Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xp Pro VS Win 2003

• 04-08-2006 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Got a nice new dell. I have windows 2003 and windows xp pro I'll have to install one of them. Can anyone tell me about any drawback on the 2003 ? The reason I'm going for 2003 over XP is so that I can use termial services as there will be times I need to do the work remotely.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

2003 is not designed with interactivity in mind. The install out-of-the-box is far more locked down than the XP install. On top of that, you'll have issues with certain drivers, and games and other apps may have problems with it. It's not designed as a desktop OS.

You can use remote desktop with Windows XP, the only difference being that only one person can be logged onto the machine at a time. Do you need to have multiple users logged on at the same time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

damnyanks wrote:
    Howdy,

Got a nice new dell. I have windows 2003 and windows xp pro I'll have to install one of them. Can anyone tell me about any drawback on the 2003 ? The reason I'm going for 2003 over XP is so that I can use termial services as there will be times I need to do the work remotely.

http://www.logmein.com

Slap xp on it and use that ^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Just myself. The main problem I have with using VNC type app's is that tehy are sooooooooooooooo slow. terminal services has so far been the only truely good client I've used.

How can I get remote desktop to allow connections from random IP's? I've never got it to work outside of MSN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Assuming it's XP Pro - right-click on My Computer, go to Properties, then Remote, the click the box that says "Allow user to connect remotely to this machine".

However, having a machine on the net with the RDP port wide open is not a wise idea, whatever the OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Brilliant, exactly wht I wanted. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

The drawback with Windows Server 2003 is the licencing. You have to be sure you have the right licences for what you want to do with it, and then you have to be sure you have the right version. To be honest, stick with XP Pro, and enable the remote desktop, its a lot easier.

Win2K3 doesnt include Terminal Services CALs so you cant legaly use it for remote access AFAIK.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Win2K3 doesnt include Terminal Services CALs so you cant legaly use it for remote access AFAIK.
    you are limited to two clients unless you purchase extra licenses and then you have to ring up m$ to get them activated.

2k3 has different tcp/ip problems/niggles to XP, which doesn't bode well for the pre service pack releases of vista which has new networking code.

VNC is also kinda handy for remote management.

regardless of which remote management option you use you would need a VPN to create a secure tunnel back if you are going across the internet

Advertisement