Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Primary School

Options
  • 04-08-2006 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I have a 4 and a half year old son who is surposed to be starting school this september but we have no school for him. One particular school I wanted him to go to i've had his name down since he was 6 months old!!! I rang this school around christmas and they said he would be fine etc etc.

I rang the school again in May as I was getting a bit worried I had not received a letter saying he had got in. I was told he was not in the Catchment area and that he would be on a waiting list. :mad:

In another school around us I had his name down and we were told they were full!!:mad:

Now its about 5 weeks before kids start school and I have no school for him. I have no Idea what to do. Maby someone hear could help. Otherwise social will be after me asking why im not educating my child!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

A lot of kids don't go to school until they are 5,nearly 6 sometimes so no one will be asking questions.

Ring the school that you had his name down in and ask them have they got any suggestions as to what you should do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Legally you do not have to send your child to school until the year they turn 6.
    Did you ask to see the enrolment policy of the school you had inteded to send him to - the school MUST provide you with a written copy. If you are in the catchment area for the school and cannot see any other reason for your child not being accepted - you can get in contact with the department of education and appeal the grouds on which he was refused a place - this is called a section 29 appeal - you can llok it up on the education website www.education.ie.

In the other school - your second choice school - you've been told they are full up - ask them what way they allocated the places in the school - waqs it done on age, when applied for or some other criteria - again there maybe a chance for appeal.

good luck
    AD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

What area are you in, Vodka?

If your child was down for the school from the age of six months, and you were assured of a place, I'd write a letter to the principal explaining this and asking for a place.

If you don't get a satisfactory reply, maybe you could contact the Department of Education?

Is there a Gaelscoil near you, by any lucky chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Are you goin for schools more on the private side, or any school really?

I think public schools are way better than private ones

Ive noticed kids from private schools these days are really snobby and stuckup, and not much smarter than public school kids

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

abetarrush wrote:
    Are you goin for schools more on the private side, or any school really?

I think public schools are way better than private ones

Ive noticed kids from private schools these days are really snobby and stuckup, and not much smarter than public school kids
    I would expect that depend on the school. My kids go to a private school but they are not stuck. The other kids in the school are the same. I am sure there are some that are stuck up but then I expect you will find kids that are stuck up even in public schools.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 lazydaze

Try making an appointment with the principal stating what is in relation to and not be fobbed off with a phone conversation. (They hate upset parents face to face in their office). Put it in writing first off, and then follow up with a call a few days later. Most principals are usually pop in at least once a week or so during the hols, so will check mail and messages.
    If you really want him to go to school this year put the onus back on the school, as they confirmed a place for the little man.
    Most schools prefer to have a cut off point in class sizes, but there is always leeway. They will try and fob you off with class sizes and he will be first on the list for next year.
    Sit down and assess if he would benefit maybe with a Montessori or playschool environment for socalising and pen/drawing skills. I work with the little people and find that some of the younger ones have a hard time settling in, especially the some of the younger boys, so next year at 5 1/2 he may fly through and enjoy the year. You’re his parent you know the little man best, so at the end of the day go with your gut. Good luck on whatever you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

In D.15 it seems because of the lack of space the cut off age for rollment is getting older and older. Older kids often do better than younger kids in the same class. So I'm told by parents of older kids than mine.

Advertisement