Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First PDA...

• 04-08-2006 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hey all,

Im fairly new to the world of PDA's, Im looking for something that I can read text files and eBooks on. Anyone got any advise on a starter PDA?

Thanks

~ Idgeitman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Idgeitman wrote:
    Hey all,

Im fairly new to the world of PDA's, Im looking for something that I can read text files and eBooks on. Anyone got any advise on a starter PDA?

Thanks

~ Idgeitman

hi.
    i use isilo for reading medical ebooks mainly but you can also read a lot of other stuff (mainly reference works) on this. you can get a lot of reference stuff on www.memoware.com.

you should be able to find a few free ebook readers at www.freewareppc.com or www.freecabs.de (cab files only here so they install straight from the pda).

otherwise, for commercial readers you could check out www.handango.com or www.pocketgear.com. you can usually demo them before you buy from these sites as well.

you could also try µbook reader. i've never really used it myself but it seems to be good for novels and stuff (afair).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

My first PDA was an Ipaq h1910 which did exactly what you want it to but isn't commercially available anymore as far as I'm aware, unless you ebay it - http://cgi.ebay.ie/HP-iPAQ-Pocket-PC-h1940-excellent-condition_W0QQitemZ180012928003QQihZ008QQcategoryZ38331QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem . I recently upped it to a h2210 and I'm enjoying the wireless internet/bluetooth aspects of it, so consider something like this? http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=314077 (doesn't have bluetooth, but has integrated wifi card). I'll definitely stick with the HPs. They seem to be a bit more expensive, but having played with my sister's dell, I like the HP design better.

HTH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Idgeitman wrote:
    Hey all,

Thanks

~ Idgeitman

sorry.
    i misread your post.
    i thought you were looking for software.

i agree with Quackles. any low-end ipaq like the hp 19** series would be more than capable of doing the job.

otoh, dell's axims are usually a good inexpensive option but not as nice design-wise as the ipaqs.

generally though any windows mobile/pocketpc pda can easily do what you require.
    hth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Idgeitman

thanks for all the reply's,

~ Idgeitman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Have you made a choice? I've been using two devices this hp 6915 and a nokia E61 which I'm posting this on. The 6915 is an excellent all in one device i.e. GPS wifi phone and windows mobile however I prefer the nokia its a nicer all in one solution i.e. It's phone features are much better and you can read word docs excel sheets and others it's also very cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

ive dell axim x50v,,,the business

• Registered Users Posts: 44 aerocell

Hey, I have a better option that I think you would prefer, I use Linux on my IPOD, now I know that is rite up your street! (although you did get a knew PDA for xmas!) willl show you how its done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Pickup a 2nd hand one cheap and see if you use it. I have an old Palm E2 which I got off the boards and it works well for me. But I really only use it for todo lists and planning things. I've used lots of different PDA's over the years, Windows mobile, Palm, Psion etc. My main bugbear with the various PDA's I've had, if that text input is slow, and they are usually bulky and its another thing to carry. The Palm E2 is very slim though.

Advertisement