Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where does grass seed come from?

Options
  • 04-08-2006 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

?? Just thought of that last night when I was repairing my back garden which has been savaged by a puppy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Thats a good question...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Yahoo answers:

You have to let the grass grow enough to produce seeds. Grass you're probably used to seeing is being kept mowed. Look for tall grass (like 1-2 feet) this summer and you'll see the seeds developing at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Yes, Just like farmers grow oats, barley or wheat for the ears of seed.
    There are farmers or horticulturalists growing gass, letting it set seed, this is then harvested with a machine similar to a combine harvester.
    The seed is thrashed fom the grass, bagged and sold to owners of savage puppies. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Wow, that was obvious! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Well, when a mummy grass plant and a daddy grass plant love each other very much...

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Hmmph, if I thought my lawn was capable of love, I'd probably be too freaked out to cut it. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Tobi2

We have loads growing here in our meadow....(should be lawn but liking the whole meadow thing now) if you want to come and pick it:D .

Tobi2 wrote:
    We have loads growing here in our meadow....(should be lawn but liking the whole meadow thing now) if you want to come and pick it:D .

Same here... almost 1 acre of it, nearly three foot tall and the weeds are even higher:(

I'll cut it when I've finished building the house, at least I won't need to seed the lawn :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Same here... almost 1 acre of it, nearly three foot tall and the weeds are even higher:(
    I'll cut it when I've finished building the house, at least I won't need to seed the lawn :)

I really reccomend you seed your lawn with proper seed or you won't have a nice green lawn. wild seed is just that, wild, and you will have weeds too!!
    Farmers reseed their grazing and meadows as wild grass depletes the quality of the original grass seed (it cross pollinates) and the crop and feed is poor. while the farmer uses seed that grows strong and fast and good for grazing or meadows, a lawn requires different types of seed, depending on wear and tear kids and puppies, how fast it grows etc. Before you decide have a look at some different packs of grass seed available ...
    artieanna
    Jackeline of all trades

Advertisement