Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Piping Sky box 2nd RF output...

• 04-08-2006 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I want to use the second RF output on my SKY box to watch TV in another room. I have a number of questions.

1. What kind of cable should I use? Standard co-ax?
    2. I'll be running it up through the attic and back down into the other room... am I going to need an amplifier?

Thanks folks,

Di11on

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

short and sweet

yes, has to be co-ax
    no, I have similar long run and no amplifer, however if you buy a splitter you can feed two rooms instead of one
    don't forget to get another remote when you're getting a "magic-eye"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

di11on wrote:
    Hi folks,

I want to use the second RF output on my SKY box to watch TV in another room. I have a number of questions.

1. What kind of cable should I use? Standard co-ax?
    2. I'll be running it up through the attic and back down into the other room... am I going to need an amplifier?

Thanks folks,

Di11on

RG6 tp be precise

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yup, a minimum spec of cable I'd recommend would be RG6. Even better would be CT100 (copper braid, copper foil).

Avoid the cheapo cable that's usually brown and only has a bit of braid and no foil. It's very lossy cable and should only be used as emergency rope or clothes line or something. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Thanks guys, that's exactly the info I was looking for!

Where would I get RG6 tp or CT100... Tony O'Reilly's?

Also, what connectors should I use, the standard co-ax ones?

Thanks again,

Jody

byte

You should get at least RG6 in most electrical shops, even some hardware stores should sell it.

For the connection on the back of the Skybox, you'll need a female coaxial connector (Belling Lee). The back of the TV will use a standard male coaxial connector.

In the event that a female connector is hard to get, just get another male connector, and a male-male coupler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Thanks guys...

Maybe a little information is a dangerous thing, but looking at co-ax connectors, there seem to be a million types.

First of all, there's the impedence of the connector. Some co-ax connectors are available in 50Ohm and 75Ohm variants. What do I need to match this impedence to? The impedence of the cable I'm using?

Secondly there is the connector type... some require use of crimping tools that seem expensive. What's the best type of connection method if you don't have a crimping too... I don't mind soldering.

Thanks again,

Di11on

byte

Firstly TV stuff is 75 Ohms.

For coaxial TV connectors, just get the screw on ones. You'll not need a crimping tool for the sake of a few plugs!

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

If you're house is pre-wired from let's say NTL, then you can pipe the 2nd RF output signal back into the nearest NTL wall-point and basically broadcast to all existing points in the house. Obviously only still able to watch same channel.

Saved me doing ANY re-wiring. If this is your case then let me know and I can tell you the few simple changes you'll have to make.

Advertisement