Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Kilcoole

Options
  • 04-08-2006 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Well, the Regional Broadband bumf and registration forms arrived in the door yesterday and I'm wondering if anyone has any comment on the service. Any users in Kilcoole yet? Any one from any of the surrounding areas using Regional care to comment on the service their getting?

At the moment the only options I have are Vodafone's 3G and Regional. I'd like to get rid of the land line if I get one of these, but I'd like to know that I'd have a reliable service before I do that. I could live with periods of relatively poor performance, but complete outages would be a disaster...

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Regional bb are looking after the community group scheme in our area (north kildare) and i would be very interested to hear any reports from anyone about them,.,,By all accounts and from talking to them they seem ok... just waiting for service at the mo ,

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

I've been using them for a couple of weeks now and have had very little problem with the service. It was taken down for around an hour while they realigned an antenna but I was told about it in advance. Pings are good mid-20ms to both jolt and boards

From what I can see they are being relatively conservative in their rollout as they want to make sure they do not adversely impact existing customers as they add new ones.

HTH

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭goldilocked

Yea, thanks for that Mark.

I'm sending off the application form for Regional's service today...

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

Has anyone signed up for this service? It seems very expennsive for what is being offered!

I was interested but I don't like the idea of being ripped off for a service that people were getting 3 years ago - speeds have moved on since then!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭leaba

Hi there,

I'm in Kilcoole and got the service installed last week. I failed the initial site survey, but they have since installed a repeater in Kilcoole, and I'm right beside it.

The service I am getting right now is not good, but Regional are aware of it. They say that it's a new link, that they are still working on getting it working properly and that they are not charging for it until the problems are sorted. They said it should be sorted over the next few days. I'll post updates on the quality of the service when there's any change.

With regards to price/speed, it's gonna cost me the same as my flat rate dial up does right now, less if I cancel the phone line. I do agree its a little dear, but it's gotta be better than dial up.

Hi Leaba

I know what you mean about price Vs dialup - I am on ISDN flat rate ATM. It's just when you see what other people can get for teir money :(

I am stuck behind Tesco so I am not sure if I will be able to get it or not! Keep us posted on it anyway ;)

I've PM'd you regarding the location of the repeater Atlantean...

Well, last night, for the first time ever, I had a reasonable internet connection at home! The guys in Regional fixed whatever problems they were having on Wednesday night, and it wasn't until last night until I got to give it a try.

Speeds were good but variable, am only on the 1MB package and was getting anything from 200 to 800Mb down and >1MB up. More importantly, I didn't experience any connection dropouts in the 2 or so hours I was online. I did try it again this morning and the speeds were lower than last night...but I'll keep using it over the next few days and give another update of how its behaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Dmtiling

I just got this installed on wednesday. Still have no internet connection and im not one bit happy. They can't seem to work out why im not getting a connection at all. The helpline isn't very helpfull at all. I was givin no explanation as to what to do after they installed it. They just left me a wire hanging out of a box in the attic. Not a very good service in my opinion so far. Hopefully things will change.

• Advertisement

I take it you have to config the setup on your machine yourself?

They must provide you with some info?

I got no info - Only after the second time ringing them did they run through config with me which didn't work...

When I asked them about setting up a wireless router in the house because I have four computers i need to connect to the net they said that they don't do support for routers and once they have installed there end its thats all they can provide info for.

Just think its a very bad setup if you ask me.

Have broadband in the house but still need to use diallup to connect to the net to write this post.

Also they told me last night they would ring me at 10 thismornin but I still haven't heard from them - its now 12.20

Had to update this.

I finally got it sorted. I switched one of the leads going to the box they provided with a lead I had and it now works grand.

Okay Dmtiling, so you had trouble with a faulty cable..it happens. My understanding is that Regional wont charge until the connection is fully functional and its a new link, so I suppose you have to cut them a bit of slack.

The email I got from them to tell me that the link should be working was sent at 23:50, so these guys are working on their problems.

You can set up a wireless router no bother. That's what I did. Went to PC World in Carrickmines, purchased a belkin wireless router for around 80 quid. Got the guys to terminate the ethernet in the attic (They did offer to run it to a point in the sitting room, but I didn't want cable running down the wall) and followed the very simple instructions that came with the router and it worked out of the box. Total setup time from nothing to secured wireless network...20 minutes.

If you need a hand or have any questions just gimme a shout.

Router etc all works grand mow.

Dmtiling wrote:
    Router etc all works grand mow.
    What kind of speeds are you getting?

Its very fast - not to sure of exact speed. A file that would normally take nearlly an hour took under a minute.

Dmtiling wrote:
    Its very fast - not to sure of exact speed. A file that would normally take nearlly an hour took under a minute.
    :eek: That's not bad!

There still seems to be some problems with the connection. I was working away this morning and the speeds were great and there was no connection problems.

When I arrived back this afternoon, i had no connectivity. Was like this for about 20 mins, now I seem to have patchy connectivity...there one minute gone the next. I'm gonna mail the guys in RB again and see what they say....

Yea I have no connection since saturday afternoon.

• Advertisement

I got an email off the guys in RB today apologizing for the down time and saying that they have done a complete rehaul of the system over the weekend and that there should be no more problems.

Connection is steady this evening with speeds of 100-300 Mb/s. I'll update the on the status of the service over the next few days.

Im back online now aswell. Was on the phone with RB today and they said everything should be ok from now on.

Connection gone again this evening..have mailed the guys....you gone too DM?

Connection is back up now, but seems to be running fairly slow. Seems to be a bit of packet loss too. I've mailed the guys in RB and am awaiting a response.

I can understand initial problems but this ON - OFF for so long seems very bad form to me!

Well, its been back since yesterday evening and the guys aren't charging for it yet. I got a mail from them today saying that they were still working on it, and that it should be stable soon. I'll let you know how it is.

An initial teething phase wouldn't bother me too much...

Connection was okay last night, no dropouts and speed was fair. ~200 - 250 Kb/s. Connection this morning was very quick, ~1Mb/s, which is the fastest I've seen it yet. Hopefully there'll be no more problems with the link...

Was away for the weekend, so didn't get to use the link at all, but reliability and connection speeds have been good the last two days. Last night I was getting around 400-500 Kb/s and the 1Mb/s this morning.

Also, I cancelled my flat rate dialup with eircom last week and this week my line has gone from a fail for dsl on the eircom site, to a "Line suitable for Broadband" this week.

How annoying is that...

leaba wrote:
    Also, I cancelled my flat rate dialup with eircom last week and this week my line has gone from a fail for dsl on the eircom site, to a "Line suitable for Broadband" this week.
    Which exchange are you on - Greystones or Newtownmountkennedy?

• Advertisement

Greystones...

Advertisement