Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do re property bought off plans?

Options
  • 04-08-2006 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I’ve recently bought a property off plans, and I’ve paid down 10% of the purchase prize.
    I have 50k in savings and I’m wondering what I should do with it in the meantime?
    It’ll be 18 months before its built, and I take it I can pay off a chunk of my mortgage from day one of paying my mortgage?
    One other option is for me to purchase a second property with a friend, but am I right in thinking that I cant do this until I start paying off property one, IE when it is built?
    I ‘under borrowed’ by about 50k to purchase the property off plans..so in theory if I went in with a friend I would be able to buy a second property.
    So two things, where can I put my money where it will work for me for the next 18 months?
    Should I use it to pay off a chunk of my mortgage when my home is built? Or should I use that 50k to buy second property with a friend?
    Anyone been in my position before, if so what did you do?

Comments

Check your mortgage - there may be a condition in it that the mortgagor must use his own funds first. If not, do what you like -it's a commercial decision that only you can make. If I could know whether buying now is right, or reducing my debt, then I would be a millionaire by next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Diaspora

I'd look at putting your €50k into a commercial property fund in the short term if you think that bricks and mortar are the one. Many of them have leverage structures of 70-85% so the returns are not much different but the risk is spread accross the market and for a 1-2% annual managment fee you have some of the best brains in the business making your decisions. The one proviso I'd look at is to check the exit charges.

Advertisement