Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israel/Lebanon/Hezbollah Crisis Thread was the "Is Israel right" thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

I think the excuse will go something like this "We're sorry, a Hezbollah position and not the UN compound was the intended target, the compound was hit due to incorrect targeting based on erroneous intelligence, some n00b had the area map upside down! LoL!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Israel wrote:
    opps we appear to have hit the wrong target again :p
    America wrote:
    ahh well, **** happens, need some more bombs ;)
    what the hell is going on, why are they killing us and noone is doing anything about it :eek:
    U.N. wrote:
    thats some bad **** going on there and we condem the Israelis to the hilt but theres not much we can do without the americans been willing to play ball :o
    To be honest it’s looking less like “mistakes” and more like a well engineered plan with each day that passes as far as I'm concerned.

One way of looking at it is that this is an over reaction and not very sound tactics but understandable considering that Hamass and Hezbollah started all this.
    If you look at the bigger geopolitical picture though, it could be argued that a more sinister and pre-engineered plan is playing out exactly as expected.

What do we know about the region……..
    The U.S. wants to attack Iran and has being trying to build international support for an attack for quite some time. Russia and china aren’t really playing ball as they have strategic interests in Iran and will more than likely block any U.N. resolution authorizing force and will make it difficult for America to form a coalition willing to attack unilaterally.

It is a well known fact that the U.S. doesn’t have much time for the U.N. and the American U.N. representative is someone who actually wants the U.N. to cease to exist. They see the U.N. as a barrier to achieving their objectives and more or less ignored the U.N. when they went into Iraq with the U.N. only approving the action after the fact and only then because not to do so would effectively mean that we had a new world order where the U.N. was obsolete. Such a situation would be very dangerous with not just America taking unilateral action but also any other country who felt like it could justifiably do it too with out the permission of the U.N.

Iran and Syria are members of the U.S. proclaimed “axis of evil”, an almost comic book like term but one that is commonly used and accepted in the reality of international politics. In other words America doesn’t like them and have hostile and aggressive relations with both countries just short of the point of a state of war. America is finding it difficult to gather enough support for another pre-emptive war, both in terms of international will and in terms of getting enough domestic support from a war weary American public. The terrorist card and the clear and present danger to American security line might not work again on an increasingly sceptical American public.

So what to do if you want to start a pre-emptive war but cant get the support to carry it out? Answer of course is not to look like you’re starting a pre-emptive war but instead are responding to provocation and acting in defence of an ally under threat.

In the lead up to the assumed focal point which triggered all this off, i.e. the capture of the Israeli soldier, we had an escalation of operations in Gaza by the Israelis. The Israeli government weeks before the kidnapping approved the necessary legislation needed to mobilise their army on a large scale. Why did they pre-plan a large mobilisation? We also had an increase in incursions into Gaza and a few really indiscriminate bombings of Palestinians. Obviously there was going to be an escalation from hamass in response to the Israeli increased activity. Rockets were lobbed into Israel and this is the point where the Israeli soldier gets captured, a legitimate target when at war, which in effect they were un-officially at the time due to the (under reported but mentioned in news briefs none the less) Israeli escalation in the previous weeks. Almost immediately after the Israeli army is mobilised and we all know the result of what happened next.

At that stage it did indeed look like a legitimate, albeit typically heavy handed and counter productive response, but a response from Israel that people could understand if not agree with.
    What happened next?
    Lebanon gets blasted in a really obvious indiscriminate way in response to increased activity by Hezbollah on the southern boarder of Lebanon. Again on the face of it, it looks like a heavy handed response by the Israelis but again you can understand it if not agree with it.

Everyone expects the bombardment to stop fairly sharply once Israel had let off some steam, but the opposite has happened and the bombardment becomes more intense and even more indiscriminate. In an almost purposefully and nearly mocking manner, the U.S. as expected refused to condemn Israel but more than that, seem to be going out of their way to frustrate any effort to bring an end to the violence. In a very public way the U.S. has made it really obvious that they have no intention of doing anything to try and end the violence and infact are sending more weapons to Israel so as they can continue the bombardment. This has the obvious effect of angering and hardening an already Arab public opinion that the West cares nothing about Middle Eastern deaths.
    The Lebanese government, knowing they are no match for Israel has begged Israel to stop and begged someone to intervene and save them but they warned that if there was a ground invasion they would have no choice but to engage the IDF in a ground war. They have so far resisted the urge to defend themselves despite their country being laid to waste, their civilians killed and some of their military targeted by the IDF (none of which were legitimate targets) but warn that as a last resort will have no option but to fight if Israeli soldiers occupy the country with a ground force.

Q an Israeli ground force massed on the boarder and reservists been called up in order to occupy south Lebanon. Other Middle East countries are now starting to get really nervous and warn that if Israel don’t withdraw and stop the killing they will be forced to intervene. Meanwhile America sits back and watches everything unfold. Despite clear warnings from other countries such as Syria, Iran and most recently Egypt that they will have no choice but to intervene if the violence and displacement of people continues the Israelis actively increase the bombardment, targeting civilians, infrastructure, the U.N. now, and making it impossible for any aid to reach those who need it. Leaflets are dropped in south Lebanon ordering civilians to go north and then bomb them anyway as they try to flee.

It is obvious to even the casual observer that the tactics been used by Israel and the U.S. are not designed to ease tensions or avoid a wider multi-national conflict. Quite the opposite in fact, it looks more likely that the tactics been used are a well engineered plan to suck Iran and Syria into a war against Israel so then the U.S. can intervene and attack Iran and Syria like they wanted to all along but couldn’t muster up enough support to do it pre-emptively.
    Only problem is can they really contain and control who the players might be. No doubt a U.S. / Israeli/ British coalition is a formidable force but what if its not just Syria and Iran who weigh in on the Lebanese side, what if other countries in the region are forced to join their Arab brothers against what they quite rightly see as slaughter by the western powers, will other western powers then be obliged begrudgingly to side with the U.S./Israeli / British coalition. I actually feel sorry for the British in all this. I’m sure many British leaders are regretting getting into bed with the Americans and are not happy about being lead up the garden path as all this plays out before our eyes.

Anyway, in a very short time from now it is not at all inconceivable that the U.N. for whatever its worth now will officially become redundant if a large scale international conflict breaks out. The logical thing to do to avoid this whole potential massive scale war would be to cease the bombardment and create a window for a strong international peace force to police the boarder in cooperation with the Lebanese state forces, training and equipping them to do the job themselves. It would be logical for America to at least be seen to look like they are trying to defuse the situation but instead they seem to be going out of their way to look like they want everything to escalate further. It would be logical of course, only if it was the intention of Israel and the U.S. to find a solution before the conflict escalates to involve other nations.

To be fair Arab leaders are being very quiet and restrained considering what is going on in Lebanon. No doubt they know what the game plan is and are hoping that the U.N. and the international community will actually do something before they are forced to intervene as once they intervene it will mean only one thing:- war with the West.
    Hopefully the above scenario won’t play out fully, even though it is at a very advanced stage, but if a full scale major multi-national war is to be avoided it will be despite U.S. and Israeli tactics and not because of them. Whether you believe this was an intentionally pre engineered plan to suck in Syria and Iran or whether that is an unfortunate side effect that wasn’t planned for, the fact is it looks more and more likely with each day that that is what’s going to happen.

Who has the power to stop it before it escalates?
    Who has the choice to avoid an all out war?
    Who is being very restrained in the face of unjustified provocation?
    Who wants to avoid a major war and who would like to see others get sucked into such a war?
    Who are the terrorists and who are the civilised people calling for deals and making offers?

apologies for the size of the post but I do enjoy a late night rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

clown bag wrote:

No apologies necessary, your post seems like a pretty accurate account of the situation so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

clown bag wrote:
    Who has the power to stop it before it escalates?
    Who has the choice to avoid an all out war?
    Who is being very restrained in the face of unjustified provocation?
    Who wants to avoid a major war and who would like to see others get sucked into such a war?
    Who are the terrorists and who are the civilised people calling for deals and making offers?

Hmm I do see your point in most of the post, we do seem to have america cheerleading from the sides but I dont think America but I dont think America has the apetite to go into Iran.
    America Naively thought that they could sweep through Iraqi using that "shock and awe", take out Sadam, the whole regmine would fall like a deck of cards, install a friendly government and then leave letting Iraqi flood them with cheap oil, the Iraqis would see America as their liberators and the oil problem would be fix for another 40 years and we will just blame it on some red herring about WMD "everybody would be a winner"
    thought Mr Bush sitting at home in his Crawford Ranch.... how wrong he was. He got a quick lesson in the middle east politics works, now suddenly he has plunged a country into civil war.
    I think if he has any sense at all he will realise that america is already very luke warm about the currnent war in Iraqi and the Idea to start a new one will not go down well.
    Plus Iran will be a much harder prospect, Its quite well armed, the army are much more commited than the Iraqi one and its terrain is not suit to the type of war america wants to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

Frederico wrote:
    But what Israel is doing is not "terrorism", it's not actually terror.. its a justified war.. so its okay.. of course if they kill UN observers, it has to be a mistake, wonder how fox will spin this one

Oh did you not hear fox have already spun it, as fox says Israel has dropped flyers so everyone has been warned so everyone is fair game in south lebanon, Really I have never seen any news channel like it, Bill O'Reilly was on giving his points of veiw about energy conservation and he said:

"We need to stop using so much oil"(wow I think Fox might be changing...)"because we are helping the terrorists by using so much"

You got to watch it for the laugh but then you think millions of people are actually beliving it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Looks like Israel should get thier money back on the smart bombs. Appears they bombed a UN outpost killing 4 UN Observers and then shelled the rescue team that went in.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5215366.stm

Kofi is saying the attack was intentional. I would of said it was accidental except for the fact they were shelling the site long before destroying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

More than 120 Palestinians and one Israeli soldier have been killed since Israel began rescue efforts.

nuttz wrote:
    Why not, they are currently occupying lands that was ethnically cleansed for them!

I get annoyed when people use the phrase ethnic cleansing in this manner. There has been no programme to wipe out the Palestinians. A resettlement programme exists.. thats it.

I know you can find intrepretations that will describe ethnic cleansing that will include the displacement of a people. I've seen it before.

But the first thought people have when you talk about ethnic cleansing is The Holocaust, Rwanda, Kosovo etc.

What is happening in Palestine is not ethnic cleansing, but displacement.

More than 120 Palestinians and one Israeli soldier have been killed since Israel began rescue efforts.

Care to prove that? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

I get annoyed when people use the phrase ethnic cleansing in this manner. There has been no programme to wipe out the Palestinians. A resettlement programme exists.. thats it.

I know you can find intrepretations that will describe ethnic cleansing that will include the displacement of a people. I've seen it before.

But the first thought people have when you talk about ethnic cleansing is The Holocaust, Rwanda, Kosovo etc.

What is happening in Palestine is not ethnic cleansing, but displacement.

what you describe above is ethnic cleansing. cleansing an area of a certain ethnic group, how can it be called anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

what you describe above is ethnic cleansing. cleansing an area of a certain ethnic group, how can it be called anything else?

I dunno, how about "an opportunity" to build a new life elsewhere?

You know, like what we see on the crapbox when these families sell their house and move to a new country.

They are almost exactly the same.

The differences are so small they are not really important.

why not use the term displacement or resettlement? Why use a phrase that gives the connotation of Mass Murder. Its hyping the event.

If I was forceably evicted from my home, I wouldn't have been ethnically cleansed. My being alive is a fairly good clue about that...

If I was forceably evicted from my home, I wouldn't have been ethnically cleansed. My being alive is a fairly good clue about that...

If just you had, then no it wouldn't be. If you and everyone arround you who shared the same ethic group where, then it would.

Ethnic cleansing is not a term just about killing people, if it where, the term would be something like ethnic murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

why not use the term displacement or resettlement? Why use a phrase that gives the connotation of Mass Murder. Its hyping the event.

ethnic cleansing
    n.
    The systematic elimination of an ethnic group or groups from a region or society, as by deportation, forced emigration, or genocide.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dict.asp?Word=ethnic+cleansing

Here is a quote I found earlier from here:

"A total of 418 people in Lebanon and 42 Israelis have been killed in a conflict that erupted after Hezbollah abducted two Israeli soldiers in a cross-border raid on 12 July."

Is that proportionate?

nuttz wrote:
    ethnic cleansing:
    n.
    The systematic elimination of an ethnic group or groups from a region or society, as by deportation, forced emigration, or genocide.

The definition is unfair and unbalanced.

If they are only "deported" or driven out by fear and misery rather than being actually slaughtered they will definitely live a happy, shiny new life in better homes.

And the Chosen People get to be "secure" in their Land in the short term.

So isn't this "displacement" really a plus for all?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The primary meaning of ethnic cleansing is forced removal of a population from a territory by a range of means from forced emigration to actual killing. It does _not_ have to include killing. I don't think it has the connotation of "mass murder," I think the word you are looking for there is "genocide."

fly_agaric wrote:
    The definition is unfair and unbalanced.

If they are only "deported" or driven out by fear and misery rather than being actually slaughtered they will definitely live a happy, shiny new life in better homes.

And the Chosen People get to be "secure" in their Land in the short term.

So isn't this "displacement" really a plus for all?

The definition is fine, it is clear and easy to understand. There are other definitions for even worse crimes.

I fail to see how its a plus for the people who are sheltering under tress etc.

I wonder just how much fear and misery it would take for you to leave your house and roots to set up home in another country in a refugee camp? Is it fair that these people are subjected to that much fear and misery?

Remember the same thing happend to the jewish people in that region many 100's of years ago. It was wrong then, it is wrong now.

I'm not denying that its (the resettlement/deportation) wrong. I'm just finding that phrase misleading.

n : the mass expulsion and killing of one ethic or religious group in an area by another ethnic or religious group in that area - dictionary.com

Its a broad term that includes genocide. There's nothing in the original comment that didn't suggest he meant a genocide, nor that he was focusing on the forced deportation/emmigration.

That is my problem with using the phrase. For me, I automatically think of a genocide when I hear ethnic Cleansing. Do you not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Hobbes wrote:
    Dropping nukes on a country to stop it building nukes. I can see how that will go down well.

What other and even normal people think doesn't bother the Hawks in the US Government at all.

They 'convinced' the US public and authorities that it was ok to use WMD against a country that 'had' WMD, which in the end has even been admitted by themselves that they hadn't had the WMD. The UK did likewise.

They (Bush, Blair governments) even convinced and won elections from their populations that they still made the right choice to attack, even if the information supplied was knowingly dodgy. These actions and the resulting getting away with it is more an indication of how poor the US and UK populations are. Unfortunately that is the case. Ireland is not doing much better as we as a people, even though something like 80% of people are in favour of not allowing the US military to use Shannon, are unable to stop that from happening. What is it about the democratic system that makes so many of us feel powerless and unrepresented !?!

Little special Nukes (wrapped up as bunker busters) against Nukes, could happen. The US and UK publics could just as easily buy into it as they did with WMD. Unless they have learned a lesson but judging by the previous election results it was in one ear and out the other, with not much slowing it down in between!

By the way, the chap on Newstalk this morning at about 08:00 spoke quite well on the Israel situation. I didnt catch his name, did anybody hear it?

Redspider

ps: some links to read:

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/myths/mf4.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1947_UN_Partition_Plan
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Arab-Israeli_War
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-Day_War

Point of interest:
    At that time (1922) the population of Palestine consisted of approximately 589,200 Muslims, 83,800 Jews, 71,500 Christians and 7,600 others (1922 census). However, this area gradually saw a large influx of Jewish immigrants (most of whom were fleeing the increasing persecution in Europe). This immigration and accompanying call for a Jewish state in Palestine drew violent opposition from local Arabs, in part because of Zionism's stated goal of a Jewish state, which would require the subjugation or the removal of the existing non-Jewish population. Theodor Herzl at one time wrote that the indigenous population could be motivated to leave if they were given jobs in other countries. Herzl also wrote about the possibility of a harmonious partnership of Jews, Arabs and Christians in which Jewish capital and expertise would transform Palestine from its third world status into an advanced society where all would benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

That is my problem with using the phrase. For me, I automatically think of a genocide when I hear ethnic Cleansing. Do you not?

Your hang-up. Not the definition's fault.

• Advertisement

The definition is fine, it is clear and easy to understand. There are other definitions for even worse crimes.

I fail to see how its a plus for the people who are sheltering under tress etc.

I wonder just how much fear and misery it would take for you to leave your house and roots to set up home in another country in a refugee camp? Is it fair that these people are subjected to that much fear and misery?

Remember the same thing happend to the jewish people in that region many 100's of years ago. It was wrong then, it is wrong now.

I was being a bit sarcastic.

I understand what klaz is saying about the term "ethnic cleansing" being tainted by association with genocide, but whatever you call being driven out from your home in fear because you are on the wrong side of a conflict between two opposed religious/ethnic groups, it is not good.

I don't. I also don't automatically just think of the Serbs when I hear about ethnic cleansing in the Balkans.

Your street would have been cleansed of your presence. I dislike the term as it's intended to label an ethnic group as dirt or a disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

So Israel was warned 6 times that they were shelling UN compounds.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1228804,00.html

The United Nations says repeated warnings were ignored before Israeli forces destroyed one of its observer posts, killing four UN personnel.

An initial UN report says its staff made 10 warning calls in total before the attack.

Sources say the top Irish officer in the UN's UNIFIL peacekeeping force complained he had called Israeli military liaison officers six times to point out that shellfire and aircraft munitions were landing dangerously close to more than one UN installation, including the one that suffered a direct hit on Tuesday night. Ireland has demanded an explanation from Israel, as has the European Union, which called the attack unacceptable.

The Israeli strike happened during a series of attacks on Hizbollah guerrilla positions near the village of Khiam.

Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert expressed his "deep sorrow" over the killings.

UN Secretary General Kofi Annan demanded Israel investigate the attack.

* United Nations Interim Force In Lebanon (UNIFIL) was created in March 1978 to confirm the withdrawal of Israeli forces from southern Lebanon.

And then they shelled the Indian troops going in to rescue the UN personnel that were hit according to Newstalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

What can be expected from a state which beleives it has a divine biblical right to exist on land which its people hadnt lived for centuries??
    Its ironic that american jews who tend to be left leaning liberal and progressive so zealously defend the actions of israel,patriotism/nationalism is truly the last refuge of the scoundrel in this case. israel will never be "safe" and have peace with its neighbours,eventually israel will pay a very heavy price for the way they have treated the palestianians/arabs for last 60 years

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

The Israeli strike happened during a series of attacks on Hizbollah guerrilla positions near the village of Khiam.
    Sources say the top Irish officer in the UN's UNIFIL peacekeeping force complained he had called Israeli military liaison officers six times to point out that shellfire and aircraft munitions were landing dangerously close to more than one UN installation, including the one that suffered a direct hit on Tuesday night.

How close were the UNIFIL and Hizbollah positions?

Also I love the use of "guerillas" to describe Hizbollah. The pro-Israeli media strikes again.

Well, if it makes you feel better Israel suffered 72 casualties in a rocket attack two days ago, and Hizbollah killed a little girl there only yesterday. So theyre trying to improve the ratio for you...

Those damned Israelis keep hiding in bunkers though. Whats their problem? Why cant they hide amongst civillian populations like the valiant Hizbollah resistance fighters?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Sand wrote:
    Well, if it makes you feel better Israel suffered 72 casualties in a rocket attack two days ago, and Hizbollah killed a little girl there only yesterday. So theyre trying to improve the ratio for you.

Currently the ratio is over 10:1. I guess it will feel more justified when the ratio evens up for you? :rolleyes:
    Those damned Israelis keep hiding in bunkers though.

If only the UN forces where as lucky.

How close where they? Should it matter? They were shelling around the UN compound FOR HOURS WHILE BEING TOLD WHAT THEY WERE DOING. The UN staff where held up in a bunker. You think if they were caring about just hitting Hizbollah that they would let the UN staff leave instead of bombing the actual bunker they were in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Just had a look at a map graphic on the location of U.N. observation posts along the boarder in South Lebanon. It looks to me that the U.N. post which appears to have been deliberately targeted and destroyed by the Israelis was the one most strategically located adjacent to the Israeli / Lebanese / Syrian boarders. Its one hell of a coincidence that this observation post was "accidentally" destroyed, as it looked like a good spot to monitor activity along the Syrian boarder.

Another little observation,
    has anyone else notice how the destruction of the U.N. post appears to be getting a much wider condemnation and much more outrage when compared with the slaughter of Lebanese civilians. Looks like the old cliche is true, Middle Eastern lives are worth a lot less than western lives in the eyes of western commentators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bookee

Didn't notice until you mentioned it, actually.. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Currently the ratio is over 10:1. I guess it will feel more justified when the ratio evens up for you?

Oh, but Im not the one pointing to ratios to try argue justification. AFAIR, Hizbollah, a faction of the Lebanese government, attacked the Israelis. Israelis have a right to live and to exist, and are defending that right. End of.

Im aware that some dont think Israelis have a right to live in Israel and that this can easily lead to believing Israelis dont have a right to live in Israel. So so maybe the Israeli right to defend the lives of their people isnt a complelling argument, and ratios are preferable.
    How close where they? Should it matter? They were shelling around the UN compound FOR HOURS WHILE BEING TOLD WHAT THEY WERE DOING. The UN staff where held up in a bunker. You think if they were caring about just hitting Hizbollah that they would let the UN staff leave instead of bombing the actual bunker they were in.

Well it matters when it comes to evaluating whether the shell that hit the bunker was targeted at the Hizbollah position or the UN one. If the Hizbollah position was 40 miles west of the UN position then it stretches credibility that it could have been a miss on the Hizbollah position. If the Hizbollah position was 400 meters west of the UN position, then its not so incredible that a miss on the Hizbollah position might hit the UN.

Ive not seen any maps/photos laying out the relationship of the two positions so its hard to jump to a conclusion - barring assumptions of course, which others are much better at.

Either way, Im not sure what status the UN holds, relative to civillians, when it comes to targeting. Does the prescence of UN staff anywhere in the nearby vicinity rule out military operations in that area? If so I can see the logic of Hizbollah building their base as close as possible to the UN position with a view to using them as human shields.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement