Lebanon and it came to me that we should organise a protest at the Iranian Embassy.

Iran supplies Hizballah with weapons just as America supplies Israel.

The Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran is located at 72 Mount Merrion Avenue, Blackrock, Co. Dublin.

Both sides must accede to an unconditional ceasefire. Thus our protests must target both sides here in Dublin.

Who would be interested? I must contact the anti-war movement...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

H&#250 wrote: »
    I attended the protest at the American Embassy against the fuelling of the brutal war in Lebanon and it came to me that we should organise a protest at the Iranian Embassy.

The Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran is located at 72 Mount Merrion Avenue, Blackrock, Co. Dublin.

Both sides must accede to an unconditional ceasefire. Thus our protests must target both sides here in Dublin.

do we have an Iranian embassy? Do we have any diplomatic relations with Iran?

Look, there were no (or very few) protests against unionist violence in Ireland during "the troubles" That does not mean that Irish people were not against unionist violance during "the troubles". It just means that there is no point in protesting against something that the everybody in the entire country is against, or something that we have absolutely no influence over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Akrasia wrote:
    do we have an Iranian embassy? Do we have any diplomatic relations with Iran?
    There's an Iranian embassy in Blackrock as the OP said. There's also an Irish embassy in Tehran.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Akrasia wrote:
    It just means that there is no point in protesting against something that the everybody in the entire country is against, or something that we have absolutely no influence over.

I don't understand your point
    To me it seems that the vast majority of Ireish people are against Israel in this, so by that logic no one should protest against Israel, or the US support for Israel, becuase
    there is no point in protesting against something that the everybody in the entire country is against, or something that we have absolutely no influence over

Do we have a Syraina embasssy, that would be as valid a location for a protest as the US, Israel or Iran embassy

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I don't understand your point
    To me it seems that the vast majority of Ireish people are against Israel in this, so by that logic no one should protest against Israel, or the US support for Israel,
    In ireland the protests against Israel aren't really directed at Israel, they're mainly directed at the irish and Government to influence their foreign policy towards Israel and America. If Ireland do have trade and relations with Iran, i would support protests against them as well, and i would hope that the Irish Government would sanction the Iranian government for actions in sustaining this war.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmmm someone slap up a list of Iranian and Syrian products, they should be boycotted as well as the Israeli ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

There's an Iranian embassy in Blackrock as the OP said. There's also an Irish embassy in Tehran.

Yes there is, it's on Bobby Sands St I think.

Oh no that's the British Embassy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

hurin whats your opinion on the whole UNSC nuclear resolution and Iran threatening Iran to wipe Isreal off the map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Lostexpectation that was a term that was lost in translation so to speak. As was later clarified, what was meant is that they wish to remove occupied Palestinian territory from the history books of time.

Wanting to remove the current Israeli territory from the face of the earth is something that would be seriously objectionable to all of Islam and, no doubt, the Iranian governement. The amount of times that has been clarified since Ahmedinejad's comments leaves no excuse for people to still be misrepresenting it.

If you want to protest against Iran, wouldnt a consumer boycott be more effective, like the one against Israel?
    Protesting in Blackrock (or the Israeli's embassy for that matter) isnt going to achieve anything, nobody significant will take notice. Even if you are protesting against the Irish governemnt, what can they do that the UN couldnt do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i was asking hurin, hmm do we have syrian embassy...
    or a lebanese embassy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

InFront wrote:
    Lostexpectation that was a term that was lost in translation so to speak. As was later clarified, what was meant is that they wish to remove occupied Palestinian territory from the history books of time.

Maybe they should change translation services then since Mr Ahmadinejad has been "misquoted" on several occasions as has his Lebanese puppet Nasrallah.

• Advertisement

i was asking hurin, hmm do we have syrian embassy...
    or a lebanese embassy

We don't. Lebanon and Syria are represented here by their London embassies.

Lebanon
    Embassy of Lebanon
    15-21 Palace Garden Mews
    London W8 4RA
    Tel: 004420 7229 7265
    Fax: 004420 7243 1699

Email: emb.leb@btinternet.com

Syria
    Embassy of the Syrian Arab Republic
    8 Belgrave Square
    London SW1X 8PH
    Tel: 004420 7245 9012
    Fax: 004420 7235 4612

http://foreignaffairs.gov.ie/embassies/dublin.asp?m=e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

gandalf wrote:
    Hmmm someone slap up a list of Iranian and Syrian products, they should be boycotted as well as the Israeli ones.

Hmmm carpets, dates, and oil.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Naw not buying a carpet. I hate dates (the fruit that is!).

Better ask Statoil where their petrol comes from so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Akrasia wrote:
    It just means that there is no point in protesting against something that the everybody in the entire country is against, or something that we have absolutely no influence over.
    Almost everybody in the country is against Israel's warmongering. If we can send a message of opposition to the embassies of USA and Israel here, then we should also register our opposition with Iran's.

The thought of that embassy in Blackrock sitting there without a whisper of protest against its mother country is shocking.
    Akrasia wrote:
    If Ireland do have trade and relations with Iran, i would support protests against them as well
    We do.
    InFront wrote:
    No, it was his holocaust denial that was lost. He didn't deny the Holocaust. But he did state that he agreed with a previous pronouncement by the Ayatollah, that "Israel should be wiped off the map".

He denies its right to exist.

Would the anti-war movement be interested. It always strikes me that they just object to Israeli/ American/NATO sponsored wars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Start an article on indymedia and see what happens

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Start an article on indymedia and see what happens

Mike.

They just delete the ones that don't follow the crusty agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

No, it was his holocaust denial that was lost. He didn't deny the Holocaust. But he did state that he agreed with a previous pronouncement by the Ayatollah, that "Israel should be wiped off the map".

Mottaki, Foreign Minister:[QUOTE]Nobody can remove a country from the map. This is a misunderstanding in Europe of what our president mentioned," Manouchehr Mottaki told a news conference, speaking in English, after addressing the European Parliament.

"How is it possible to remove a country from the map? He is talking about the regime. We do not recognize legally this regime," he said[/QUOTE]

Im not one to defend Ahmedinejad, but this is a poltics forum and, particularly on an issue like this, its unfair to misrepresent people. I think its obvious that he meant wiping Israel off the map in the same way that the USSR, Chekoslovakia and The United Kingdom Of Great Britain and Ireland, have been "wiped off the map". That has been well understood in the media and has been clarified since last October many times.

InFront wrote:
    Im not one to defend Ahmedinejad, but this is a poltics forum and, particularly on an issue like this, its unfair to misrepresent people. I think its obvious that he meant wiping Israel off the map in the same way that the USSR, Chekoslovakia and The United Kingdom Of Great Britain and Ireland, have been "wiped off the map". That has been well understood in the media and has been clarified since last October many times.
    Alright, so he wants to see the secular, democratic (if overly violent) government of Israel gone.

That's still pretty bad IMO.

Mick86 wrote:
    Would the anti-war movement be interested. It always strikes me that they just object to Israeli/ American/NATO sponsored wars.
    I put it on www.indymedia.ie

I am prepared to be ripped to shreds. Why do some people think that one is anti-Muslim for opposing a terrorist group? Why do some people aim to "oppose America at all costs" to the point where they mute criticism of atrocities perpetrated by America's enemies?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭New_Departure06

I think that while I am no fan of Iran or Hizbollah, that Israel deserves a military bloody nose to deter its warmongering and imperialism. So I won't attend such a protest.

I put it on www.indymedia.ie

I am prepared to be ripped to shreds. Why do some people think that one is anti-Muslim for opposing a terrorist group? Why do some people aim to "oppose America at all costs" to the point where they mute criticism of atrocities perpetrated by America's enemies?
    Tens upon top of tens of thousands have died starving in Africa often as a result of wars and theres no mass protests or grumbling.
    I'm of the firm view based on observing these things that you are not going to get many/any protests against Iran or Syria as its inconvenient to the bigger picture in the eyes of the anti war movement...

It could of course be viewed as both hypocrisy and partisanship.

As for war mongering,Israel are that,theres no doubt but I'm not so sure about the imperialist bit.Their stance on occupation has usually been for their own protection.They even appear to be moving away from that and want to outsource the occupation which is not being imperial.As someone else said its aggressive defensive behaviour which is actually not an uncommon trait in the human being.

I'd actually like to see what Israel would be like if they were let alone for ten years say.If their borders were defined and they did come to an agreement with Palestine...
    Would Iran and Syria still fund and armour the disgruntled? Probably in my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Akrasia wrote:
    Look, there were no (or very few) protests against unionist violence in Ireland during "the troubles" That does not mean that Irish people were not against unionist violance during "the troubles". It just means that there is no point in protesting against something that the everybody in the entire country is against, or something that we have absolutely no influence over.

I think you mean Loyalist violence, not Unionist!
    There is a difference you know.

InFront wrote:
    Mottaki, Foreign Minister:[QUOTE]Nobody can remove a country from the map. This is a misunderstanding in Europe of what our president mentioned," Manouchehr Mottaki told a news conference, speaking in English, after addressing the European Parliament.

"How is it possible to remove a country from the map? He is talking about the regime. We do not recognize legally this regime," he said

The issue is that Ahmedinejad stated that he wants to wipe the citizens of Israel out. The land will obviously be needed for the Palestinians to recolonise. Also he is hardly likely to erase Jerusalem from the face of the earth. The Iranians are being disingenuous about a blatantly genocidal remark which incidentally the man repeated this week in Malaysia.
    Although the main cure (to the situation) is the elimination of the Zionist regime, in this stage an immediate ceasefire should be implemented,"

You might also be interested in the following quotes from Hassan Nasrallah, Iran's man in Lebanon.
    "if the Jews all gather in Israel, it will save us the trouble of going after them worldwide"

"It is an open war until the elimination of Israel and until the death of the last Jew on earth."

"There is no solution to the conflict in this region except with the disappearance of Israel."

I think that while I am no fan of Iran or Hizbollah, that Israel deserves a military bloody nose to deter its warmongering and imperialism. So I won't attend such a protest.

Iran and Hezbollah are far greater warmongers than the Israelis. Israel obviously has no interest in building an empire by the way or it would have done so already. Lets try and have a sensible discussion and avoid the clichés. If you are genuinely anti-war you should protest against violence from both sides.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Mick86 wrote:
    The issue is that Ahmedinejad stated that he wants to wipe the citizens of Israel out.
    Source, please.
    Mick86 wrote:
    The Iranians are being disingenuous about a blatantly genocidal remark which incidentally the man repeated this week in Malaysia.
    ...and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

There's no point in protesting outside the Iranian embassy just because they arm Hezb'Allah.
    Iran themselves are not firing any missles at anybody.
    If you decide to go that route, then you must surely protest outside the US embassy as they are arming Israel.

You're not a fan of Hezbollah, you only are hoping that they achieve their military goals?

RedPlanet wrote:
    If you decide to go that route, then you must surely protest outside the US embassy as they are arming Israel.
    We did.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote:
    Source, please. ...and again.

Reuters

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/SP139983.htm
    But it was Ahmadinejad, his hardline views on Israel reinvigorated by public backing from Iran's supreme clerical leader, who animated the emergency meeting as it strove to get the Muslim world's voice heard above the diplomatic din.

"Although the main cure (to the situation) is the elimination of the Zionist regime, in this stage an immediate ceasefire should be implemented," Ahmadinejad, who previously has said Israel should be wiped off the map, told the closed door meeting.

Advertisement