Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody working at sea?

Options
  • 04-08-2006 6:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

I recently started a new job aboard a seismic survey vessel, as a geophyisicist. Currently, I'm ploughing the briney foam off the coast of Bergen, Norway. Heading to the Indian Ocean soon, but not soon enough!

I'm experiencing some down time here on the night shift, so thought I'd see who else was afloat, if anybody!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

You can get interwheb access at sea? That'd probably be the satellite linkage you have for transmitting your collected data though eh?

Sounds like a cool job. Tell us more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Yeah, we have internet access, I'd probably go mad without it. Its a satelite link shared by everything so the net connection is pretty slow, no streaming sound or videos. Even loading the boards is a chore.

We don't transfer so much data by satellite, we record about 800gb in an hour and a half's survey line. So we transfer it on tapes back to shore by a service vessel.

The job itself is basically quality control with some data processing and occasional manual work, I mainly took it for the "travel the world" oppourtunities. Its quite a nice work enviroment, once you get over the fact your working 84 hours a week, 5 weeks straight. (followed by 5 weeks off though!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

who do you work for theCzar if you don't mind me asking? Also what is your role? I have an interview in 2 weeks for a role for the same company you might be working for. Please post back.

daveg wrote:
    who do you work for theCzar if you don't mind me asking? Also what is your role? I have an interview in 2 weeks for a role for the same company you might be working for. Please post back.

I work for a company called CGG, or more specifically Compagnie Generale de Geophisique (they're French btw, www.cgg.com). They're oil (mostly) prospectors, There are several big companys in the industry, incl. Schulmberger (who originally founded CGG then sold it off, they also own a prospecting company called Western Geco) and Halliburton (you know, the evil megalopoly).

I'm working as a geophyisicist, performing preliminary seismic processing and quality control on data recorded by the instruments (e.g. the 12, 6-8km long "streamers", which are basically strings of hydrophones).

Feel free to PM me with any Q's.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I have a cousin who's a geophysicist. I think she's based out of Norway at the moment though.

...[/random contribution]

• Advertisement

theCzar wrote:
    I work for a company called CGG, or more specifically Compagnie Generale de Geophisique (they're French btw, www.cgg.com). They're oil (mostly) prospectors, There are several big companys in the industry, incl. Schulmberger (who originally founded CGG then sold it off, they also own a prospecting company called Western Geco) and Halliburton (you know, the evil megalopoly).

I'm working as a geophyisicist, performing preliminary seismic processing and quality control on data recorded by the instruments (e.g. the 12, 6-8km long "streamers", which are basically strings of hydrophones).

Feel free to PM me with any Q's.

Hi theCzar. Thanks for the PM. The interview I have is with the Marine Institute (I thought you might be working with them). It's for a Systems Survey Technician role. I did Marine Electronics in collage some years ago. Have you any idea how time away at sea would work though? I thought with it been an Irish coastal research vessel the time away wouldn't be too bad but I read it can handle up to 45 days off shore. Maybe you wouldn't have a clue but I thought I might as well ask.

Thanks.

I can't answer for Marine Institute I'm afraid, it sounds likes its organised differently. for example, the ship I'm on has been at sea for about 5 months straight now, and has another few ahead.

Food and fuel are delivered by a service vessel, crew changes are done by helicopter... I work for 5 weeks solid :(:( (currently only 13 days left, this rotation :) ), then get 5 solid weeks off at full pay. :D:D

theCzar wrote:
    I can't answer for Marine Institute I'm afraid, it sounds likes its organised differently. for example, the ship I'm on has been at sea for about 5 months straight now, and has another few ahead.

Food and fuel are delivered by a service vessel, crew changes are done by helicopter... I work for 5 weeks solid :(:( (currently only 13 days left, this rotation :) ), then get 5 solid weeks off at full pay. :D:D

Jesus that sounds like a tough setup to live with. Not too bad if your a single chap though. What's your working setup whilst away at sea? Day to day activities etc? What hours do you work on-ship? I was told 12 hours on then 12 hours off. What do you do on your time off on ship?

Finally do you get very good compensation (wages) considering the impact to your life (being away at sea)? The wages on offer to me are probably only level with shore based jobs in industry. I would have thought there would have been lucrative deals to get people to take a life at sea (like the 5 weeks off paid etc). I'm not been cheeky asking for your salary details just wondering your job at sea vrs shore based jobs...

Thanks.

I graduated as an elec engineer from UCD, and of my friends with jobs, I earn more, but on the face of it, not so much more that you'd fall over yourself to sign up. But in addition to salary I'm fully kept for 6 months a year, food and accom, which accounts for a lot of cash were I living in Dublin. Whether I'll owe tax is uncertain, it seems not as I'll be abroad for more than half a year...

The work time is hard, there are no days off during your 35 stint, 12 hour shifts every day. But its not insurmountable, and I like the environment. this ship is the only one I've been on, but the company have 13. After shift, there's not much time to do anything, as you're usually very tired, but there's a good gym, 2 lounges (one smoking, one non-smoking) with giant TV and DVD players, but the selection of DVD's is poor at the moment.

317287848a1752839909b501270907l.jpg
    317287848a1752840025b893548575l.jpg

Thanks for the reply theCzar. It sounds interesting. I've always fancied time at sea (which is why I studied Marine Electronics), but I am now married with a child so short term stints would be the only suitable setup tbh. I'll do the interview with an open mind. I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

daveg wrote:
    Thanks for the reply theCzar. It sounds interesting. I've always fancied time at sea (which is why I studied Marine Electronics), but I am now married with a child so short term stints would be the only suitable setup tbh. I'll do the interview with an open mind. I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks again.

No probs! Best of luck, and hopefully its something that suits you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 riona

Daveg
    I worked for the cruiseline industry and some companies will allow you to have family onboard (I think Holland America does). As far as I know you can have them onboard (provided you are an officer with your own cabin- which you probably would be with your education) for 3 to 6 months. Hope this helps

Advertisement