Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what laptop

• 04-08-2006 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

hey I'm thinking bout buying myself a laptop. Just wondering if people had any opinions on what's good bad etc. still have to work out how much i'll have to spend on it

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Well, is it for Battlefield?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭cobrophy

Well the dilemma is to get one that runs battlefield or to get one that doesn't to make me do work on it.

To be honest I probably do need it to be able to run battlefield but I wouldn't say that's what it is for.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Probably get more of a response on the Laptops forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Well its all down to how you want to spend now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Do some lappys run BF2 okay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Do some lappys run BF2 okay?
    Yeah sure if you drop 2,500 plus on it....
    Im getting myself a macbook for the very reason that I wont be able to play bf2 on it:D
    Get some work done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

couldent you play bf2 if you used boot camp or whatever its called.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I run BF2 on an :

Acer Aspire 5020
    AMD Turion64 1.8Ghz
    1Gb RAM
    ATI x700

It really depends on what you plan on doing with the laptop as you can get them with 20" screens now and the best gfx cards or smaller more portable ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

runs nice and smooth on low settings on a inspiron 6000, 128mb ati x300, 1gb ram pentium mobile `1.73 ghz

whats the x1300 128mb and x1400 256mb like for bf2 anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I run BF2 stable on my Dell D600 (PM 1.6, 512 RAM DDR, ATi M9 32MB).

Everything low, 800 x 600, no AA, but a good and steady 25 FPS + with latest Omega drivers.

Not nearly nice enough for constant play (or 'main play' , i.e. you'd want a good desktop as well for online/eye candy), but good enough for the odd 20 mins here and there, between work sessions. Very tolerable map load times (under 20 secs), and will run up to 20 bots at the indicated FPS.

Put it that way: you wouldn't be tempted to play BF2 on it all the time ;)

That's a laptop which would set you about €375 second hand these days, by the way... Add a second modular bay battery (about €30), grab a USB mouse (the touchpad suckeh) and enjoy Lo-Fi™ BF2 in your garden for 3 to 4 hours :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

I have a dell XPS laptop. Runs all the latest games perfectly with all the high end options turned on. I dont have battlefield but I imagine it would run smoothly. The laptop runs Oblivion, FEAR, etc with no problems.

It was expensive but worth it.
    I am selling it, check out this link if you are interested.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=2907&cat=8

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭cobrophy

yea was thinking bout the Dell XPS.

alternative would be the Toshiba Qosimo but thats quite expensive.

Advertisement