Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 98 video issue

• 04-08-2006 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

I have an old Dell that is having some video issues. Its running Windows 98 (not SE) 333mhz, 384mb RAM, some sort of graphics card 8mb of memory on it anyway). Regardless of that, it should still play the videos correctly yes? Theres about 4gbs free on the system. Any sort of video clip (avi, mpg or divx) seems to go in slow motion and the sound not in sync at all. I have Klite codec pack installed. Windows Media player 7 wont play it probably, neither will VLC, Media Player Classic or DivX player. I reckon all the codecs I need are installed, Xvid and ffdshow as well as the others. Any other ideas? I'm sure it can be rectified.
    Also I want to upgrade to 98 SE, I assume Microsoft don't see it anymore and I have seen a few on eBay that claim to be legit but I'm not too sure.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Confirm the correct codec is installed using g-spot.
    Does other stuff (Games,etc.) work ok? I don't suppose it has a DVD player? Can you play from (V)CD/DVD ok?
    Is DMA enabled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

According the G-spot the correct codecs are installed already. Games have no problem (that have some sort of multimedia in them, run fine). It has a CDRW and DMA is enabled. I'll see if theres any difference running some clips from a CD.

DMA for HDD enabled? It should be enabled by default - just to check if there's an issue there (Config. or driver issue)
    What's the system/CPU usage like when there's an issue?

DMA enabled on HD. The CPU usage hovers around 95-100% when running the videos.:eek:

I'm on IRC if you want to troubleshoot further:p

• Advertisement

Karoma wrote:
    I'm on IRC if you want to troubleshoot further:p

Ah do I have to resort to IRC tactics again. :)

Yes. }:}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Deneb

Ruu wrote:
    I have an old Dell that is having some video issues. Its running Windows 98 (not SE) 333mhz, 384mb RAM, some sort of graphics card 8mb of memory on it anyway). Regardless of that, it should still play the videos correctly yes? Theres about 4gbs free on the system. Any sort of video clip (avi, mpg or divx) seems to go in slow motion and the sound not in sync at all. QUOTE]

My PC (I'm planning to upgrade) has a similar spec 333MHz. I also use Windows98. I have an old graphics card (Rage Pro 3D I think, it's not actually a 3D card at all, just dubiously named). I had difficulty running some video clips until recently I downloaded a load of updated codecs. Since then everything runs sweetly. And how much memory have I got on this PC? Would you believe I've only 64KB!
    All I can suggest is that you recheck the codecs Ruu.

PS, has anyone ever connected a similar specced PC to broadband? Was it successful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Connected a 166MHz Pentium before and had no probs, that only had 32MB of memory so with 64MB you should be grand. In fact same machine can still surf no probs, albeit slowly!

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

have you tried playing a dvd on it? I had similar problems with a dodgy video card a few years back. Has the bios and any VGA memory settings? if so try increasing them.

• Advertisement

BrianjG, don't think theres any video options in the BIOS will check. It plays WMV files perfectly it seems. No DVD ROM so can't check it but might stick in a spare one I have and check it later. I reckon its a codec problem (with DivX) so will double check things later on, that or Windows 98(first ed.) is a load of tosh. :)

Deneb, never connected to BB, planning on connecting it to the cable internet at some stage. It has 384mb of RAM and thats the maximum the mobo will allow. I'll download more codecs later on and give it a go, gspot tells me I have all the codecs I need. It just plays the videos in super slow motion and the sound is out of sync and video is choppy at times. Theres something small I am overlooking.

Advertisement