Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spam!!

Options
  • 04-08-2006 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

hi guys,

not sure if this is the right place but it seems as good as any...

does anyone know the legalities surrounding spam emails? are there any laws/ legislation in ireland preventing spam? im asking because im receiving (from within ireland) and not sending. And just to check, targeted email campaigns have to have the consent of the receiver?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

7aken wrote:
    does anyone know the legalities surrounding spam emails? are there any laws/ legislation in ireland preventing spam?
    There is legislation, but it's not as strong as it could be
    7aken wrote:
    im asking because im receiving (from within ireland) and not sending. And just to check, targeted email campaigns have to have the consent of the receiver?

The main problem is whether the email is being sent to a personal email account or a business one.

If an Irish company wants they may send information unsolicited to a business email address BUT they must stop if you ask them to.

They do not have the right to do this to a personal email address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭7aken

blacknight wrote:
    There is legislation, but it's not as strong as it could be

what is the legislation? where can i find info about it?

blacknight wrote:
    If an Irish company wants they may send information unsolicited to a business email address BUT they must stop if you ask them to.

do you think there are any issues as to how they obtained the email address? ie, im being spammed (my business account) by a local company. from viewing the source and who else they are sending it to, i can see they are spamming other local companies.... i know of only one website where all of these companies would be listed, so it is possible that the owners of this website are selling the addresses... what are the ramifications of this kind of activity?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You can find out about the legislation on http://www.dataprivacy.ie

Advertisement