Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanted black cocker spaniel

Options
  • 04-08-2006 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Looking for a black cocker spaniel puppy in the wicklow/wexford region
    or if anyone knows where I could try would be appreciated (except buy and sell)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I got my Blue Roan Cocker from a breeder in Co. Limerick. I found him on the Cocker Spaniel UK website and he was in charge of the Irish branch. He had lots of different colours and he had a black one too. I'll find his details if you can't find them. You should consider a Blue Roan or one of the other Roans because the single colour Spaniels tend to be a bit cranky.
    Here are a few pictures of my Puppy and a black Cocker. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

junkyard wrote:
    I got my Blue Roan Cocker from a breeder in Co. Limerick. I found him on the Cocker Spaniel UK website and he was in charge of the Irish branch. He had lots of different colours and he had a black one too. I'll find his details if you can't find them. You should consider a Blue Roan or one of the other Roans because the single colour Spaniels tend to be a bit cranky.
    Here are a few pictures of my Puppy and a black Cocker. :)
    Thanks very much for the info will have a browse now you were saying the black ones are a bit cranky:D your dog is a little beauty and I will look for a blue roan
    I was talking to an ex breeder of these dogs and asked if they are suitable for a child of 4yrs. she said they were I know I should do a full research on the breed but from your experience with your dog anything I should be aware of??Are they easy to train?? This dog wont be used for showing or anything but will be well loved and cared for we were thinking of a bitch but the breeder said they were cranky too:D the dog will be neutered straight away so will it make a difference if we still wanted a bitch?I know we should research and will do but as an owner yourself I thought you might advise.
    Thanks again.

I'm on my fourth one, three females and one male. The females tend to be friendlier and don't stray. I'll always have at least one as a pet, they have a beautiful temperment, very loyal, easy to train but a bit head strong and great with kids. I don't think you could get a better family pet tbh.

Make sure you get to see the parents, a lot of puppy farming going on around the place. I'd still be inclined to go to the guy in Limerick for my dog if I were you. Good luck though with your choice, If it was me I'd take the two rather than one, I'd hate to break up the family.:D If you have any concerns or questions let me know as I'm sure I've already experienced most things with them.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

junkyard wrote:
    I got my Blue Roan Cocker from a breeder in Co. Limerick. :)

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW:o That first picture would melt hearts!! He/she is sooooo cuddly wuddly!!!!!! :D

*AHEM*

Beer, rugby, and tits.

• Advertisement

junkyard wrote:
    Make sure you get to see the parents, a lot of puppy farming going on around the place. I'd still be inclined to go to the guy in Limerick for my dog if I were you. Good luck though with your choice, If it was me I'd take the two rather than one, I'd hate to break up the family.:D If you have any concerns or questions let me know as I'm sure I've already experienced most things with them.:)
    I have been on the site you mentioned but could not see a breeder from limerick
    however,I spotted a breeder from laois selling golden ones, blue roans and
    springers I am a bit worried as 1 of the blue roans looks a bit smaller than the other.I have had an experience with a puppy farm already:mad: And it was in Limerick also.(long story)The shine on your dogs coats is amazing:D

My dog gets better attention than I do hence the shiny coat.:D I'll get his details for you.
    The breeder I got my dog from is Mr. R. Kelly,
    Sandown Kennels,
    Ardagh,
    Co. Limerick. Phone: 056 28219.
    But when I looked up his name on the Cocker Spaniel Club website there was also another listing just below him for another breeder, Dublin Cocker Spaniel Club,
    Mrs. B Knowles,
    Larch Hill,
    Baltinglass,
    Co. Wicklow. Phone: 045 404880.
    Hope one of these work out for you and don't forget to show us photos when you get the puppy.:)

junkyard wrote:
    we finally found a breeder but tragiclally 3 puppies died over the weekend,1 of
    them was supposed to be ours,and although we never seen it we feel awful
    like a bereavement.The breeder put me in touch with the stud dogs owners
    who has 2 litters and the bitch we were looking for but I feel something isnt right:confused: I was asked to come and see the new litters which are only 2 days old but I declined.I just feel in shock at the moment.I know these things happen but it was the last thing I expected to hear today.What can you or anyone advise.Should I take a look at this other litter in a few weeks?? I know puppy farms are out there, am I been paronoid??The stud dog has 3 litters within a short time only days between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Bettyboop wrote:
    I know puppy farms are out there, am I been paronoid??The stud dog has 3 litters within a short time only days between them.

That isn't necessarily a sign of a puppy farm.
    In "show" circles, everyone wants to breed off the current champion, so one dog fathering several litters all over the place and in a short time is quite common.

If one were to be nasty one could say that this practice constitutes "farming" for papers and potential future champions ...but one wouldn't want to be nasty now, would one??? :rolleyes:

I'd still be inclined to deal with the breeder in Limerick tbh. I found him very upfront, knew everything about the breed and wasn't pushy or just in it for the money, he really loved his dogs. I generally don't have much respect for people who breed dogs just for money and I'd be wary of the situation you just mentioned.:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement