Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Has the new points system....

Options
  • 04-08-2006 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

....changed the way you drive? Or to ask a similar question, has the deaths on the road make you drive that much safer?

Now I know I did a thread on this a few weeks ago, about solutions to the problems. This one is simply askingt he question of your habits.

From personal experience,Ii am very reluctant to break the speed limit now, especially in 50km zones, but this has more to do with avoiding points than anything else. On dual carriageways ill allow myself the unspoken 10% rule at times (ie you can go 10% fatser than the limit, afaik this is generally overlooked by speed wardens), but on unfamiliar roads, will not attempt going over the limit.

I wont drink even a pint before driving anymore, whereas I would maybe have 2 before. One area which I have to cop on with is next morning driving, where still over the limit, and not knowing/realising it.

Red lights, I used always break them by the 1 or 2 seconds, thinking "sure I'll be alright". Wont do so anymore, as I saw a very near miss by someone doing that a few weeks ago. One fella went throughh, while a person at the junction went early before the red went green. Millimetres in it I reckon. Also, myself and a few people flash a red light breaker with our headlights, just once, just to let them know they were seen, and perhaps they might not try it again, as if I saw it, anyone could see it, if you see what Im saying.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

This probably belongs in the motors forum, but while we are talking about it.... Is it just me or is there anyone else who doesnt know about any of the new fines? Really badly publicised. I think talking on the phone while driving is one, but I thought that was in already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

Outside of watcching the speed-limits in built up areas and not using my mobile phone whilst driving, I don't think that much about the points system.

On a side note, I have been very lucky in regards to speeding. In the last 6 months, I sped through 2 speed traps without the cops pulling me up, even though they were there wiith their guns in hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Demetrius wrote:
    On a side note, I have been very lucky in regards to speeding. In the last 6 months, I sped through 2 speed traps without the cops pulling me up, even though they were there wiith their guns in hand.

Don't you mean water pistols? Or bananas maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Yes I find myself watching my speed more and I wont go near a yellow box or try and make the lights. I love driving and would die if my license was taken from me. I also wouldn’t even have one drink now with these new random breathalyser laws.

The major thing that has changed for me is my phone. I hide it now when driving. I used to pull over but I found myself answering before I’d get a chance. Its not worth it. They can always leave a message or call back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

joejoem wrote:
    Don't you mean water pistols? Or bananas maybe?

No, I actually meant throbbing phalluses.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I always watch my speed. I've always used a hands free kit for my phone in the car but that's for safety and not just cause I may gert points. I have cut down driving in the bus lane now you can get points for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭zen63

I have slowed down to driving within the limits (well 90% of the time) since I got my first points two years ago. Its points avoidance more so than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hasn't changed my driving at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭breanoh

I have slowed down a bit, and I won't break the limit on anything but the rediculous 100kmh limit on the limerick-ennis dual carrigeway where I do about 105-110kmh. Always have used handsfree on the phone, and never have drunk and drove. Won't even drive if I have a sip. If I'm out on the beer, I don't drive until 2pm the next day, I only ever broke this personal rule once. And I always follow the 2 second rule, brake early and gradually and use my indicator. Other drivers however.......................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

What's the two second rule?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭breanoh

It was something my instructer thaught me when I was learning. Pick a fixed point a pole, wall something, and as the car in front passes it say only a fool breaks the two second rule. you should only pass the point when you have finished the sentence. If you have passed it before finishing the sentence, you are too close to the car in front of you. It is on some of the RTÉ ads for safe driving aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

when overtaking i make sure the white line is broken . thats about the only thing i do . i act the same as i always did

Advertisement