Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Towing requirements

Options
  • 04-08-2006 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hello,
    I need to tow the car from Drogheda to Dublin South.
    What are requirements for cars marking (i.e. must I have the emergency lights/sygnalisers on?) Can I tow on the motorway or Garda can fine me for that?
    What are general rules for the towing on the public road?

Thak you for serious answers!
    Regards,
    Rafal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

To be legally covered you need to meet the following requirements

- Towed car must be broken down.
    - Towed car must be insured, taxed, NCT'd.
    - Towed car must display 'On Tow' sign (plus hazard lights activated - except when turning)
    - Driver of towed car must hold a Full Licence.
    - Towing device must be capable of the job (i.e. no old dodgy rope)

Actually, I would highly recommend a Towing Bar (Halfords do one for c.€30) rather than a rope. Much more secure, especially if driver of towed car isn't used to being towed.
    It's very easy to cause an accident if driver of towed car is not concentrating 100%. I know, I used to do lots of towing in my motor trade days.

If you are going to use a Tow Dolly or A-Frame, the situation is a bit more complicated (legally speaking). Both these devices are only for 'Recovery to the nearest place of safety' not long range transportation.

Having said that, people often 'take a chance' and tow without any of the above requirements being met, but if anything goes wrong, "you're up the creek without a paddle" !

I would avoid the motorway if at all possible.

At the end of the day, it may well be better to borrow/hire a car transporter trailer and move the car that way. (Check your cover with insurance co).
    It's the safest way!

Advertisement