Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Sky sports - is the picture on sky digital seconds behind ntl analogue?

• 04-08-2006 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

does anyone know if sky sports on ntl cable (analogue) is the closest to live?

i suspect sky digital and ntl digital are perhaps 2-3 seconds delayed compared to the analogue signal

does anyone know anything about this?

reason i ask is i like to listen to radion commentary during matches, and as radio is always practically perfectly live (no delay) it can be annoying watching a delayed picture on the TV if the radio commentator is 3 seconds ahead

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Yup they are , i have a tv in kitchen with ntl and main room has Sky.

It happens on all channels not just SS, even RTE.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Superhands

i noticed RTE on NTL analogue was behind RTE on sky digital during the world cup

would go from one room to another and hear the same couple of sentences of commentary again

wasn't sure if sky sports was the same though - you definitley think SS on ntl analogue is ahead of SS on sky digital?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Superhands wrote:
    ...you definitley think SS on ntl analogue is ahead of SS on sky digital?

Yep, in my experience all the channels on Sky are behind their analogue equivalents, although I'm not sure about during the World Cup as I never used analogue (no widescreen) so it could very well have been different...

The lag for the signal to come from a geostationary satellite would be on the order of a second or so, and I'm sure there's other things like MPEG2 compression etc that requires a few seconds of video to be buffered too...

Advertisement