Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nautical Star

Options
  • 04-08-2006 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Just wondering what people's first impression is when they see a 'nautical star' tattoo?

I'm thinking of getting one - I've always loved the simplicity of it, but I'm not sure because of the different meanings which seem to be applied to it. After researching it a bit, it seems to reflect (not in any particular order) everything from: a love of the sea; military background; punk music; gay/lesbian; and a million other things...

I'm not particularly worried about what people think of my tattoos, in general, but the background to this design interests me alot. Anybody any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

my first impression is usually 'jaysus not another nautical star' usually followed immediately by 'bloody emo kids' (i dunno why but i only seem to see nautical stars on a very narrowly defined subset of the population. except for a couple of my friends who have them who are cool :cool:). they do look nice.. i wouldn't go there personally, but you know yourself, you wouldn't be getting tattoos because of what anyone else thought or didn't think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Personally my view on them is that theyre quite popular at the moment. Sort of a "fad" tattoo, like the kanji writing. However, in saying that I still like them lots like jelly tots cos of the simplicity. But ive seen plenty sh!tty star tattoo's.
    Wouldnt worry about the meaning of em, they mean different things to different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

rain on wrote:
    my first impression is usually 'jaysus not another nautical star' usually followed immediately by 'bloody emo kids' (i dunno why but i only seem to see nautical stars on a very narrowly defined subset of the population)

Mine too especially when done with just one star

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

otoh they can look very good when done well, my friend has two that are deadly. regardez:

colour11.jpg

he has a matching one in different colours on the other arm but i can't find a pic. they're good though. he's had them for years buh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭obrien_pa

..they are popular at the moment, but part of the reason for that is they look so gooood!! (nice pic 'Rain On', by the way!)

It does my head in when I see loads of people wearing the same tattoo, but I suppose I'll just have to get used to that, 'cos they're becoming more and more popular all the time.

Anyway, cheers for the replies..'tis interesting to hear what people think about 'em. I think I'll probably go ahead and get one nautical star tat- see how it looks and work from there!.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 toddmiles

Not sure if you're looking for more inspirado, but last month I threw down $20 for this collection of 1st place tats, which gave me a ton of ideas... they can only sell so many of them.. some copyright thing, and i'm not sure if they are still selling but it was at www.tatfactory.org

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I think they're cool looking. Even contemplating getting a piece incorporating one.

One of the coolest Nautical Stars I've seen is one done by Mac in Colourworks. Its a blacka and white star with silhouetted stars in the black. It's quality

Advertisement