Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leitrim Thread

Options
  • 04-08-2006 4:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭

No topic. Sorry. Just thought Leitrim deserves a thread. Any comments, good, bad or indifferent. Just to get the ball rolling, Carrick's coming on really well. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

ilgato, thanks for remembering we exist. Always the minority on here.

Leitrim is a beautiful county and unspoilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

whats a leitrim?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

A Leitrim is a rare breed of Irish person. Due to fact that Leitrim only has a population of just over 25,000, the Leitrim is a highly sought after by persons of the opposite sex. No doubt the scarcity has contributed to the massive, massive desirebility of the Leitrim, but other contributing factors include, looks, charm, wit, sexual prowess and scent. To get your very own Leitrim, Carrick-on-Shannon, Mohill and Drumshanbo are good starting points. But be warned. The Leitrim is notoriously picky about who he/she accepts as a mate. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im just popping in to say hello Leitrim.

I think Im right in saying that Leitrim owned a part of Donegal

yes leitrim own part of donegal

we own LETTERKENNY

• Advertisement

nanook wrote:
    yes leitrim own part of donegal

we own LETTERKENNY
    Whew, that was close. I thought you were going to say Stranorlar :D

Seriously, there is an old country estate outside of Ballybofey which was owned by a Lord Leitrim and hence my original post that Leitrim owned part of Donegal

Some day someone will thank me for that useless piece of information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Its a very proud time to be a Leitrim man or woman, the county has never been in better shape. Leitrim is a lovely place, not much happens but it is for that very reason why it is so special. Where I live in Leitrim holds special significance for many people. As John McGahern once said "our heaven was here in Aughawillan" and to be honest he wasnt wrong. Long may it continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gumboot

nanook wrote:
    ilgato, thanks for remembering we exist. Always the minority on here.

Leitrim is a beautiful county and unspoilt.

Don't know about that.....

and why preytell dear gumboot

you have to back up what you say

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Leitrim will win the All Ireland next year.

I'd suggest you all bring thick fur coats to Hell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Ballydung

Dowra deserves a mention, had a few wild nights there.

Um. Dowra is in Cavan. Or most of it anyway. Still, close enough:D
    Also, did you know that Lord Leitrim's funeral was the only one to be stoned in Dublin City. Many of his beloved Donegal and Leitrim tenants showed up to pay their respects. So to speak.
    In reply to stepbar. Leitrim's like a duck. On the surface, there's not much happening, but beneath the surface, it's paddling away furiously. Not my best analogy:)

il gatto wrote:
    Also, did you know that Lord Leitrim's funeral was the only one to be stoned in Dublin City
    I often got stoned at funerals :D

Now that you mention it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭andy1249

Mad place , mad , spent the last weekend in carrick , besides the big knife fight on the main street , there was a mad shower of drummers in the oarsman , a helluva lot of cars pulling canoes , a big line of De lorean motor cars , a lot of bewildered americans , and none of this had anything to do with the big red and white mushroom I found in the bog garden in lough key forest park .... no not a thing I tell ya.

Ah. Another quiet Leitrim weekend. You should see it when it gets busy:D

il gato, where are you based. Are you from leitrim if so, where. I am curious

some would call it nosey, i prefer curious

Leitrim is a very lovely place said the man from RTE

Every aul crock of a drumsna cock is longing to be free

All the men are in the IRA sir and the women in cumann ma mBan.:D

Love that song.

nanook wrote:
    some would call it nosey, i prefer curious
    Foreign people think we are friendly but we only want to know their business.:D

• Advertisement

I live in Sligo. Close to town. Both my parents are from Drumshanbo area. I spent every weekend up there til I was in my teens. And most summers spent a few weeks there. We had a farm so we spent most of our free time on it. I still go up nearly every weekend for a few drinks. Usually a quiet pub on a Sunday night with a few friends and relations. I've moved house a few times in Sligo so I sort of think of Drumshanbo as home and I'd like to renovate my fathers old house sometime for weekends. Might even move back full time. Depends on work and the like. Sligo is great, but I feel just at home in Leitrim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Ah good ould Christy ;) "Ballinamore" is the name of the song and it was written about the infamous kidnapping of Don Tidey many many moons ago

"No Com-ment" I believe was the general Ballinamore statement of the day to journalists. I remember it well. Fairly well anyway. Ballinamore festival is on this weekend for anyone interested. No real theme, just drinking. Goes a bit wild up there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Crave

I'm from drum too, moved to sligo for the summer, more happening!

my god two drumshambo heads here. I could abuse you lot but i wont, us drumkeerinites are better than that :).

Its amazing how many ppl from leitrim, or leitrim connections are popping up here, soon we will be giving the donegal peeps a run for the majority ethnic group.

In relation to christy and ballinamore, it was the ballad of ballinamore, and for the life of me i can not find it anywhere, there is a box set spannig over 30 years or something, but it is not on it.

Il gato, well done on the thread, good participation on this one

nanook wrote:
    Its amazing how many ppl from leitrim, or leitrim connections are popping up here, soon we will be giving the donegal peeps a run for the majority ethnic group.
    You'll be telling us next that you can predict the winning numbers in the lotto :D

muffler thougth you were going to the fleadh :P

nanook wrote:
    muffler thougth you were going to the fleadh :P
    I need to pick a quiet night in midweek when there will be a bit more elbow room or at least staggering space next the bar counter:)

nanook wrote:
    my god two drumshambo heads here. I could abuse you lot but i wont, us drumkeerinites are better than that :).

Funny. I heard the opposite:D

Crave. You sure about that. There's shag all in Sligo this summer. An Toastal, Joe Mooney Summer School, Ballinamore Festival, Carrick Water Music thing and there was a big dance music thing around Ballintra last weekend. Depends what you're into, but if I didn't work extremely unsociable hours, I'd spend my time at things like that. Less posing fashionistas:) and more craic. Maybe I'm just getting old. Or developing old man syndrom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Seems to be lots of Northern Leitrimers. One Ballinamore and I'm from Carrigallen

Advertisement