Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

setting up usb wifi in winxp.advice needed.

• 04-08-2006 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

i,m in netcafe ,with wireless acess ,with my laptop, got new wifi b/g usb sd121 adaptor , i click icon, in tray, it says wireless acess disconnected , netstumbler sees device sd121, it says no aps. Do i need to run the winxp home network wizard,to setup my pc for wifi acess in netcafes.I,M USING another pc here to acess the net,boards.ie .I have the laptop windows cdrom at home.Basically i want to use it in netcafes,wifi spots, do i set it to adhoc, or acess point mode.Any advice would be appreciated.IT appears in device manager,this device working properly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

ask the netcafe guys.
    youll need the ssid and wpa key

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

should i not see wifi network,in program,i downloaded,wifi radar program,is there a netcafe ,dublin,central,that has staff that,will check my usb card settings,to make sure thats it seup,up right, wep encrption etc, are will all default settings work in any wifi spot.i,m not trying to hack into a network, i just want to use my laptop in any netcafe.is there a site that will give general info,how to setup wifi card in winxp.?where would i find the standard winxp setting s for wifi in ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Sometimes hotspot providers hide SSID's in an attempt to stop WEP hackers as the wireless signal is not confined inside the walls of the premises. Ask staff how to set it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Anyon else get a headache form trying to read this? PLEASE learn to type, for all our sakes.

On topic, no cafe in their right mind would let un-authorised open access on their network, if you ain't paying you ain't surfing!

MC

I am happy to pay.I already said i,m not trying to hack into a network.I just thought ,that i would get a signal from wifi card eg, i turn on my friends dell ,it immediatly picks up a wifi netcafe, then i click icon,it asks for the network password.THIS is a brand new dell laptop,i presume it has been setup ,with standard settings for irish wifi networks.I have the wifi zd121 card installed,its in system tray, it says speed 54megs/per sec.Signal strength ;no signal.Its set in adhoc mode at present.MY friend is 50 miles away,so i cant copy her settings. I think the winxp settings may be wrong.My laptop is 1ghz c3 cpu,256meg ram,usb 2,winxp home.I ,m using the ethernet port to browse the net .Do i need to enable dhcp or something,in the wifi card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

should be set to infra structure mode, not ad hoc.
    try that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Read the manual for your wireless card. It prob has step by step instructions on how to configure the card.

Also sometimes the radio is switched off and you have to go into the configuration utility of the card to switch it on.

Ok ,ill try that.Do i need to set up default gateway for the usb card.Can i do that thru a dos command.Thanks for the help.

Set it so your ip address and dns are assigned automatically. That way no need to enter a gateway etc.

i just went to friend ,turned on laptop, it just picked up 2 eircom net wifi nodes ,in adhoc mode.I read manual 3 pages long ,it justs gives info re specs, and how to install drivers,xp, me ,win98.I cant, find menu, to put in back to wifi,infrastructure mode, netstubler, can see 2 wifi nodes,with lock, ie encrypted.This card is switched by default.Got 2 usb 2.0 units ,54meg/sec b/g wifi ,50euro for 4 2units,25euro each,thats why i got 2.

• Advertisement

SORRY ,for such a newbie question. When i use net wifi, in cafe do, i have to setup,new connection,or config in winxp , to browse the net thru internet explorer,like in tools options connections, or will ie automatically use the wifi connection?I usually use ethernet on my laptop,i just got wifi unit today.

Yes you will have to setup a new connection. But if you have configured windows to manage wireless connection it should display the list of available networks. You then just select the appropriate one and press connect. If the wireless network requires a passkey (if WEP or WPA is enabled) it should prompt you to enter this.

If I had a wireless connection I'd show you some screenshots but I don't on this PC I'm afraid.

What make and model of wireless card is it? And ignore what netstumbler is telling you, it's just going to confuse you.

Besides that, if you are in a net cafe ask the staff to help set your laptop up for their wireless. That's what they are there for.

Its STD 121 oem card from marx pcs,2 for 50euro,54megs/per sec. 802 b/g wifi usb 2.o .I went to wifi cafe.,pickup up signal,1 bar very low,wifi.the cafes i go to have 1 member ,of staff,i need to find netcafe with more techy staff.I think i just need to setup winxp to use the card to acess the web.Set up new network connection.

I,m getting fullsignal on card, 5bars, when i click ,ie it says no connection to the net, can anyone recommend netcafe with wifi, that has tech helpful staFF.I just need to set up browser to use a wifi connection,as it uses the ethernet at present.i think i need to set lan ,settings,lan ,settingsor use proxy in internet explorer connections.

Advertisement