Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kinsale Road flyover

Options
  • 04-08-2006 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭

Saw an email at work that the Kinsale Road flyover is open since noon! Great if it is but I never heard today was the day :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I was surprised when I saw cars on it around lunchtime and I'd hadn't heard anything about it. You'd have thought they would have some sort of big public announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

The mayor of cork city and the mayor of cork county were in the first car to drive over it. A hearty pat on the back for anyone who can name either.

Of course hundreds of construction workers don't count and it couldn't have been opened for rush hour this morning......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yipeeeeeeeee! thousands of happy motorists can fly eastwards to sit in a tailback at the tunnel! :D

Mike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I just drove over it a while ago, and twas great! (Apart from the 60kph speed limit :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

True it sounded like madness there in the afternoon though.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Ah nice one.

I was in Dunkettle 'til around five, so missed out, (was heading East thereafter).

Saw it on Thursday and it looked pretty much all there.

The bandwagon thing, excluding the guys on the ground, regarding politicos and high ranking officials is damn annoying alright. I have yet to see, say a free bar somewhere for the workers involved, for even a couple of hours, which wouldn't cost a whole lot, but would involve a goodwill investment by the primary contractor (and I'm fairly close to the coalface on a lot of these projects) or even a mention by the likes of that inept idiot Cullen, or Seamus Brennan before him.

But there you go.

Nope it was real, I was meeting a chap in Glanmire on Friday afternoon he was coming from the south and so used the ring road, he reckoned there was a tailback that was miles long going east into the tunnel (I belive there was a crash somewhere as well as the tunnel works).

I agree with the general AA point they are often either wrong or behind the curve.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

I decided to test it out heading home the other night from the Togher direction so joined the road on the on-ramp next to Togher Garda station only to find the damned on-ramp gets shoed into the old road that meets the roundabout. No fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Faith wrote:
    I just drove over it a while ago, and twas great! (Apart from the 60kph speed limit :( )
    Whoops!
    We were talking about this the other day, isnt the flyover only goin to shift some of the problem (East to West) down to Sarsfield roundabout and Bandon roundabout?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

in theory they should be starting work on the sarsfield flyover as soona snt eh kinsale rd one is done, and after that the bandon road one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Tree wrote:
    in theory they should be starting work on the sarsfield flyover as soona snt eh kinsale rd one is done, and after that the bandon road one.
    Didn't they lose funding for those?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

offhand i dunno, prolly but they seem to have done a lot of preparatory work for them in recent months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

They have done a bit AFAIK. Surveying and all that. I heard somewhere on Boards though, that Cullen, peace be upon him, had in his infinite wisdom withheld the funding...

Possibly timing the go ahead for the impending election, or perhaps the poster was misinformed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fool 5000

The Fermoy should be opened around October .I drove by there the other day and everything is done apart from the road lines .They have the signs up already so its nice to the first blue motorway signs in Cork .

Did anyone hear about the increase in speed limit for the Watergrasshill bypass to 120km once the Fermoy one is finished ?

they;re completely resurfacing the roundabout, in the day time, its madness (and seems to be happening surprisingly quickly) it was nice to drive on shiney new tar though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Fool 5000 wrote:
    The Fermoy should be opened around October .I drove by there the other day and everything is done apart from the road lines .They have the signs up already so its nice to the first blue motorway signs in Cork .

Did anyone hear about the increase in speed limit for the Watergrasshill bypass to 120km once the Fermoy one is finished ?

Oh yeah, the Fermoy bypass will be the first motorway in Cork. LOL! at least your starting to catch up:p

Cork has had a motorway for years. Its just got the wrong speed limit on it!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

darkman2 wrote:
    Oh yeah, the Fermoy bypass will be the first motorway in Cork. LOL! at least your starting to catch up:p

I could say something about Jack Lynch, the port and a tunnel...but i won't! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

DukeDredd wrote:
    I could say something about Jack Lynch, the port and a tunnel...but i won't! :D

The Jack Lynch tunnel - nothing more then a glorified underpass:p Let us know when you build a real tunnel:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 whateveryoulike

Advertisement