Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferring a year / Repeating a year

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

I agree with Steph, Dave - go with your gut. You'll know within about half an hour to yourself whether you made the right choice or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Dave, email your departments or the student counsellors... speaking to someone is person WILL clear your mind up a little even though they may be a little biased encouraging you stay in college.

Having a degree boosts your career opportunities but having a degree in something you have zero interest or zero desire for will do little for you personally.

Your decision to stay or leave should revolve around you, your attitude to your course and your future aspirations. If there is something else you want to do and you are 100% sure you want to do it then go do it, if you're uncertain about the outside world and you're doing well in college then it could be best to stick with what you have got.

Whatever you choose you'll always bug yourself over what would have happened if you did the opposite.... in this case, if you're 50/50 I may advise sticking with college because you'll more likely bug yourself over leaving college more than other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cheers for that dudes!

I'm gonna type up the letter requesting the defferal tonight, and I'm gonna bring it into college tomorrow morning, and if I can find a student counsellor then I'll have a chat with one of them (will there be any in there now?).

If I can't then I'll have to decide myself whether or not to hand it in!

Gah :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

Dave if ya are defering and Im not going to advice ya either way you dont know me from Adam, its your decision. you dont need to type up a letter or anything. After you talk to the student councellor people (which is a good idea) all you need to do is get a form from the student desk and hand it in. couldnt be simpler!

You sure? Cos they said otherwise in the email! Perhaps it's changed this year?

Do you think there'd be a student counsellor in the college now? do i need to make an appointment or anythin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Aisling O' Grady is the Arts Student advisor. Info page located here: http://www.ucd.ie/advisers/advisers_ogrady.html

All the other student advisors are on that list too.

Colleen Blaney the eng student advisor is definately around if you're really stuck as i got an email from her on friday about orientation as she's organising the volunteers for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Colleen Blaney the eng student advisor is definately around if you're really stuck

Sheesh, she isnt that bad:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

It's very true, she isn't that bad, but she's the eng advisor. Helping an arts student may be a little interesting.... She'll know the courses and all

Sarcasm also noted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

DaveMcG wrote:
    You sure? Cos they said otherwise in the email! Perhaps it's changed this year?

QUOTE]

Oh maybe it has, sorry! Are you just finished first year maybe and part of the whole horizons dealio? that could be why its different.

Alright folks, it's official! I've deferred!

I rang up the Arts programme office, spoke to Aoife Duignan, and I think she just fiddled about on the computer, and did it there and then!

I was told to send a short email to ba@ucd.ie, just so that they have a written record of it, and I got a reply noting my deferral, and I'll be scheduled to return in September '07.

Now... where the f*ck am I gonna work? :( lol

I'm scared! Thanks for ye'r help folks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

DaveMcG wrote:

I rang up the Arts programme office, spoke to Aoife Duignan, and I think she just fiddled about on the computer, and did it there and then!

I was told to send a short email to ba@ucd.ie, just so that they have a written record of it, and I got a reply noting my deferral, and I'll be scheduled to return in September '07.

Cool didn't think you would do it.Best of luck working ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

DaveMcG wrote:

Fair play to you mate for making your choice. The good thing with deferring instead of just quitting is you will have the option of returning to college.

Good luck, take care and come to a beers! :)

Cheers fellas! Sh*tting meself bout it now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

DaveMcG wrote:
    Cheers fellas! Sh*tting meself bout it now! :D
    Good luck Dave. I hope it goes well for you and that the year helps you decide what you want to do in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Yeah good luck Dave,
    Did anyone else smile when they read this or am I just a child?!
    she just fiddled about on the computer, and did it there and then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Good luck, Dave! I'ma gonna miss you next year :(

Cheers lads! :D Ye're very supportive, etc! Wish my parents were as enthusiastic :D Ahh well!

I'll put the year to good use, I promise... I'll make it the best year of my life thus far ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

dave what did you say to the woman? i'm doing this too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

^Pfft, quitters. It's straight back to the start of 2nd year for me....:(

:(

ferdi, I just rang up this person...

Programme Office Administrator:
    Aoife Duignan
    Tel: + 353 1 716 8562

...and told her I'm a student doing a BA with Computer Science, and I'd like to defer entry to second year. She asked my student number, and asked if I passed all my exams, because "deferring is no problem once you're in good standing academically." Too lazy to go back and check, but I think you said that you failed some exams... so that might present a problem! I dunno though, so just give her a ring and find out! Anyway, she just "fiddled";) about on the computer for a minute, then told me that it's fine, and to email ba@ucd.ie so that there's a written record of it.

Pretty easy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 AoiFa

hi, I was just wondering if anybody could help me with my question! I've just taken a year out due to failing an exam so I'm goin back into third year in sept.. I know i definatly want to go back and do this year. The only problem is that next summer my boyfriend is goin travelling as are some of my friends.they've all finished college. I'd love to go too for the year but I'd have to defer again next year between third and fourth year. Is this allowed after having taken a year off already!? I know that I would have been able to defer this year and taken two years off in a row.. but im not sure if you're able to go back then take the following year out! I really dont want to miss out on the travelling with my friends etc :confused::o :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

That's a bit of a predicament alright... but I'd imagine that if they let you take two consecutive ones then they really ought not to have too much of a complaint for two disjointed ones, if you're willing to let yourself go back to a modular system.

Advertisement