Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle sourcing problem

Options
  • 04-08-2006 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

ANYBODY, BEFORE IVE GOTTA GO RACKING UP THE PHONE CREDIT TO SOURCE EM'

Hello lads right well ive come up with a "short list" for the next rifle.
    Its either gona be a .223 or a .22-250 havnt decided yet, i would say cost of ammo will be the clincher for me so if you could let me know the difference thanks!!!
    Anyway i was wondering if ye could be your usual helpful selves and help me with a sourcing problem.

Im having trouble sourcing four brands

Browning
    Steyr
    Winchester
    Weatherby

The others on my short list ive already found dealers for.
    1st off travelling for this rifle, or any of the above brands is not a problem, so any dealer anywhere in Rep of Ireland isnt out of the question.
    2nd cost isnt a problem either as i wont be getting it till next year and ive already started saving the pennies......

Any and all help as usual will be appreciated!!!

Having researched ballistic tables/trajectories etc, it seems the .22-250 has more velocity/stopping power than the .223(i do realise the .223 i adequate for the task i want it for[foxes]) and this i my reason for its consideration.
    Also i should note that 55gr. is all i will be running through any rifle i purchase(.22-250 or .223) so Rate of Twist isnt that much of a factor in my decision.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Cough!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

newby.204 wrote:
    Cough!!
    Here ya go-
    benylinchestycoughsnondrowsy225x225ld6.jpg

:D

Seriously though, I'd be suggesting the .223. It's hard to argue with <50 cents/round for FMJ and €1 or thereabouts for top quality hunting ammo.

If money really is no object, perhaps contacting John Green in Waterford or Ralf Niebauer in Clare about getting a custom rifle built mightn't be the worst idea in the world?
    I'm afraid I can be of no help finding sources for the makes you mention, but I adore my Remington 700 in .223, for what it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

i bought a steyr pro-hunter in a .223 this evening. the guy i used was paul walsh in gorey co.wicklow. it came to 1200euro (most guys would quote u about 1600 RRP) for the rifle with an additional 1000quid worth of goodies!

afraid i cant help u much on the other makes !

If you can give me the number of the two people you speak of id be glad to give them a ring. Its an avenue ive thought about but didnt know anyone in Ireland who built custom rifles.
    Rovi ha ha very funny pic, i like it.
    Iremex thanks for the info on the steyr its a help!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

newby.204 wrote:
    If you can give me the number of the two people you speak of id be glad to give them a ring.
    PM sent.

• Advertisement

got it thanks Rovi, PM'ed you back

Advertisement