Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart broadband - experiences?

• 04-08-2006 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Am thinking about signing up for broadband with Smart telecom, but was wondering if any current users could let me know their experiences with them.

How reliable is the service? Is the speed generally as stated, or is it frequently a lot lower? Do you ever have problems connecting (is it a regular occurence)?

I'm not a particularly heavy user - I don't frequently download large files, don't play online games, etc.

I have the ntl 3 meg package at the moment. Aside from some connection problems recently, I'm pretty happy with the service. The reason I'm thinking of changing is because I had the TV service free for a year, but now I'm having to pay 20 euro per month for something I rarely use (I have UK FTV satellite) and could easily live without. On top of the 30 for the broadband, I'm paying 50 euro a month versus 35 for the similar Smart service.

I don't have an active phoneline at the moment, having cancelled my eircom line when I got the ntl service installed. Will Smart be able to sign me up direct, or will I have to go through eircom first? I had a broadband trial with UTV a couple of years ago, and my line test was always a pass, so my line should be capable for it (barring problems with eircom).

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I'm still waiting for my order to be completed nearly 4 months later.

Alledgedly i should have my modem next week. I'm holding my breath, i really am.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hi,
    It took me months to get set up with smart but once I got setup the service was reat and the tech support really good to. I think it is jsut CS that is poor.
    The way to get setup is to find out what exchange you are on and check if smart are live there.
    If they are not already setup i wouldnt bother. If they are get your line reconnected by eircom and then ring up smart and they send you the forms and they get eircom to switch your line over and change your number. The process takes awhile but the product is very good for 35Eur pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Seems to depend where you are.

I sgined up at both my old and new address, and both times had my modem and was connected within a week. (Old address was Crown Alley exchange, new one is Coolock).

Also, if you don't already have broadband on the line apparently it helps a lot.
    you'll need to get Eircom to connect you first, then contact Smart with your Eircom account number.

I was on their 2 meg package, automatically upgraded to 3 after Christmas. Anytime I check the speed it always comes up as 2.8 - 2.9, so it's pretty reliable.

I think I've only once been unable to connect, and it was fixed the next morning.

I use it for games quite a lot, occassionally download large files, and have been very happy with the speed.

The technical support on their forums is pretty good (support.smarttelecom.ie), although their general customer support is hit and miss. They managed to lose my direct debit forms twice. Then after them mailing me telling me they had no direct debit form and my account was two months overdue, I paid immediately by credit card - then found that day they'd taken the money out by direct debit. They obviously found the forms.

But the refunded my credit card within four or five days, which is pretty good compared to the horror stories you hear about BT.

Overall, the broadband is fast and reliable, though unless you're in a well established exchabge you might have delays getting connected.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

MOH sums up the situation pretty well I think. The BB is excellent once you get it. It can be the journey thats the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 poppygirl

I would highly recomend smart broadband and am sick I can't get it myself, no live exchange yet in my part of the country, but I have used it and know all about it.
    The main reason it is sooo good is that Smart are the only company offering a guaranteed 3mg speed! All other providers offer UP TO 3mg, reason for this is Smart have a 1:1 contention ratio because they are going to the trouble of unbundeling the lines, everyone else is piggy backing on eircom lines and and so your looking at contention ratios of possibly 1:48. All very complecated I know :confused: To me its the 1:1 that makes it an excellent BB, along with its unlimited use and download capability, no hidden costs.
    Theres always a price though, right, and with Smart, MOH hit the nail on the head, customer services are pretty brutal, but hea, once your prepared for that it takes the sting out of it. Trick is to ring on a regular basis and pester them but be nice, most of the time it is eircom who are delaying the process in a bid to wreck heads, in the hope that they will sign to them insted.

Hope that helped!:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

Sort and sweet.

Seems to be a bitch for some to get, might be down to eircom, might not. I had no problem.

Speed is generally as advertised, but remember that would really depend on your exchange, I'm on summerhill. I get about 250kb/s - 280kb/s on the 3.5mb service

Generally stay connected for months at a time without a line drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

My local exchange is ok for Smart BB connection, can anyone tell me will Smart insist on changing my Eircom telephone number or can I just carry on with my present number.

Regards

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Eircom insisted on me changing my number, not Smart.

Perhaps things have changed.

Eircom delayed my transfer for eight weeks, but I'm still glad I went to Smart. Rock-solid connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If you can get Smart, then you should definitely go for it!

Once I'd a few teething problems sorted, the service has been rock solid for myself - the modem's been on for about 30 odd days straight now, without any drop. I always get the 3Mb (or extremely close to it anyway, give or take .2Mb).

Only thing to be wary of is the phone up customer support, as MOH mentions - they're not exactly the best at dealing with issues and seem to just give everyone the same scripted "unplug everything and plug it all back in again" response whenever you have a fault. When I was first signing up, they lost my direct debit forms on four different occasions, and mucked up the transfer form, mixing up my account number and phone number, wasting about 2 months before I actually got connected. That said, the tech support guys on the forums are great at dealing with complaints and speeding up fault fixing a good bit. I've no regrets about switching though, and their new Talk & Broadband package looks very tempting to go for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

stanley1 wrote:
    My local exchange is ok for Smart BB connection, can anyone tell me will Smart insist on changing my Eircom telephone number or can I just carry on with my present number.
    According to eircom it's not YOUR number at all, it's eircoms number, and they don't want to let you keep it if you move to Smart.

They've been forced to put a procedure in place to allow you to move your number, because even the blind, febble and crippled crowd that passes for a Communications Regulator in this country couldn't be convinced that this wasn't a blatant abuse by eircom, but it's still a far more complex and complicated (and therefore costly) process than it needs to be.

Believe you me, Smart would be more than happy to let you keep your number. It is probably the single biggest barrier that they have to deal with in getting new customers on the exchanges that they have already enabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Reccomendation for Smart here too. Just changed to them about 3 weeks ago. On the 45 Euro a month package which includes my rental, local, national calls and 3mb broadband which seems solid at 2.95m every day. Took two weeks from ordering to it being active, all good.

Pete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

I switched from IBB to Smart almost over a year ago to the day. There is no comparison, get Smart if it's available to you.

Advertisement