Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the ultimate sandwich?

• 04-08-2006 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Archeron

I think some mayonaisse company has a competition out there for the ultimate sandwhich (which must of course include their brand of Mayo). So without being slaves to branding, what do you think makes the tastiest sambo?

Me, I'm a purist. Two big white doorstops, think butter, ham and english mustard. Simple, to the point and fulfilling. (and cheap when you buy it in a deli:) )

Whats your suggestions?

Comments

I'm not too fussy about the bread. but it has to have olive oil spread on it, not butter.
    Parma Ham, Pecorino Cheese and Sundried Tomatoes..

delish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I saw this on a forum somewhere:
    Brown bread with peanut butter and mild Indian lime pickle.
    It sounds like the aftermath of a shopping trolley collision but it's pretty good. Think of it as a tastier peanut butter & jelly sandwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Brown bread, crunchy peanut butter and sambal oelek (hot chilli sauce, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambal_oelek) is my favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Where do you buy sambal oelek, or do you make it yourself? It sounds like it might be difficult to track down.

Indeed, crunchy peanut butter is a must when making weird spicy peanut butter fusion sandwiches.:)

Where do you buy sambal oelek, or do you make it yourself? It sounds like it might be difficult to track down.

Indeed, crunchy peanut butter is a must when making weird spicy peanut butter fusion sandwiches.:)
    Asian Food Co. on Mary Street have it sometimes tucked out in the back somewhere, otherwise try some of the other Asian shops around. It's an Indonesian thing, but is also very popular in Holland. In fact most of the sambal's you can get here are actually made in Holland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

hangover sandwich: tuna & coleslaw baguette
    alternatively a baguette with brie, sliced chicken breast, cranberry and salad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

Archeron wrote:
    I think some mayonaisse company has a competition out there for the ultimate sandwhich (which must of course include their brand of Mayo). So without being slaves to branding, what do you think makes the tastiest sambo?

Me, I'm a purist. Two big white doorstops, think butter, ham and english mustard. Simple, to the point and fulfilling. (and cheap when you buy it in a deli:) )

Whats your suggestions?

I had this for my lunch the other day - so much mustard that the tears were running down my face & I was sniffing like Kate Moss :D ... and it was only €1.70!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Fresh bread, butter laid on nice and thick, a few bananas sliced up and Taytos cheese and onion on top.... mmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bacon with thick melted cheese and some onion sliced into the goo.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Pumpernickle bread, butter/mayo, smoke cured ham (parma or German ham), tomato, cheese (I use Edam or other light cheese), top off with a hot fried egg, salt and pepper.

Wonderful....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

It sounds like the aftermath of a shopping trolley collision

Lmfao

2 slices of fresh, thick white bread. Pan fried sausages cut in half layed carefully on the bottom slice of bread. 2 slices of bacon laid on top. a large drizzle of HP (MUST BE HP) brown sauce. Washed down with a cup of coffee.

If you are not drooling you are not human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Superquinn v soft bap (white) buttered, parma ham, home made pesto, parmesan shavings & vine tomato.

Arrgggh.

K-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That's the Helmens ad isn't it. "Everyone loves Helmens" bleurgh. I can't stand mayonnaise, it turns my stomach. If you ever go to England the one thing I hate about the place is it's impossible to get a sandwich without mayonnaise on it, unless it's made to order.

As for the perfect sandwich, I'd go for a baguette with butter (real butter mind you, none of that spreadable crap) chicken sweetcorn and cheddar cheese. Usually I use some sort of flavoured chicken, Thai, tikka, etc. Nice to melt the cheese into it under the grill for a minute too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 scotusone

take one small ciabatta and heat in the oven .

split and fill with nice brie , like brie de meaux , and return to the oven for 30 seconds , just to warm not melt the cheese .

then open and add parma ham and wild rockett.

its yummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Nothing too wacky here, toasted sandwich with red cheddar, chicken pieces and sweetcorn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭SteamTrean

A brown crusty roll with , egg-mayonaisse, cheese, onion and sliced turkey. YUM! Haven't had one of those in a while but it's damn tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

A roll with sliced hot chicken breast,lettuce and mayonaisse. Plain but delicious and definately my favourite.

That said, there are some close runners up:
    Brown bread,chicken and stuffing.
    Roll with ham, cheese and coleslaw.
    Toasted ham and cheese, or either by themselves.

Nothing too fancy but always guaranteed to be nice, except if bought in Spar in Ranelagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Winnie001

Gotta be the 'ol saussie sandwich. Bread, brown sauce & sausages! Nicest thing in the whole world.
    Also Crisp sandwich - king crisps, v fresh white bread & butter.

mmmm getting hungry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,605 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

A freshly cooked (and still hot) chicken breast, sliced, placed between two pieces of white bread, with a little spread and a light sprinkling of salt

Or more oddly (and one I recommend trying, especially when stoned): a peanut butter and tayto sandwich. Sounds like it could be potentially dry, but its delicious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

My fave wierd sambo

Crunch Peanut butter and Tuna mmmmmm

Normal Sambo from the Garage opposite work -

Granary Bap, hot chicken fillet, mayo, swiss cheese and red onion lovely when the fillet is still hot enough to melt the cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭liam1204

turkey and stuffing is tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

One to try - strange but nice:

Homemade brown bread, honey, and a strong cheese (I've used mature cheddar and pecorino).

Actually cheese plus anything sweet is nice ... try cheese and marmalade :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Brown bread, marmite, mayonnaise, tomatoes and pepper.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The Ultimate BLT club sandwich:

Put two crispy rashers on a slice of buttered wholemeal toast. Add a few slices of brie cheese. Add another slice of toast, with butter and mayonnaise. Apply lettuce, thinly sliced tomato and some chopped spring onions. Grind some black pepper over the tomato. Top it off with another slice of buttered toast.

Mmmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Aidan78

For me the ultimate sandwich has to be one of three:

The good old reliable ham, cheese and coleslaw with Ballymaloe relish

Ham, corned beef, sliced tomatoes and spring onion on white bread with a large dollop of mayonnaise and lots of salt and pepper, or

The Meatball Marinara from Subway with cheese and all the salad (except the olives - yuck) on Hearty Italian bread.

Yum, makes my mouth water just thinking about it. :D Going to get the latter after work. Can't wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

My ultimate sambo is a nicely warmend fresh ciabatta smothered in pesto sauce with sundried tomatoes, rashers and melted mozzerallo... mmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭last_orders

wholemeal bread, sliced chicken guigons (cant spell that), mayo insted of butter, lettuce, gerkin and onion, fantastic stuff people. im tellin ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I think the ultimate sandwich is a rheotorical thing.

It would have to satisfy the mood of the eater at any particular time, and therefore could not have just one particular group of fillings.

Advertisement