Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

An Garda Siochana - an example to us all

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭ShinyDiscoBall

Do you have a link to that particular piece of legislation?

yup i do now, http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/bills/2006/2806/b28d06d.pdf page 3 section 25 subsection 3.

25 (b) an act adopted by an institution of those Communities.
    3.—(1) A person shall not while driving a mechanically propelled
    vehicle in a public place hold a mobile phone.
    (2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a member of the Garda
    Siochana, an ambulance service or a fire brigade of a fire authority(within the meaning of the Fire Services Act 1981) who is acting in
    the course of his or her duties and holding a mobile phone in relation
    to the performance of his or her duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Anyone with a bit of sense would just give them hands free sets instead of enacting that legislation. I guess the legislation saves the pennies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

yup i do now, http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/bills/2006/2806/b28d06d.pdf page 3 section 25 subsection 3.

25 (b) an act adopted by an institution of those Communities.
    3.—(1) A person shall not while driving a mechanically propelled
    vehicle in a public place hold a mobile phone.
    (2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a member of the Garda
    Siochana, an ambulance service or a fire brigade of a fire authority(within the meaning of the Fire Services Act 1981) who is acting in
    the course of his or her duties and holding a mobile phone in relation
    to the performance of his or her duties.

But since the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform doesn't issue every Garda with a mobile phone, I would see it as an impossibility for a Garda to need to use a phone on duty.

ninty9er wrote:
    But since the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform doesn't issue every Garda with a mobile phone, I would see it as an impossibility for a Garda to need to use a phone on duty.

the gardai now are issued mobile phones when dey leave d station so they can put incidents onto the pulse system, they ring it in.
    before u ask the phones can only ring 2 numbers and dont txt.

the gardai now are issued mobile phones when dey leave d station so they can put incidents onto the pulse system, they ring it in.
    before u ask the phones can only ring 2 numbers and dont txt.

My dad uses a similar device, but it's not exactly a phone and it's necessary to upload the data until the end of his day and can be done by a passenger or programmed to send unhandled.

There is obviously the need for detectives to have phones, but handsfree kits would be the way forward there

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote:
    My dad uses a similar device, but it's not exactly a phone and it's necessary to upload the data until the end of his day and can be done by a passenger or programmed to send unhandled.

There is obviously the need for detectives to have phones, but handsfree kits would be the way forward there

You obviously dont understand.ITS A MOBILE PHONE nokia bla bla bla they ring a number and a person answers and they tell the person wat to put on the system!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

The reason I posted this was because I was amazed at how many rules this Garda broke in the space of two minutes (5 and ignored breaking of rules by others). I was not amazed at a Garda pulling stupid manoeuvres as it is something I see regularly. What I take from this is that maybe not all 12000 Gardai are bad drivers - but many of them are. The reason it annoys me is that I PAY these guys' salaries to, among other things, POLICE THE ROADS. If they can't be bothered to obey the rules of the road themselves I think it indicates just how disinterested they are in road safety. Surely you agree that they should have to obey the rules themselves? You seem to be arguing that they should be above criticism because they are Gardai - I don't agree. Either they play by the rules, or they don't - simple. If they don't, how can they expect the rest of us to take them seriously? My original point is that they should be role models for the rest of us to follow - driving safely would be a start.

As I mentioned in the original post, I recently reported dangerous driving to the local Garda station (taking time off work to do so), yet they couldn't be bothered getting off their lazy holes to do something about it.

I don't believe they're above the rest of us or beyond reproach. Yes, you encountered an idiot. My point is that not all of them are like that, wheras the general concensus here is that the acts of the few (I'm hoping the minority) bring them all into disrepute, including those who joined in order to make a difference to society. Several Gardai I know well take their jobs very seriously, and behave within the law themselves (these include Gardai who don't flash the badge to get into nightclubs free - a pet hate of mine). These are also the ones who get frustrated because our legal system doesn't always give them the support they need to do their job efficiently; I'm not refering to underfunding/understaffing, I'm refering to the amount of time they build a case only to see some scrote get a slap on the wrist.

As for your reporting one of them, if you had read my post and quoted it right, you would have seen that I mentioned "follow through"; in all business' (and I would regard policing as a business or profession), if you don't get a response to something you keep after it. That said, how do you know that your complaint wasn't dealt with and the Garda invoved reprimanded (although I do feel that it is unlikely that that would have happened!).

And seeing as no Garda pays tax, according to your post, I'm sorry I didn't become a member myself!

Someone mentioned seeing a squad car in a disabled space; I think the local authority should have clamped it, and then let them prove that they were responding to a call and couldn't stop elsewhere. However, this could have a knock-on effect if something happened that they had to get to quickly. As for parking on double yellows, I don't care as long as it's not unduly unsafe (ie, blocking visibility on a corner).

Then theres the "fining people for doing 51kmph in a 50kmph zone" brigade; how many people here have gotten done for 55/60 or under in a 50, or 85/90 in an 80? Actually, save your response to that for a thread I'll start in a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

FYI it is not illegal for any car to park in a car space marked for Disabled. It is in correctly assumed by many that such spaces are exclusively reserved, they are not, but what it is the case is that they depend on the general goodwill of the driving public that the spaces be respected so. It is illegal to penalise an Abled body driver for parking in such spaces.

Less whingeing and more fact finding would be better for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

It is a pain where it hurts to see so many whinge on aboput the Garda this, the Garda that. There is little clarity, few facts but mostly whingeing prejudice to slag off the Garda. Like all jobs/professions there are good ones and some not so good, there are even some corrupt ones. Fundamentally they're performing a function mostly very well and in many circumstances where most people wouldn't have the balls, intelligence or where withall to handle.

Most Garda are above average intelligence, all have LC's and increasingly degrees, a lot more than what can be said for Joe Public.

I hope the whingers never have a situation when they'll require the assistance of the Garda.

Garda stand head and shoulders above any of their international counterparts!

For once I have to agree with Sonnenblumen (OMG!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Sonnen

If by the stats in this country 25% of our population are driving on provisional licences does the same rule apply for the young very young girls I see ripping around in garda vehicles apply, do 3,000 of our garda drive on provisional licences safe in the thought that when they show their badge they can flout the rules. Like any workplace rule when are you going to shop a colleague?

Don't get me wrong I respect the job, I have the utmost respect for them and the job they have to do dealing with the **** we see everyday but please reassure me that every garda/ban garda driving a car is fully licenced and they are adhering to the same rules that apply to us as your normal "joe".

Intelligence and moreso "sense" is a gift, you can be intelligent you can also be the biggest fool in the world.

N

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

I have been stopped in the UK on a few occassions and the difference in UK police manners is staggering, frankly. No rhetorical questions, no sneering at your answers, and they call you "sir".

The Gardai could learn a thing or two.

Nialler - they can only drive official cars if they have a full license and the permission of their superintendant, IIRC. Also, if they have an accident any claims (including damage to the official car) may be made against their private motor insurance.

Overdriver - have to agree with you there. Last time I was stopped was New Years Eve, and never have I met such a condescending arse! I was stopped at a red light when they hit the blue lights behind me, I (very safely) pulled forward and left to let them pass, and the passenger got out and read me the rite act for running a red light, at the same time ignoring the 3 taxis that ripped past us through the red! Unfortunately I have NO tolerance for power trippers, and he ended up with his tail between his legs, with his partner cringing behind the steering wheel. Not a normal course of action I'd take (I do actually have respect for the Gardai and the job they attempt to do), but this guy was unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

that's all I needed to know fey when some 20 year old with attitude comes up and starts giving me grief.

I was working a pub door the other night and pulled a young looking Garda for ID (admittedly to see what his reaction would be!). Wanted to see if he'd pull the badge so I could say "there's no date of birth on there"!!!

He didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Fey! wrote:
    I was working a pub door the other night and pulled a young looking Garda for ID (admittedly to see what his reaction would be!). Wanted to see if he'd pull the badge so I could say "there's no date of birth on there"!!!

He didn't!

You are the one coming across as a power tripper here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

I hope the whingers never have a situation when they'll require the assistance of the Garda.

ive been in a few situations where i required assistance of the garda this is how ive become to have such a lack of respect to them

You obviously dont understand.ITS A MOBILE PHONE nokia bla bla bla they ring a number and a person answers and they tell the person wat to put on the system!!

If an international company can use a device while stationary and get it to send the details later on, I don't see why a state funded financial wasteland can't do the same.

A brick was thrown through my neighbour's door last week at 1 am and it took the Gardaí 35-40 mins to respond to a frightened teenager in the house with a few friends. It's a 15 minute walk from Limerick city centre so explain what's so internationally "head and shoulders" above about that. Just as well there was another neighbour about to stay in the house with him afterwards.

If it was NY a squad would have been on scene in less than 5 minutes. And I would argue that they're populatively proportionately staffed

ninty9er wrote:
    A brick was thrown through my neighbour's door last week at 1 am and it took the Gardaí 35-40 mins to respond to a frightened teenager in the house with a few friends. It's a 15 minute walk from Limerick city centre so explain what's so internationally "head and shoulders" above about that. Just as well there was another neighbour about to stay in the house with him afterwards.

If it was NY a squad would have been on scene in less than 5 minutes. And I would argue that they're populatively proportionately staffed

So what do you think they were doing that took them so long? Beating up old grannies? Collecting the pizzas for the lads in the station? Or perhaps they were somewhere where the urgency was more extreme? Its not a first come first served service.

And as for proportianially staffed. The guards in portlaoise have to use taxis to go their calls according to the papers recently. It doesn't matter how many guards there are if there is no tools for them to ply their trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

rondeco wrote:
    So what do you think they were doing that took them so long? Beating up old grannies? Collecting the pizzas for the lads in the station? Or perhaps they were somewhere where the urgency was more extreme? Its not a first come first served service.
    thats nonsence 4 star deliver for free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Fey! wrote:
    Oh my gawd, a garda being irresponsible! That means all 12,000 of them must by morons!!!

I had a mechanic work on my car who didn't do the job right; does that mean that every mechanic in the country is an incompetent chancer? Or that every builder follows after the one who did my driveway so badly?

Build a bridge and get over it.

Its when 3/5 Garda I see driving are in someway breaking the law thats most annoying

rondeco wrote:

And as for proportianially staffed. The guards in portlaoise have to use taxis to go their calls according to the papers recently. It doesn't matter how many guards there are if there is no tools for them to ply their trade.

Most Sub Garda stations in Limerick close at 6, including the one 1 minute's drive from this house. Their staff go to Henry St. which has a very well stocked carpark!!

ninty9er wrote:
    Most Sub Garda stations in Limerick close at 6, including the one 1 minute's drive from this house. Their staff go to Henry St. which has a very well stocked carpark!!

If I understand correctly, different sectors get different cars. So for example detectives get a certain number of cars. If they are finished for the day, then the uniform lads cannot use their cars and they are left there until the detectives are back on. Same with community police and traffic police.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Fey! wrote:
    I don't believe they're above the rest of us or beyond reproach. Yes, you encountered an idiot. My point is that not all of them are like that, wheras the general concensus here is that the acts of the few (I'm hoping the minority) bring them all into disrepute, including those who joined in order to make a difference to society. .
    I have no doubt that many of them are 'good eggs'. However, most Gardai that I see on the roads drive poorly - NOT a minority. I would presume that this is not deliberate but that they, like most Irish drivers, are completely ignorant of their own incompetence. My point (to which you seem completely oblivious) is that the Gardai cannot be taken seriously when it comes to road safety if they cannot drive safely themselves. My original post was simply highlighting an extreme example of poor driving.

Fey! wrote:
    As for your reporting one of them, if you had read my post and quoted it right, you would have seen that I mentioned "follow through"; in all business' (and I would regard policing as a business or profession), if you don't get a response to something you keep after it. That said, how do you know that your complaint wasn't dealt with and the Garda invoved reprimanded (although I do feel that it is unlikely that that would have happened!)..
    If you had read my post and quoted it right you would have seen that I did not report a Garda for dangerous driving, just a Joe Soap. Yes, maybe I could have got on to them again - but the point is that I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO. If someone makes a serious complaint about dangerous driving it should be treated as such - i.e. seriously (and professionally), not ignored. I know my complaint wasn't dealt with as I asked that the case be taken to court and was told I would be contacted to have a statement taken. I wasn't.
    Fey! wrote:
    And seeing as no Garda pays tax, according to your post, I'm sorry I didn't become a member myself!
    ????? I would be obliged if you could point out where I said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

ninty9er wrote:
    I would see it as an impossibility for a Garda to need to use a phone on duty.

GSM phones are probably more secure than their radio system!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

nialler wrote:
    we see everyday but please reassure me that every garda/ban garda driving a car is fully licenced and they are adhering to the same rules that apply to us as your normal "joe".

Gardai (and the Army) do their own non-DOE driving tests. Well, some of them do DOE tests themsleves but if, for example, a Garda needs to drive a motorcycle in his duties, he does a non-DOE test (I don't know where) and gets a licence for motorcycles that isn't restricted (unlike a DOE motorcycle test.)

The Army does similar for stuff like HGVs that they may need to drive except that they don;t get a Provisional licence first; it goes straight onto theur Full licence.

Tommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

the gaurds in this country dont have a clue bout road safety. 3 weks ago i was stopped for speeding on a dual carrige way at 11pm. the cop comes over and reads the riot act regarding road safety but all i see is a gobsh1te who didnt have the cop on to wear a high vis jacket even though he is standing 2foot away from a 100kpm road with an unuasally high level of trafic for that hour. so until they up their game i will continue to have no respect at all for any cop doing traffic duty.

Advertisement