Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ticketed at what speed?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The 10% you refer is not a guarranteed figure and for all you know your car is showing an accurate figure.
    Therefore, by driving 15-20% over the posted limit you are doing between 138 and 144km/h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I've checked it with several GPS devices, including some very expensive aviation/surveying ones, and a hand held radar gun, and they all agree: true 120Km/h = indicated 132Km/h.

Rovi wrote:
    I've checked it with several GPS devices, including some very expensive aviation/surveying ones, and a hand held radar gun, and they all agree: true 120Km/h = indicated 132Km/h.
    Thats fair enough but if you look further up the page you will see...
    eoin_s wrote:
    I was quite surprised to find that the speedo in my car and the GPS are always within 1km/h of each other at any speed, even after putting bigger wheels on the car.
    You cannot assume your speedo is incorrect without having it tested against something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Hypothetically speaking if I was pulled for foing 41 in a 40k zone, handed a ticket and given a court date I wouldn't be sweating buckets because I know i'd get off scot free. With a speed gun there is a certain margin for error because they accurate within a certain %. For that speed all I would have to do is insist I was doing 39K and it would be very very hard to prove me wrong.

Uncertainty is the key, where there is doubt there can be no conviction in these cirumstances. Also I can't imagine a judge being too amused at the guard who brings you before the court over a 1kmh speed breach. I know if I was a judge i'd roast a guard for wasting the tax payers money and the courts time.

According to Irish legislation the speed detection equipment is assumed to be calibrated correctly so that would not work as an excuse.
    I dug it out before, I can't be bothered doing it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

kbannon wrote:
    You cannot assume your speedo is incorrect without having it tested against something else.

I meant I was surprised that it was pretty much dead on the money. I didn't assume it was 10% out.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,767 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

eoin_s wrote:
    I meant I was surprised that it was pretty much dead on the money. I didn't assume it was 10% out.
    i think he was highlighting your post, as opposed to questioning it.

Advertisement