Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just waxed the car!

Options
  • 04-08-2006 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

It looks great! Should I powerwash it down now after doing it or is it alright.

How often do you wax your car?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't power wash a car full stop, always do it by hand using the 3 bucket method (asuming car not too dirty) with a sponge for each bucket and then a rince. Use warm but not hot water.

I wax my car as often as I win the lotto (almost).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Leave it a day before you wash it, just to make sure the wax is dry. Incidentally, what wax did you use, how difficult was it to apply, and what were the results like?

Mike - why not powerwash? I use a karcher on mine, and have never had problems.

Did you ever end up pushing some hard edged dirt into the paint? Or drag the hose over a wing or the bonnet and spot a nasty rubbing mark?

Admittedly pure black paint is particularly bad for that sort of thing....

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Fey! wrote:
    Leave it a day before you wash it, just to make sure the wax is dry. Incidentally, what wax did you use, how difficult was it to apply, and what were the results like?

Mike - why not powerwash? I use a karcher on mine, and have never had problems.

I powerwash cars as a valeter in a dealer.

The wax I use is Nielsen Liquid Gold. OP, I'd leave it a few days before washing it to allow the wax to bed in the paintwork.

Mike - I hear what you're saying about trying to deal with black!!! I tend to avoid pulling the hose over the bodywork, though!

Squirrel - ever use Meguairs? They do a spray on NXT wax that is very easy to work with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

I used Auto Glym - Super resin polish. It cost 11.50 for 325ml and I only used a tad over half the bottle. It did a great job!

Mike65: My cars black, can you elaborate on this 3 bucket method?

Im just after going out to the car to check what wax I used and theres a ****in cat underneath it. Anybody any idea how to keep the f*cker away from me car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

mike65 wrote:
    Don't power wash a car full stop, always do it by hand using the 3 bucket method (asuming car not too dirty) with a sponge for each bucket and then a rince. Use warm but not hot water.

Why not?

I always powerwash the cars. Only damage I did so far was blow about 4 inches of paint off the mondeo bumper! :) It is an industrial CAT pumps washer though, and I wasn't really paying attention.

Powerwashing will get rid of all the largish particles leaving only a very thin harmless film that you can sponge off without doing any damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Turtle wax wash and wax is great too its in a clear bottle. I find after washing the car if you clean it with window cleaner like CIF or Windowlene it gets rid of water marks on the paint and is like giving the car a wax at the same time without doing a major job (a short cut I know but it works for me :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

junii wrote:
    Im just after going out to the car to check what wax I used and theres a ****in cat underneath it. Anybody any idea how to keep the f*cker away from me car.
    Speaking of powerwashers.....:D

I am joking of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 whateveryoulike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Auto Glym is the bees knees. Used Turtle once, never again.[/QUOTE]

I've used turtle wax for years and never had any problems, its cheap and cheerful I know but easy to use. I'd recommend the colour magic waxes too especially for reds....trust me I'm a panel beater. :D

I use Meguiars NXT spray on.

Mike.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

mike65 wrote:

Mike.
    No sponges.

Use a mitt because otherwise you're pushing dirt around between 2 flat surfaces.

Well I should clarrify I use a mitt type object (which is now loosing its threads) on the middle bucket ie the actual washing part (TurtleWax Wash n Wax). Sponges are for the initial wetting and the washing off.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I use this guy http://www.alldumb.com/item/27893/

My little 650 Kawasaki deserves it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

junkyard wrote:
    Turtle wax wash and wax is great too its in a clear bottle. I find after washing the car if you clean it with window cleaner like CIF or Windowlene it gets rid of water marks on the paint and is like giving the car a wax at the same time without doing a major job (a short cut I know but it works for me :) )

Great tip. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

I use turtle wax xtreme nano stuff. Its great for getting the bugs off.
    Then I get the chamois out, which gets rid of all watermarks. (be very careful with windolene on plastics!!!)
    Then I give it a going over with Rock Oil Silicone protector spray (and polish off). This is great for giving a nice shine, and also stops road dirt sticking, and lets water run off easily. If not available I use Autoglym Instant show shine, which is good, but not as good as the rock oil stuff.
    Every now and then(once every 2 months maybe) I use Autoglym Super resin polish, which is excellent.

junkyard wrote:

I thought that getting the likes of windolene on your paint was bad for the paintwork??

Junii - Autoglym is excellent; I use AG degreaser on my engine, followed by AG vinyl protector (run the engine for 10 minutes after, then just give everything a quick wipe down). Comes up beautifully.
    Tried Simonez engine cleaner on the gf's car last week; not a patch on the AG stuff.

For the body, it's all Maguairs - NXT wash, dry (use an AG blade - cost about €30 but well worth it - followed by a microfibre cloth), ScratchX (if needed), NXT wax spray, gold shine.
    Megs do an excellent alloy wheel cleaner, but don't leave it on too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Fey! wrote:
    Squirrel - ever use Meguairs? They do a spray on NXT wax that is very easy to work with.

Never used Meguairs. In work we used a Car Brite wax, but I was advised to go for the Liquid Gold, the guy who sells it only sells to the trade and I got a gallon for €40. For washing I use Car Brite Cherry Bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mike65 wrote:
    I use Meguiars NXT spray on.

Mike.

Can Meguiar products be bought online as any places I have looked don't stock it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Your local rip-off Halfords stock most Meguirs stuff. I have the Clay Bar, ScratchX and Wax by them. All really good stuff.

There is an offical Meguiars wholesaler but he is'nt answering e-mails, I bought mine from a UK site.

http://www.performancemotorcare.com/

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

three bucket method ? ive heard of the 2 but never a 3

I wet car, wash car, rinse car.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

how come you dont use the wollen mits ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I've just done mine too. wash then wax. Junii did you mean yoiu washed and waxed it but you're gonna wash it again, never heard of that

I used colour magic, but the back to black still overlapped on the paintwork even though I used masking tape.:(

pics in relevant thread

elexes I use a wool pad thing for the washing part.

I gave the barge a proper wash for the first time tonight and it looks grand, pity about the stone chips which are being dealt with one at a time!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

junkyard wrote:
    Turtle wax wash and wax is great too

Yeah that's working grand for me too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Using a powerwash isn't a problem when washing a car. Only problem which might arise is if you see a chip on a painted bumper and hold the lance too close, which might peel off more paint.

I wash my car weekly using Turtle Wash n Wax, then dry it off with a leather shammy. It really makes a big difference when you spend the 5 mins or so drying off the car - no water markes are left on the paintwork or windows, and it looks like you just waxed the car!

I try to wax my car at least every six months. I have used many polishes over the years, and find Auto Glym and Turtle Wax to be the best.

Silvera
    (Ex-Panel Beater)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Silvera wrote:
    I wash my car weekly using Turtle Wash n Wax, then dry it off with a leather shammy. It really makes a big difference when you spend the 5 mins or so drying off the car - no water markes are left on the paintwork or windows, and it looks like you just waxed the car!

I wash my car once in a while :)

Powerwash, Turtle Wash 'n Wax and indeed drying off with a chamois makes a difference

Advertisement