Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To study or not to study

Options
  • 04-08-2006 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

I've always had an amateur interest in Psychology, and I'd like to think I have something of a natural talent for the theory and application. However, when I did my leaving cert doing Psychology wasn't much of an option: my lazy but relatively respectable 420 LC points aren't in the right league at all.

Long story short I'm going into third year in Audio Visual Media in ITT which I absolutely love, but my thoughts are already going to the future. I'm just wondering if there's any way I could move from my current course into some sort of Psychology course after third year or fourth year. Classes that seem to relate include: Media Politics (elements of sociology), Media Studies/Semiotics (study of signs/methods of communication), Mass Communications, Marketing, Film Studies and Cultural Studies (Full Course List). I'm just wondering if there is any way I can spin it to lead into Psychology of some sort. Maybe a masters of some sort or maybe just a diploma course, I really don't know, I'm kinda lost on how all the courses and colleges link up.

So if anyone more wise than I has ideas, please help/share :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Hi Zillah,

I don’t know that I have any useful advice for you and I'm certainly not wiser but I think your idea is interesting and well worth pursuing. Too many people (myself included) drift into psychology degrees from school without much consideration of where it will take them. It took a further 4 years, some wandering and an MA before I found my niche. A quick google (which I’m sure you’ve already done) threw a BA in Psychology and Media in the University of Glamorgan though that’s probably no good to you. The OU might also be worth looking into. Another thing you could do is trawl through the staff biographies of the various psychology departments to find someone who has the same interests as you. They would be worth contacting for advice on what direction to take. There may even be opportunities for doing an MA by research.

Sorry I’m not much help… I’ve been out of the psych field a bit too long to know what courses are available but good luck with it!

p

Advertisement